“Satisfied returning Guest”

Hillcrest Lodge
Burbank, California
“Satisfied returning Guest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

My girlfriend and I came back to the Hillcrest Lodge over the Thanksgiving Holiday just to spend a romantic evening sitting in front of a warm fireplace and drinking hot chocolate in a secluded cozy cabin.

It was our second time at the Lodge and again we were very satisfied with the accommodations.

The cabin had a full kitchen, breakfast nook, living room (with working fireplace), bedroom, and a wood and marble bathroom. All of which was very clean, quiet, and comfortable.

The staff was again friendly and accommodating.

The only complaint I have is that the wireless was spotty and weak. But we did come to the cabin to get away from it all, so not having wireless was OK.

I highly recommend the Hillcrest Lodge, and the next time we are in Big Bear we will again stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WearyPhotoTraveller
Rusty B, General Manager at Hillcrest Lodge, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
We had a problem with our WiFi system but have taken steps to upgrade. For those that don't want to completely "escape", now you should not have a problem staying connected. Things are in constant need of attention at a lodge. We try to stay on top of the little and big problems but your feed-back is invaluable. Thanks for giving us the heads-up.

For the next few weeks, the lodge will be VERY busy with Holiday visitors thanks to fresh snow and great weather. We hope to keep the place running smooth. If you have any other suggestions for us, we're hopeful you'll share them.

Our goal is perfection. Knowing that's a little tough to accomplish, we want to hear from every guest how we might get closer to that goal.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just returned from our weekend trip to Big Bear. Stayed at the Hillcrest Lodge and the place is great. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. I checked out a few of the rooms and all look great. Very cozy, the bed was very comfortable. I do have to say there is no hair dryer in the rooms, so bring your own. We sayed in one of the cabins for one night and the single the other. I would recomend both rooms. Very spacious. Located close to town. I would definitely choose to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank svlorijt44
Rusty B, General Manager at Hillcrest Lodge, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Just returned from a little vacation myself and was reminded how significant it can be to have a warm and friendly staff greet a guest. It is great to hear Hillcrest Lodge is meeting expectations and maybe a little more. We are about to add another cabin to the mix we offer our guests. The latest will be a separate 2-bedroom cabin next door to the lodge. It is set up to sleep 6 or 7 when you include the sofa-bed. Now the lodge will have anything from a small "hotel room" to 1-bedroom with kitchenette to a full on country cabin with a neat old rock fireplace.

Next time you're back, more decking and landscaping will be in place, as well. And as for the hair-dryer? We'll have to get a few to have in the front office from those that wise to borrow ours. Thanks for the suggestion.

See ya on the slopes!
Burbank, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

My girlfriend and I came to Big Bear for just a day trip, having a good time and forgetting that it was Labor Day weekend, we decided to spend the night - only to find that everything was either sold out or extremely expensive.

After quite a while looking for a place to sleep, another "sold out" hotel - The Black Forest Inn (very nice people there as well) - recommended we try the Hilllcrest Lodge - We did, and we got lucky. They just had a cancellation and the cabins were affordable.

Not only was the cabin affordable, it was great; fully useable kitchen (with plates, forks, pots, pans, etc), breakfast nook, living room (with fireplace), bedroom with comfortable bed and lots of heavy blankets to keep warm against the cool mountain air, a clean bathroom with lots of thick towels, and hot water (be careful – it’s HOT).

The cabins were charming, very clean, and the staff was friendly, courteous, and genuine.

We will stay here again :o)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WearyPhotoTraveller
Rusty B, General Manager at Hillcrest Lodge, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give use a great review. Which room were you in? The water heaters are new and may not be set right. A little adjustment might be in order. Any suggestions of what is needed to make your next visit all the better? - Rusty -
Big Bear Lake, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Nestled in pine trees and close to town, Hillcrest Lodge is an ideal get-away for a couple, or a family. The owners have lovingly decorated the rooms into themes that are beyond clever. The beds are not your normal "hotel" mattresses, but were purchased for your comfort. The maid service is top rate and if there's anything you need during your stay, they will make sure you get it. Because I would be there for two weeks, I chose one of the small suites; perfect! Each room s a small kitchen, fridge and stove, table and chairs, but if you want to eat out, you are close to the Village where there are multiple great restaurants. Also a great Mexican restaurant is next door to the lodge. I can’t think of a thing that I would have changed, and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Again, because I would be there for two weeks, I chose the small suite. The single rooms are great...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank abroad_abroad_12
Rusty B, General Manager at Hillcrest Lodge, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
We now have 11 of the 12 rooms ready to enjoy for a night, weekend or week. We appreciate your comment, "...can't think of a thing to chang..." but we're not done by any means. There were several suggestions you made we intend to incorporate into other units. Thank you for bringing these to our attention.

