“GOOD LOCATION GREAT STAFF” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sleepy Forest Cottages

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sleepy Forest Cottages
South Pasadena, California
“GOOD LOCATION GREAT STAFF”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at one of the vacation rentals, unit #197, recently for 3 nights. It is a one bedroom plus a sofa sleeper in the living room. There is a second level that is off limits (weird). The sofa sleeper was EXTREMELY uncomfortable, so uncomfortable that our child could even sleep on it. Fortunately we had a air mattress with us from a previous trip.

PROS: Nice staff, clean unit, internet TV with Hulu and Netflix, excellent location, bedroom bed was comfortable.

CONS: Horrible mattress on sofa bed, kitchen lacked necessary supplies such as: cooking oil, paper towels & kitchen towels, trash bags for trash can.

Room Tip: Bring your own mattress.
Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank OlgaEagle
sleepyforestcottages, Manager at Sleepy Forest Cottages, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Hello, thanks for the review. You stayed in one of our private cabins, Cedar Pines. It is a very nice, cozy and likeable cabin, but we have had a major issue with the bed since you stayed. First, the upstairs is off limits because the city does not allow us to use 2nd stories for guests in certain size cabins. The home-owners and us both really wish it was accessible, and have temporarily opened it up until the sleeper couch is replaced with a brand new futon. On that note, the couch-sleeper-sofa was fine until we found that it had been damaged. The middle and bottom were torn and springs moved a little, making it uncomfortable to sleep on. Sometimes this happens and we are unable to track who caused it. We wish we found these issues before you stayed, and even more wish you would have called us ASAP about the bed, and the concerns you had with needed amenities. We do not provide grocery items such as cooking oil, but there should have been paper towels, dish towels, and trash bags in there, we always stock those. again, we are on call 24/7 and urge every guest at check in to call us ANYTIME with concerns or issues so we can take care of them immediately. We hope you can return! Thanks, Josh P., Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We wanted a real cabin feel and loved the idea of this freestanding cabin. We only stayed one night in big bear and knew we would have to pay more for a holiday weekend. We spent $220 for room 217, the queen jacuzzi.

Things to note: there are no double showerheads in this room, just a normal (slightly larger) shower.

There is a little kitchen fridge, microwave and breakfast table.

The TV has been updated (but we didn't use it).

The fireplace is gas, and nice. Room stayed warm with the heater.

Decor is a little old school with little drawings hanging but it was part of the charm for us.

We enjoyed the stay. I had seen that some people had trouble with the bed and the owners were able to give them some padding/accomodate them but we didn't get in until very late and had not really tried the bed before so it was a hard night's sleep. There is a number that says they are available 24/7 though.

Room Tip: room 217 is queen with jaccuzzi, but no double showerheads
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello, thanks for this review, we are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay! Our holiday rates skyrocket compared to our regular discounted rates, as we get super busy during the holidays. The fact that you got 1 night is great! We usually have 3 or more night-minimums. This cabin, as advertised, does not have double shower heads and has the standard wet-bar with microwave, coffee maker, and mini-fridge. Some Jacuzzi cottages have full kitchens with larger fridges, as well as Family Cabins. Most jacuzzi cottages also have the double, triple, or 5 shower heads, but not all. We are glad to know about the bed as we recently updated this bed for similar reasons, but of course, even though you got in late, we would have liked to know right away or the next morning if you had an issue. Hope to see you again! thanks, Josh P., Manager.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I read the reviews, checked out the website and I thought well this place should be safe.
Well I could not believe how great the Cathy's cottages were.
We booked mid week online, got a great deal and drove up to big bear for a few days.
First impressions, I knew I'd made the right choice. The staff at the office were great, very friendly and accommodating.
We rented a one bedroom place for just my husband and I. The cottages were excellent very easy to find with parking right outside and just a short 5-10 min drive from snow summit / big bear.
The place is heated extremely well. Great gas fireplace, nice clean bathrooms and a great little kitchenette with all the basics for short term stay.
Even though the cottages are close to the main road they were still very quiet at night and I never heard any of the neighbouring unit's.
If you looking for an affordable nice place to stay that's not a motel, I definetly recomend Cathy's cottage's, we will definetly be back!!

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Jododd79
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We had to get a place last minute and these guys gave us a good deal and they had high ratings. Located in a good spot especially with kids cuz there is a McDonalds up the street from them on one side and the other corner is a 7-11 so super convenient. They had apple strudels, coffee and tea in a.m. in the office and it was very good. Computer up front with printer for use and FREE wireless which is an awesome bonus. I left my earrings there and they said they would mail it to me but I have to pay for the shipping. I thought that was weird but hey, it's OK. They were nice enough to not steal it I guess!
I would definitely go back to this place :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi, thanks for the nice review! Paying for shipping for your left items is very necessary and out of our hands. UPS must charge to ship, and they do us a service for our guests making it easy so that you do not have to do anything but call. We are sorry that seemed to be weird, but glad you had a good time :) Hope to see you again! Josh P., Manager.
Ridgecrest, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife, 2-year-old daughter, and I decided to visit Big Bear on our way back from the LA area to our home in the High Desert.

