“Nice retreat...but needs a few changes.”

Alpenhorn Bed and Breakfast Inn
san Diego
“Nice retreat...but needs a few changes.”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We enjoyed our visit...would probably return for a second visit because we loved the wonderful, homecooked breakfasts...but needs a few improvements on making guests happy.
There were hardly any guests there at the time we were there...yet the staff neglected to give us clean towels the second day. I waited and waited...finally had to ask for clean towels and they handed me only 2 bath towels. I had to ask for clean wash cloths and hand towels and she had to get them out of the dryer. I really like clean towels each day...and don't want them at 5:30 at night after I ask. Also... we looked forward to the cookies and little snacks that were supposed to be provided in the evening...but they were sporadic on when they served them. It didn't happen every night...which was disappointing.
I would definitely give this another chance...there were many neat things about the grounds, the house is very pretty and clean and the staff was nice. I think maybe they need to be a little more consistant .
It is very relaxing to sit out in the huge back yard area..with benches and interesting things to look at.... like cute bird houses and a little fishing bear statue by some running water.
I really think maybe we happened to be there during a stressful time for the owner..and maybe that is why it seemed that a few things were forgotten.
Would recommend this to others...if you can get it on a special deal...it is still very nice....even with the minor irritations.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pah8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Thank you Alpenhorn (and Groupon!) for the awesome balcony room, the satisfying breakfasts, a picturesque setting, and gracious service! We could not have asked for more during our first ever B&B experience. I loved the communal atmosphere and despite the close quarters in this home-like inn, we barely heard a peep from anyone. We all got along great and everyone was super friendly. The owner Linda was ever helpful and we liked her immediately. Breakfast was always tasty and had us so full that we rarely needed to have lunch. I will definitely keep this place in mind should we ever come back to play in Big Bear!

Room Tip: There's envelopes that request gratuity
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank miship00
Southern Cali
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This was the second bed and breakfast I have ever been too and I won't be going back. While the location was pretty good, a few blocks away from the lake and there was plenty of parking I felt it wasn't the quality that I now expect to find in a B&B.

Normally when we go to Big Bear we try to find cheaper priced cabins or condos on the lake. The price per night of the room you get at this B&B is not worth paying for. You can rent a small cabin for the same price and while you don't get a breakfast you still have a kitchen and can make your own breakfasts and you have the privacy of your own place.

The doors to the rooms seem very thin and made it feel like you are staying in an actual home. While I understand this is a home, sometimes you want to be able to talk freely and not feel people outdoors can hear you. The mattress was outdated and not very comfortable. The two things that bothered me the most were the fact that you could not turn on your fireplace in the summer. While we were in Big Bear the temperature in the afternoon fell to a good 50 degrees and there was rain. I wanted to go to my room and sit in front of a warm fire and we could not. Second, they do have cable but there is no tv guide on the tv remote or in the room so if you want to watch tv you have to scroll through each channel to try to find something you want to watch. It was ridiculous. I would recommend them buying old boxes from the companies so people could at least have a guide of what is on at what time.

The only other problem I had was the breakfasts. I stayed in a B&B in Kentucky and the food was the best I have ever had. Every day was different and every day was something amazing. Not here...every day you get the same oatmeal and fruit with yogurt. They are good for a day or two but after three days you get tired of eating the same thing. The first morning we were there we were served waffles that I swear were microwaved and hard as rocks. I couldn't even put a fork through it so I didn't touch it. I would have been embarrassed to serve that to my guests. The next two days we did have a good batch of french toast and an egg casserole dish but that waffle will never leave my mind.

So, overall, I would recommend not staying at this B&B. Spend your money on a personal cabin or condo close to the lake. You will love it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank travelinmama13
San Diego, CA
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We had previously stayed at the Alpenhorn about 4 years before and loved it. We booked for December 2010, and made our reservations 10 days ahead of time. At the time, the long-term forecast was for good weather. When I gave her the credit card, she was clear that there was a non-refundable first night as a deposit. Unfortunately, the weather progressively worsened and one day before we were supposed to drive up the weather called for 6-8" of rain and a high wind advisory, 50mph. Specifically, the local weather report site said "Everyone is advised to drive carefully, watch for debris in the roadway, be aware of high winds, and stay home unless travel is absolutely necessary." I called to report that there would be no way for us to make it traveling with a 3-year-old in a 2 wheel drive vehicle. I'd of happily gone if it was just a matter of not enough snow, but I was afraid for our safety with these reports, and I made this distinction very clear to the proprietor. I hoped and expected that with such rare severe weather, the proprietor would let us apply the deposit to a future stay. Both at the time of my call and later when we called when the web showed last minute room availability, the answer was no. So, although we really enjoyed our experience the first time, I can't recommend this hotel due to a very strict "use it or lose it" policy. If you do decide to book here, I would recommend waiting on booking until the weather forecast is absolutely clearcut.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank TravelLght
Fullerton, California
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Location is awesome, very close to Snow Summit. Got so much snow this past weekend that we had to dig our car out. Breakfast is delicious, very innovative with breakfast items (chile rellano casserole, caramelize banana oatmeal). Linda is friendly and helpful. Had a great experience, couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank EvilLion
Irvine, California
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Our family arrived late Friday night for a weekend getaway in Big Bear. We had never stayed at the Alpenhorn B&B before and weren't sure what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised by the comfortable homelike atmosphere. The upstairs room we selected in advance via Internet reservations was ready with two extra beds as we had requested. The room was clean and included a queen size bed with plenty of extra pillows and blankets, a sitting area, fire place and a TV armoire with dvd player. Our bathroom was large and had Jacuzzi tub complete with bath salts. The next morning at breakfast, we were graciously greeted by the owner Linda and her assistant who were just serving breakfast - delicious oatmeal brulee, peach buns, yogurt parfait, fresh fruit and more. No detail was left unattended. Flavored rock candy stir sticks were provided to accent the hot tea, coffee and hot chocolate that was available all day. In the afternoon, a selection of appetizers and wine were served and in the evening yummy snacks (homemade brownies, cookies, chocolates, pretzels, and nuts were available.) We would have loved to have the recipes for everything we ate during our visit. Throughout our stay, the staff was very kind and helpful. The inn was stocked with a great selection of movies, magazines, books and games. They even had a ping pong table. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank SamMick8
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed January 12, 2011

From the moment we arrived at Alpenhorn the spoiling began! We dragged ourselves away from the delicious afternoon feast and wine to a guestroom with a roaring fire and a view of the winter wonderland beyond our balcony. The peaceful, elegant surroundings are second only to attitude of our hosts, Linda and Tim, whose hospitality exceeded expectations -- they even helped put on our tire-chains! Heated floors in the bathroom, beautifully appointed public rooms and guest rooms and sumptuous meals made our winter escape exactly the romantic holiday we've been dreaming of!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CynthiaF60959
, Owner at Alpenhorn Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2011
Thank you so much for the kind comments. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you return.