We are making several of the units "mobility challanged freindly" for those guests that can't get around as well as they use to. Easy entrances, wide doors and low step-in showers we hope will make the stay that much nicer.

Your pal, Boe, was a welcome guest at our lodge. We are pet owners ourselves and like to travel with our little dog, Sugar. Some units have been designated for pets while others will be restricted so it you have a pet allergy, you wouldn't have to worry. Please be sure to make your preference known when booking a room.

Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again, soon.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

I've been going to Big Bear for visits since I moved away after completing high school in 1967 - wow, that's 45 years already! Over the years, there have been a lot of different places one could stay at, some gone, some new, and some that want you to think you should have the same kind of experience the visitors had in the old days, the real old days, like back in 1892......the RUSTIC EXPERIENCE!

Hillcrest Lodge is rustic, but in a modern sense. It has that look of a quite, roadside motel that one would have stayed at while driving along Route 66 in the 50's or 60's heading across the country, but instead of plains and desert, you get free pine trees and fresh air, plus cool temperatures in summer and recreational snow in the winter just outside your door.

Being my first visit and stay at the lodge, I asked for a tour of the rooms before I checked in just to see what I was getting for my buck. What a pleasant surprise.

The new owners have gone to great lengths to make your visit as low key and hassle free as they can. That includes refurbished and remodeled rooms, modern/rustic furniture, comfortable beds, fireplaces, and one important ingredient that I like to think is important, great linens - fluffy towels, not the thin Motel 6 rags, but closer to an upper end hotel chain facility, plus soft sheets that don't pull off the mattress if you are an active sleeper. And clean! The owners take pride inside and out and it shows. I think you'll see what I'm talking about when you visit.

I didn't have an opportunity to use it, but there is a nice size BBQ grill and patio area that would be great for groups, or if you go up with other couples, a meeting place to chat, eat, and have a glass of wine.

Even though it's near the main highway, I found the room quiet, which is important for light sleepers like me. The entry off the highway was a bit tricky trying to cross over but there is a back entry/exit that connects to the highway just a few feet away which makes getting in or out a lot easier.

Close to the Village, shops, restaurants, recreation area both winter and summer, the location is perfect. Not too near the crowds, and when you are ready to leave the mountain, you get to avoid the traffic congestion trying to navigate through or around the Village as you are already on the highway that leads to the new bridge by the dam.

Enjoy, say hi to the cheerful manager Christy when you call or arrive, and she will do her best to make your stay as pleasant as possible. I know I will on my next stay.

HK

Room Tip: Check out their web page and view the rooms and grounds. The upstairs and back of the property migh...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank H K
Rusty B, General Manager at Hillcrest Lodge, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
WOW! Your review may be hard for us to live up to. But we will try to earn similar reviews from every visitor to our little place.

I'm a real estate broker and was trying to sell the lodge to others. Several people commented, "if it's such a great deal, why don't you buy it?" So my wife and I put together an LLC and three months after completing the purchase, we are still working to bring the last of the 12 rooms on-line.

One of the reasons we made the investment is the location is great. One of the problems is the property along the east side of the lodge has been neglected for decades. So, we have decided the LLC should buy it and fix it up, as well. The purchase will add a two bedroom cabin to the lodge and provide an opportunity for a restaurant to go in next door in a commercial building on the property. We'll see.

Thanks for your review and come back soon. Please.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our family of 3 (one off to college) had a pleasant stay. Its near the the village, also marinas, shopping. There is a kitchenette also!
The Brew Pub across the street closes for food early though?
Well there are beautiful pines, birds singing, and easy access to the road. Owners are very friendly, and helping, especially when it came to finding a missing screw for our car that fell out during our trip from Vegas to here. Will stay again !
Thanks for everything again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Richard J
Finding a loose screw, a missing button or providing a recommendation for a nice place to have lunch, we will do what we can to make your stay as pleasant as possible. It is a work in progress and we want to know what you've found still need attention. We hope you will return in a few months to see what other improvements we've made. Thanks for staying with us.
Silverado, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We decided to go at the last minute. Was given the name of this place by a friend that works with the owner. No we didn't get any special treatment or anything of the sort. They did help us with a room for 2 nights when they were pretty busy, and it turned out to be better than I thought. It was roomy, very clean and quiet. Close to activities. I know it's under new ownership and I think they are off to a good start. Very service oriented. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again and I would recomend it.
Very nice indeed. Had a great "feel" to it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul B
Rusty B, Manager at Hillcrest Lodge, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you. Appreciate the encouragement. We have much more to do before it measures up to what we would like to offer all our guest.