“Good Italian if you can handle the format...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Maggio's Pizza
Ranked #16 of 119 Restaurants in Big Bear Region
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Manotick
“Good Italian if you can handle the format...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Don't go here if you object to ordering and pre-paying for your meal, then seating yourself and setting your own table. After being given any drinks you order (we had a half liter of the house red), you're handed a beeper that notifies when your meal is ready and you find a table. You collect your order from the counter when the beeper goes and dig in.

The place features casual Italian eats including pizza, calzones, and subs. We had a medium garden salad which was uninspired but fresh, followed by subs. The DH had the meatball sub which he pronounced excellent, full of gooey melted mozzarella and flavourful marinara sauce. The meatballs were great (there were about 4 half meatballs on the sub). I had the eggplant parm sub which featured the same cheese and sauce, and tasty slices of breaded eggplant. Very good.

Pizzas looked good, from what we could see.

Great value if you can handle the casual setting.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank girlfromthetick

Kapolei
“Worth the wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

This place was a bit confusing. It's a long wait. First you put your name on the list then you can order and pay for your food so that when you sit down it's faster. When she asked if wanted drinks my husband asked if we could get them later since our table was not ready. The lady said sure but you have to come back up and pay. So we ordered them then assuming we would get them when our table was ready. Nope, she gave it to us on the spot so we sat there waiting for, holding our drinks watching them get warm. Okay with all that said, the pizza was amazing, probably the best crust I've ever had. And I'm the person that always leaves the crust behind. I always joke that my husband married me for my crust. Worth the wait and confusion.

• Visited August 2013
San Diego, California
“Great meatball sub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Ordered take-out here after a long day out in Big Bear. We just wanted so authentic, warm food because we were tired. The meatball sub was just what I needed. The kids had pizza. Hubby went to pick up the food and he said the place was jumping when he went in, he wish he could stay. Next time, we will.

• Visited September 2013
Big Bear Lake CA
“Maggio's - The pictures tell it all!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Felt like having some Italian food the other day while in Big Bear Lake, so my wife and myself went to Maggio's Italian Pizza in the Vons shopping center in Big Bear. It is a self service place, no waiters or waitresses. I forgot that we came and ate here about 5 years ago, and I realized why we haven't been back since! I ordered something they couldn't screw up I thought, a meatball sandwich and garlic fries. The garlic fries consisted of greasy fries with a layer of chopper raw garlic on top (see photo), and as for the meatball sandwich (a full meatball sandwich), it has a total of two meatballs that are cut in half and served on partially burnt bread (see photo). I'll try to forget this place for another 4 or 5 years, and hopefully remember why I do not eat here! Will Not Be Back!

• Visited August 2013
socal
“Great Italian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Recommended by resort staff. Went for dinner on Saturday night and was crowded. Order at the counter and they bring the food to your table. Wife and I were very pleased with the food. Friends came by to visit during the week and went back for lunch. We were all pleased with the food. Will be back when visiting Big Bear.

• Visited June 2013