“Wonderful Dinner”

Ranked #34 of 127 Restaurants in Big Bear Region
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Historic Big Bear is alive at the Captain's Anchorage----complete with a ghost named George.The restaurant has been a tradition in Big Bear since 1946. Originally called the Sportsman's Tavern, the Captain's Anchorage has enjoyed visits by Hollywood celebrities, weathered fires, and has hosted gambling and the ghost of a former employee.Today, the rustic stone and log building invites guests to enjoy a good meal in a comfortable atmosphere. Enjoy cocktails and appetizers in the Andy Devine bar, or stay for dinner in the dining room. Every meal comes with the soup and salad bar, even the under $20.00 dinners.Visit the website for the menu and for more stories about the history of Big Bear and the Captain's Anchorage Restaurant.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We tried this restaurant again. Last time we ordered off the under $20.00 menu and it was not great. Since we heard great comments about this restaurant we went for my husbands birthday. This time we ordered off the regular menu. He had the Alaskan King Crab Legs at $38.95 and I had the 12 oz prime rib at $29.95, both pricey, but absolutely wonderful. We had so much crab and prime rib that we took it home and had dinner the next night. The prime rib was one of the best I have had and my husband found the crab legs succulent!! As before the service was excellent. We went in jeans and fit in perfectly.

2  Thank Tamitha

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We ordered off the Under $20.00 menu. My husband had the Mahi Mahi and found it overcooked and dry. I had the scallops which were quite bland. The salad bar was excellent. The service was outstanding. The only reason I am giving this restaurant as high of a rating is the service was great and I've talked to other that love the place, so I figure it was a poor night for the under $20.00 menu. The regular menu is expensive, however the atmosphere is very nice. We do plan to visit here again, but will not order from the under $20.00 menu again.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This last weekend we stopped in at captains Anchorage for another great meal. I had the prime rib and my wife had the shrimp tempura and both were excellent. This place has great food very good service very nice ambience. It's a little older on the inside but it's very traditional classic dinner house with an older waitstaff. My prime rib was cooked exactly to order and was excellent. My wife's shrimp tempura was very tasty. In our experience captaining captains Anchorage is one of the best places to eat in the Bigbear area And is one of our favorites.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Had the filet and lobster tail, friend got the prime rib. Was tops! The lobster tail was over 8 oz and cooked to perfection. If you want good steak or prime, this is the place to go!
Loved the bartender!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Average food, bread isn't worth eating. Salad/soup bar not too bad. Under $20 menu a good value. Service is usually good.