“Average is what it is”
Review of Cozy Hollow Lodge

Cozy Hollow Lodge
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I am not at all trying to say this place is bad but the title to this review only means that there might be better places. We stayed for a night in cabin 10 which is probably a good option considering it is a little off the road than the other cabins.

What I liked - Proximity to the village, snow summit and ofcourse the lake. My husband gave a plus because of the jacuzzi :)

What can be better - The cleanliness factor; the rugs were stained and that tends to put one off. I had mentioned during my reservation that we wanted an early check-in but that was ruled out completely by the lady at the reception. The bare minimum they can do is tell that the Special Request column on the reservation form does not apply to check-in times.

All in all, stay here if you do not get better options on the lake. This place is on the inroad and can be a tad noisy depending on what cabin you select.

Room Tip: Check-in starts at 1pm. If you come to Big Bear before that, go have a nice lunch, take a stroll at...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Hubby and I stayed in Cabin 10 for 3 nights over Labor Day with our 10 month old daughter. The property is in a very convenient location, just about smack in the middle of the lake - close to the Village and restaurants. The cabin was easy to access from parking, clean and very comfortable. It is a busy road, but I cant say I ever hear the noise from the road during the day or at night.

The manager checking us in was friendly and polite. We had one small issue, the heater wasn't turned on so we were cold the first night - but when I asked them about it the next day they lit the pilot and we had no other issues. So, all in all it was a good stay. I might consider staying there again for a short trip. The cabin is small though, so if we go back to Big Bear, we might look for something with some more living area, couches, tables, etc. We went for the jacuzzi cabin, but never ended up using it. This was minor, but my husband was also put off by them telling us we needed to wash any dishes we used or we'd be charged a cleaning fee. He felt like for what we paid, it wouldn't kill them to wash a couple dishes (not that we used them anyway, LOL.) They do have a lot of little notices posted around, but they are small and I wasn't the least bit impacted by them.

On a side note, the outdoor jacuzzi wasn't operable. I asked about this before booking, so it doesn't really impact my review - although it would have been nice to have as an option.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank missmeghan
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My mom, sister and I who get together every couple months shared both cabin 7 and 8 this past weekend for our gal's weekend out. Not only is it truly cute and cozy, the folks that run it have hearts of gold. As is par for the course when I travel out of state I left my phone charger in the room only to have them expeditously send it back to me so I didn't have to buy a new one AND I didn't even know I'd left earrings in room 7 when we moved to 8 and they found them too! There is a cute little coffee house very easy (approx. .2 mile) walking to stroll to first thing in the morn and a steakhouse literally across the street. Cabins are great for families with young kids especially and there is a cute play area for the kids too . Cabin 8 is a true one bedroom with a separating door if that's important to you ; Cabin 7 is a one bedroom but no door separation thus probably great for the parents and young kids that may need to be kept an eye on. Everything in town is very close driving distance and you have to eat at the Grizzly Bear Cafe for breakfast...

Room Tip: Cabin 8 is the best!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank OrlandoTravelerTexas
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We come to the Cozy Hollow Lodge each year during August for the Fun Run car show. We always stay an extra day just to enjoy the lodge and the beautiful mountains. We feel like Rich and Peggy are friends. Our group generally rents at least five rooms each August. The rooms are clean, comfortable and really nice.
Wish we would make the time to come more than once each year.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Judy L
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed here on a weekend in cabin #8 and loved it. The cabin was a one bedroom, and very clean. All of the fixtures and carpeting looked like it had been recently updated. Plush, emerald green carpeting throughout. The bathroom looked freshly painted and the toilet was modern. The doors and windows were secure (the door had 2 deadbolts). The kitchen had a stainless steel sink and two stove burners with microwave, dishes, cutlery, toaster, coffee maker and mini fridge. We parked right in front of our cabin which was very convenient for carrying our stuff in. I instantly felt comfortable and cozy when we walked in, which is always a huge relief when you book a cabin somewhere for the first time.

The complex is located in a good spot, right on hwy 18 entering BB Village, across from the steak restaurant and within walking distance of the village and marina, but far enough away to be private and non-busy. We parked at the cabins and walked everywhere.

Our cabin was quiet, we weren't sure it would be since it was not far from the road but it was. We did not hear very much outside noise when we shut the door, only the occasional whoosh of a car once in awhile at night. The bed was comfortable and there was a tv in our bedroom so we enjoyed watching movies at night. Our cabin had a porch with two chairs and a mini table outside so we took our books and sat outside to read for the afternoon.

We cooked our dinner at the BBQs they have near the playground. We did not cook on the grills themselves, however. We brought a disposable mini grill and placed it on TOP of the grills, to keep things sanitary. I highly recommend this for anyone wanting to BBQ there. You can buy one for $4 at the supermarket.

The only thing we didn't like was that even though the cabins themselves are non smoking, they allow people to smoke on their porches. That means that if you are a non-smoker, and you sit outside with your door open to let the breeze in, someone in the cabin next to you could be smoking on their porch and the smell will waft into your cabin. This happened to us on Sunday morning and instead of having the door open, we were forced to close the door so smoke wouldn't seep in.

I'm not really sure what the management can do about that, since I know many guests in Big Bear like to smoke...but personally I think if the cabin is non smoking then the porch should be, too, and perhaps there could be a smoking "area" reserved a little ways away from where other people are staying...or, non porch smoking cabins vs...smoking porch cabins? Just a thought.

The woman at the front desk was very nice and helpful. The towels and housekeeping were excellent. We paid $99/night to stay here and were very happy overall, we look forward to staying here again and I highly recommend it for couples.

Room Tip: we recommend cabin #8.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank malajemm
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My wife and I went on an impromtu spur of the moment ride and ended up in Big Bear. It had been at least seven years since our last trip to Big Bear, and we had stayed at another cozy spot that unfortunately was closed for the season. We ventured a block or so down the road and stumbled upon this little place. Just a bunch of quaint little cabins that all include a nice sized fire place. The cabins themselves are clean and comfortable. Fire wood is available at the front office along with fire starting materials. Its walking distance from everything, the location is very conveniently located next to Big Bear Village and Big Bear Lake. Not to mention there is an absolutely cozy little restaurant/brewery located just a five minute walk up the road. They have great micro brews that they brew right there on the premises as well as great burgers and sandwiches. I highly recommend this place, very romantic.

Room Tip: They have spa rooms available as well for a little bit more $$$. All rooms have a fireplace though.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Spaulo t
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I loved this place. My hubby and I decided to make a quick weekend get a way to big bear and he found this little gem!! We had a studio stand alone cabin with a fireplace and a kitchenette. They even provided cookware and dishes full size coffee pot, toaster, stove, oven and an apt size fridge! I felt like I was staying in my own little vacation cabin! The staff was helpful, the grounds quaint, and the location was perfect! My favorite part was sitting in front of the fireplace at night after we hiked that day! We toasted marshmallows and made smores. I can't wait to go back and will be booking this place again!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple