“Do Not Book This Lodge! Run Away!”
Review of Big Bear Lodge

Big Bear Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Bear Region
Big Bear Lodge
Golden State
“Do Not Book This Lodge! Run Away!”
Reviewed February 9, 2010

First, the owner/manager lacks integrity. Slimy, slippery methods. He attempts to drum up additional charges indicating you left things in disarray, dirty or stained. Disgusting business - stay away!

Secondarily, the place was absolutely FILTHY, big hugh fat slug on the floor in the middle of the bathroom!! YES, I said SLUG! Carpeting had not been vacumed, had hair, threads and crumbs. Dishes, pots and pans were dirty, warped, burned and crusty as were the utensils. No toaster. Key did not work well in the door or key box designated when leaving. I LEFT THINGS CLEANER THAN I FOUND THEM during my 2 night stay.

Had he not left the location and I not already prepaid I would have stayed in another location!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
6 Thank seamac07

Business
Orange County
Reviewed January 16, 2010

Having just been granted time off to see my family for the first time in many months, my girlfriend and I decided to take a trip to Bear Mountain before my unit deploys to the Helmand province in Afghanistan this February. After having seen the vacancy sign on their premises, we pulled into the parking lot to find a room for our five-night stay. Since my girlfriend was feeling ill due to the curvy roads we decided to get some fresh air before entering the office. Not 30 seconds after having exited the vehicle, however, a man stalked out of the office and bombarded us with accusations of "trespassing on private property". After having heard this, we tried to explain our situation but instead were accused of trying to vomit on his property--while in reality we had simply been trying to be polite and not vomit inside the main office. As a potential customer, I was shocked that a person who was employed for his customer service skills not only failed to help a potential customer, but had the audacity to accuse her of vomiting with malicious intent. Shocked and insulted at this amount of disrespect, we headed towards our vehicle, only to be followed and further interrogated about our motives.

In a nutshell, a grumpy old man told us "get the &*#$ off my lawn!". Stay far, far away.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank abhoredconundrum

Travelers are raving about these Big Bear Region hotels

San Diego
Reviewed April 27, 2009

What started out as a great weekend with friends turned bad! After a very lengthy reservation process and faxes back and forth we were set. The person we spoke to on the phone (Robert) was very slow and steady and after we gave our credit card to hold the reservation were told that if we paid cash we could get a discount because their fees would be lower. That made sense so we agreed. We arrived to an empty office, but had a phone message that indicated where the key was to be found. The cabin was advertised for four... that was only because there were two double beds crammed into this dinky cabin. The beds were in poor condition (flat, saggy and short), hair was found in the sheets. The heater smelled and was very hard to control. The whole cabin seemed to be in pretty poor condition. But we were there only to sleep as we were spending the days skiing. The morning after we arrived, the manager knocked on our door to settle the bill (as he was not there when we arrived). We paid cash for the three night stay, were informed that the trash was to be taken out, dishes cleaned and the room left in the condition we found it (which we did). He took our money, gave us a receipt and left. Now it gets weird... after hanging onto the receipt for a month we tossed it, two weeks later a charge shows up on our credit card from Big Bear Lodge. We emailed Robert to no avail, not even a reply saying we'll look into it. Finally out of frustration we contacted the credit card company. Visa contacted the owner and a three way conference call ensued. Robert denied offering a cash deal, indicated that he ran all credit cards again because his credit card machine "malfunctioned". It was also indicated on the credit record that the card had been "swiped" at a machine in their office, which we never went into. The credit card company was trying to be helpful, but as we had thrown out the receipt there was nothing they could do, and Robert suggested that the person that collected our cash was not authorized to do so, even though he had our invoice on Big Bear Lodge stationary.

Had this double billing not occurred we would still give 0 stars out of 5 for this establishment. Absolutely the worst customer service and the worst physical guest accommodations I have ever been in, Motel 6 would have been a huge upgrade!

Stay away from this establishment!!!! I wish I could picket outside their front office!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank scammed_guest
Alpine
Reviewed September 27, 2006

My husband and I booked a last minute cabin at the Big Bear Lodge for the Big Bear Fun Run (Hot Rod show) this summer.
It was hard to find a place that had a room available, so I was happy to find a little cabin. What a disappointment! The owner faxes and has you sign a 3 page disclaimer when you book the room. When we got there, the key was not cut right, so it took over a minute each time to get into the room. The bed was droopy in the center and the WORST was how the water pooled up to your ankles when you showered in the dinky shower stall.
Traffic noise almost through the night, being on Big Bear Blvd (the main hwy in and out). The helper first credited our visa, then when the manager reversed the transaction after getting our first receipt, he would not give us a receipt for the charges! We had NO RECEIPT of the transaction! He told my husband the fax (he sent us to sign) would be "good enough"! I'm contacting VISA regarding a merchant refusing to give us an actual receipt.
Now I know why there were rooms available! (We usually stay at the Northwoods Resort - really nice! but books up fast!).

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Owner/Manager would not give us credit card receipt, lack of cleanliness.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay at the Big Bear Lodge
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank WannaGoWannaSee