Since my wife and daughter both have food allergies and eating out is difficult we wanted to stay somewhere with a kitchen to fix our own meals. We booked about a week before our visit. While checking in we asked if cabin 18, the family cottage adjacent to the office, was available instead of the cabin we had reserved. We were told it was, and although it was supposed to be $10 more a night, we were moved for free since it would have been empty anyway.

The cabin was very clean and adequately decorated and furnished with a flat screen TV and very nice oak furniture and a leather sectional. The Wi-Fi worked great and the kitchen had all the utensils and cookware we would have needed (though we did bring our own just in case). We were able to take some great family photos in front of the fireplace and the jacuzzi was great after a stressful day of doctor appointments at Loma Linda. Our only regret was that we could only stay for one night since we had to get home to our animals. We will definitely have to stay again and reserve “The Red House” so we can bring our dogs along.

Room Tip: Cottage 18 is adjacent to the Office, although the bedroom with the queen bed is above the office th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Irvine, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I've been looking for a nice cabin to stay for the new year and when i called this place and spoke to one of the guys for reservation he told me there were couple cabins with 2 rooms available and when i told him that i hope this works and based on my last experience at one of the cabins in big bear and was hoping i could have a better one this year, he transfer me to the manager before i was done talking. The owner came on line so rudley and responded to me why r u staing here if you had bad experience, firs tof all i never told him it was his cabins we stayed at, it was cabins close to his area second of all if i did decided to stayed again at his cabins he should of reply to me as a return guest and aplogize and thank me for giving them a second chance. He rudley told me he can't remembered me and when i told him hes not lettting me talk and being rude he told me off and said i will not rent any cabins to you.

I was shock with his answer and service to me over the phone. I was not expecting this kind of service from any owner of these cabins. I'm still in shock and just decieded to write this comment since i have never done this ever.
I hope you guys have better experince with this mananger if you like to see it just call and say you think this is the place youstayed at and had a bad expeince and you will see is nice personality pop up.
Hope you guys experience a much better service then i did, at least on the phone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mooshi M
sleepyforestcottages, Manager at Sleepy Forest Cottages, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
(Copied from same review on Yelp) I talked to you today and I apologize for sounding rude. However, you did actually tell the reservationist that it was our place you had the bad experience at, with several strong complaints, and I asked you to help me look it up. It turned out later that it was not our extablishment after all. If you had experienced all the things you were describing, we were, first, surprised, and second, wondering why we had not already made it right with you. Since you said it was us, but then found that it was not, it left me very confused. I realize you may have had no bad intentions toward us. We really want every guest to have a great time, and work hard to make sure that always happens. I appreciate your feedback. Bob P, owner.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed in cottage 15 at Sleepy Forrest Cottages in late Sept 2012 on the first night of our 3000 mile, >4 week trek around California. It was the least expensive accommodation of our entire trip (booked directly with property for a mid-week, off-season stay) and for the price it was better than I expected. The office staff were pleasant and professional. In the office was good coffee (with a variety of flavored creamers), ok cookies in the afternoon, and tasteless store-bought pasties (those sold in the plastic tubs in the supermarket) in the morning. If you want real 1/2 and 1/2 instead of the powdered stuff for your in-room coffee, pick up a couple of at the office.

The cottage was tight, rather than spacious; but not claustrophobic. It was decorated in a slightly cutesy style, but not over-done. The king size bed was firm and had 6 Pillows! The cottage has a small "wet bar" with a frig, microware, coffee maker (w/coffee) and plates, bowls, glasses, cups and flatware. There's a small table and 2 chairs. The cottage also has a gas fireplace, and a large flat-screen TV. The bathroom has a tiny but perfectly functional pedestal sink, with a small (approx 4'x12") shelf, a toilet and double-headed shower the size of a standard tub-shower enclosure with no tub. Two people can fit in the shower or one can get both sides sprayed at once.

Except for a spot on the carpet, everything in the cottage, including the dishes, was clean. The weather was perfect during our stay, which was a good thing since there was a fan placed in the window above the wet bar which prevented closure of the window. The cottage did not appear to have AC. The complex is located on a side street off the highway, but I did not realize when I selected it that the back of cottage that 215 is nearest the highway. We were not troubled by highway noise, however at 7am a chainsaw rang out and awoke us. Even though the chainsaw was off the property and who knows how far away, it sounded like it was just outside our door.

Access to the lake less than 1/2 mile away.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
sleepyforestcottages, Manager at Sleepy Forest Cottages, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Hello and thanks for the review! We would like to address some of the cons posted here. First, we do provide a cozy lobby with coffee, pastries and cookies. This is complimentary and free of charge, which means we do not make any money but it is a complimentary gift to our guests. The pastries are bought in bulk and we only put them out fresh. Most guests enjoy them. Also, as always we want to remind our guests that we are on-call 24/7 and happy to offer upgrades or take care of any issues to make sure all our guests are comfortable and happy. We would of course have liked to have known where the spot on the carpet was so we could take care of that immediately. And we do place fans in windows during the warmer months only, as we do not have AC (most businesses and locals do not install AC in Big Bear as it does not get hot enough to necessitate the need). Again, we are on call and happy to remove fans or shut/open windows for guests at any time. Cottage 215 is at the top of our property, and as much as we try, we cannot control all noises in town, although Sleepy Forest is still located in a nice and peaceful area. Josh P., Manager.