“Used to be a favorite.....”

Stillwells Restaurant
Ranked #70 of 122 Restaurants in Big Bear Region
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Big Bear City, California
“Used to be a favorite.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

1st let me first say that if you are in a mountain resort, don't be in a hurry. Relax and Enjoy....
Stillwell's has been a family favorite for over 10 years. Always comfortable, always good food, always been worthwhile. Made reservations for "Surf and Turf" Valentines Evening with my wife. We were seated immediately during 7:00 dinner hour. Waitress was very pleasant, ambiance nice. Menu read "Surf and Turf" but detailed "Surf or Turf" selections. Not a big issue, because I did not look to see if there was anything special for the night. My wife and I both ordered the Prime Rib dinners. We asked for wine list. 4 of 5 wine offerings were lined out. Left for little selection. We ordered wine then ate the warm rolls, salad and enjoyed the glasses of champagne brought to us. Very pleasant. Dinner arrived a little slow, but not any kind of issue. We live here...., mountain time. That's why we live here..... Relax and Enjoy.
Dinner was cold. Not warm like it was kept under a heat lamp. Cold like it was 'warmed' under a heat lamp. The plates were warmer than the food. Waitress sent it back, apologizing all the way. Dinner was returned 2 minutes later. (I could almost swear I heard the microwave bell go off in the kitchen.) Meal was warmer (no longer medium rare) but we were definately disappointed. If I didn't have a beautiful wife and a nice server the evening would have been a bust.
We won't be back until I hear of new management/ chef/ cooking staff. I am sorry to leave a bad review, but changes are needed.

• Visited February 2013

Los Angeles, California
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Visited with a group of friends (about 15 people). Average food, large portions. Service needs to be improved.

• Visited January 2013
San Diego, CA
“Bland food, good service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Could not find a restaurant in town without a line, stopped here for dinner. Restaurant sparsly occupied, it's attached to a resort.
Service was good, quick, efficient and handled all the requests with a smile.
Ordered their version of spinach and artichoke dip as appetizer. Dip was BLAND with bread crumbs on top that were seasoned with??. not good, tasteless and only ate half.
I ordered a bowl of the beef vegatable soup and a side of sourdough bread to go with it as I was not very hungry. My boyfriend ordered the fish and chips.
Order came out promptly after the appetizer was removed. Soup was lukewarm with cold areas. I told the waitperson to please take it back and get me some HOT soup.
She walked back into the kitchen and I heard her YELL to the cook, HEY CAN YOU MAKE THIS HOT??. We were seated near the service door. probably not ok to have your customer hear you do this...
My boyfriend's fish and chips were hot, fish breaded in a bland coating, no seasoning, fries looked like the frozen kind, not crisp, not flavorful.
My soup came back out HOT this time and I asked her about the side of bread. She pointed to the bread basket and said, "the middle roll is sourdough'.
Please don't eat here. Perhaps when the area picks up the food gets better.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank champagnelady59
Kansas City, Missouri
“Lacked service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Was in Big Bear for a family get together staying at Northwoods Resort. We decided to eat at the Stillwell Restaurant (they knew in advance it was a large group coming in) for most of the meals for convenience. The first night service was great food was good and no issues with getting the proper check to the proper person. Next morning was another story service was slow due to only having one person to wait on our large group as well as other guest that had decided to eat there. Meals again were pretty good but getting the checks straight was a battle sending them back several times and could never get them straight (later found out the server we had from previous night was working a double shift) All other meals we ate there were all the same. Knowing in advance they could have at least had extra staff on hand to help out. Oh and if you are ordering any drinks be sure they aren't mixed drinks can't seem to handle making them.

Visited August 2012
Big Bear Lake, California
“Can be a 4 or 5”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

There are times I could have rated this restaurant a four or five -- they are not consistent - in a small town like this that can be a problem -- the restaurants that stay consistent with quality and service are the BEST!