“Fun ride”

Alpine Slide at Magic Mountain
More attraction details
Owner description: Year round family recreation area. The Alpine Slide attraction is California's only authentic bobsled ride. Take a scenic chairlift ride to the top, then hop on a specially designed sled and control your own speed down a 1/4 mile long track. In the summer enjoy our refreshing double Water Slide and in the winter tube on our Snow Play hill with Magic Carpet uphill lift. We also offer Go-Karts and an 18 hole miniature golf course. Our newly renovated building has plenty of indoor seating and an expanded snack bar. An outdoor patio, Water Slide deck and many grass areas allow for plenty of relaxing. Parents pay only if you play!
Rancho Cucamonga, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Fun ride”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Very inexpensive and a fun ride. Even the ride up to the top on the ski lift was fun. Would definitely do again.

Visited August 2013

• Arabic first
Irvine, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Slide was fun for all ages!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went on the slide with my sister/brother-in-law and their 9 and 5 year old boys. We had a really good time. There may be longer rides out there but for $5 (or 5 rides for $20) it was worth it. I only went on it once but most of the others went on it 3 times so they were able to be more aggressive or comfortable with each subsequent ride down. I recommend the 5 rides for $20 if there are two of you. It brought you to the top in a chair lift so there was really very little you need to do on a hot day.

The first time you go down they prefer you go in the slow lane which takes a long time because some people go really slow which may cause you to go slower than you may want to. So you should really plan to ride down 2-3 times so you can get the hang of controlling your speed, turns, etc. If you want to go faster you can get in the fast lane the next time around.

The 5 yr old was too short so he went down with an adult but the 9 year old went down alone. However both of them needed to ride up the chair lift with an adult.

We were there in July and it was pretty hot but the snack shop is pretty cool and I was able to get a single scoop of mango sorbet for only $2. There is a lot more to do ... water slides, putt-putt course, go carts and video games... but we stuck with the alpine slide and we were really pleased.

2 Thank emandw
Glendale, California
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 308 helpful votes
“Fun for Adults Too!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My boyfriend really wanted to stop to do the Alpine Slide on our way back to Los Angeles, so we stopped. We are both adults and did not have kids with us, but it didn't matter. There were plenty of childless-adults going on the slide!

We bought the five-tickets for twenty package, which really is a good deal. It includes a ride up the chair lift to the top of the mountain, which makes the entire experience about fifteen minutes a ticket.

It's a long track and a fun ride. You control your speed with a hand brake and they have a track set aside for slower/new riders. I saw a small child riding on his mom's lap.

Tip- Be careful about putting your tickets in your pocked. We used two and lost the rest when they fell out on the chair lift. My boyfriend bought an extra single ticket to ride again and I recorded the last bit.

Overall, a lot of fun and worth the stop.

Please visit my blog to see the video and lots of pictures of the Alpine Slide, plus an extensive trip report from our Big Bear vacation!

1 Thank Karen H
Los Angeles, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Unique in a number of ways”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I initially thought $5 was a bit much for going up on a chair lift and tobogganing down a bobsled track. Then I checked other summer bobsled rides, offered at former Olympic sites. Sure they are much longer and you can go much faster, but they cost like $75 and someone else is driving. It may be the coolest thing here at the Alpine Slide in Big Bear - that you get to drive yourself. You control the speed, turns and all. I saw other reviewers mentioning it being dangerous when wet, but when we were there the track was completely dry and you couldn't go too fast even if you wanted to.

The double water slide is also a lot of fun. It maybe the only high water slide in Southern California little kids are allowed to go on - the minimum height is something like 32 inches. At least I haven't been able to find another one like that for my 5 year old who is now hooked.

They have some food and also ice cream. I haven't tasted any of it, but I glanced at the prices and they seemed very reasonable. But here is what I thought was the best part - foodwise. They have a cotton candy machine. You get to watch your cotton candy being made and it is not dyed!!! I was finally able to let my son eat cotton candy!

The only reason I am not giving this experience 5 stars is because the life jacket they gave my son smelled really bad.

1 Thank Wanitall
Anaheim, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome slides”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Super fun! My 5 and 7 year old loved the alpine slide and go karts. It can be dangerous, so make sure kids don't go too fast on the alpine slide(brakes work well). My husband and I raced each other on the go karts with the kids...so fun! I highly recommend this place and staff was really nice.