“Big Bears best kept secret.”
Review of Black Forest Lodge

Black Forest Lodge
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I stumbled upon this place by chance last week. And I was actually pleasantly surprised. This place is perfect for the winter, the rooms are so cozy. We lit up the fireplace and made smores.My kids loved it, and I didn't have to spend much; which is a miracle unto itself.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Derek G
There are newer reviews for Black Forest Lodge

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Perfect atmosphere, quiet, amazing staff. The hot tub was clean, and loved the views from the balcony. Was surprised someone was there to check me in at 2am! No one else was.

Room Tip: Pick the hot tub, worth it ;)
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sean A
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We will be back in the winter and next summer and we will stay here again (if they have any openings). Loved the cabin we stayed in "Kozy". Nice big bed, spa in the room, and the front desk people were always so friendly and helpful. I had read some of the other reviews (about spiders and bugs) BUT BELIEVE ME THERE WERE NONE the whole three days we were there. Keep in mind there are beautiful trees all around you...which make the setting so much more prettier and woodsy feeling.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Doug-Vickie
Reviewed September 17, 2011

this was a blessing. We shall never forget it. Just to be clear, this was a fall back place, and saved our vacation. Thank God for the place! We are actually coming back.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank happy-camper851
Reviewed August 26, 2011

we were bumped from our planned hotel and thought this place looked fabulous. we got an upstairs room that faced the street. Walking up the stairs to the room there was trash in the bushes. t was a hot week in big bear and this place was just as hot due to no ac. no problem - we thought - we will keep the balcony doors open - wrong! it was so noisy that we could not get to sleep till almost midnight. at about two am a couple drunks decided to fight it out on the sidewalk below our room!... we finally got to sleek and were awakened at 6am by a guy with a leave blower. we tried the pool, but it was not heated and it was FREEZING. the room was dirty and both couches had broken legs. the carpet was old and worn and the only unbroken chair had a cigaret burn on the seat. I can see this place must have been nice in the past,but what a dump. if there are Germans that own this place you should be ashamed!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mike w
Reviewed August 14, 2011

What a horrible experience… this place may have some good prices, but that is all it really has going for it… let’s start with the lobby, not only did it take 20 minutes to be assisted while I was stuck waiting you have the wonderful smell of cat pee and old nasty puke that fills the room…After my wait, I finally received some assistant to help me … that was not too pleased to do so… very rude and crabby… (I don’t care if you are having a bad day or not, you do not take it out on a customer giving you some business) once I had my room paid and key in hand I got terrible directions to find my room and was stuck walking around looking for the correct room… I walk in to my room excited to get settled in to get ready for a dip in the pool…. Oh boy my hopes dropped down immediately, to start when entering that room, it was very cramped. It was hard for two people to walk around and get settled in, the walls and everything in the room was disgustingly dirty like it was never cleaned up. Are you enjoying your stay yet? Cause I wasn’t. I came back to rinse off from the pool and the shower doors were broken. They would not close well…. Looking around while in the shower I noticed bugs were everywhere … its summer small amount is no big deal but I soon realized later there are more bugs in this room than there were outside …. I showed up with not one bug bite on me. When I left I had about 20 and a horrible rash on my neck… the service desk was the cherry on the cake to a horrible stay. I even the blankets and pillows were dirty with an odd smell. It’s late at night, sometime after midnight I’m exhausted and just would like to go to sleep but can’t because of the people below are blasting their music and partying being very disrespectful to others at this hotel. Calling to have the problem fixed is worthless nothing gets taken care of… I had to just deal with it….

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2011

This place sucks. They have strangely unexpecting pictures, badly themed, itchy blankets, hard matresses, little bathroom,
Dinosaur aged tv (aka, really small), random sketchy noises, NO SLEEP, 5 foot pool, hollow balconies,and BUGS! No maids(you are the only one with the key). If the owner desides to changes all of these things, I would likely give them 5 stars. But it sucks!

• Stayed: July 2011