“Convenient, comfortable and courteous!”

Best Western Big Bear Chateau
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Reviewed April 22, 2010

We recently spent 7 days at this lovely hotel and highly recommend it to anyone visiting Big Bear Lake. The staff was helpful and courteous and would always inquire if they could be of help. Our room was exceptionally clean. Prior to our visit, we had read some negative reviews, and, almost changed our reservation. I am so glad that we did not change because we did not find any of the negativity or complaints to be justified. This hotel is convenient to snowboarding and skiing sites, as well as, the lake; however, not within walking distance. The complimentary breakfast was very adequate, well prepared, and nicely presented. Pricing was appropriate and reasonable.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bigcookies

Reviewed March 22, 2010

Coming in welcome by friendly staff, cosy settings. I said to myself, this looks like a great location. Checked in and finally went to the room, I was suddenly less impressed.
Anyway, the problem with the hotel is there is noise coming from water flow in the pipe/plumbing system. The noise comes on and off with peak and valleys. Me and my wife pretty much could not sleep at all. The next morning, we checked with our friends and they told us they heard similar noise although it seems their room was not as bad as ours.
Either bring you earplug or Bose headset but for $165/night, I am sure they are better value in Big Bear.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Best Western Big Bear Chateau and Frat House. No kidding! I've written drafts of this post several times but had to start over as I was still so ticked off. What can I say? I should have paid closer attention to previous reviews from my Tripadvisor brothers and sisters before I went, as this problem was previously noted.

OKAY, BIG WARNING......this hotel books fraternity events at this site and then also books poor, unsuspecting families, like mine (and others). Two nights of no sleep listening to the music, barfing, arguing, from these frat boyz and their less than classy girlfriends. Police called second night, fire department here after fire alarm was pulled twice (hilarious frat joke, if you're 5 YO, I'm sure), and people passed out in the hallways, public make outs, nudity. Hot tub was uninhabitable by sober humans. I could go on and on. Staff was useless the first night, just joined in complaining to me about how bad these people were. and pointed out a girl, passed out in the lobby corner, stating she fell down the stairs and then passed out. (Uh, hello, 911?)

My 13 YO was too tired to snow board the next day and we had to leave the slopes. We returned to the hotel to take a nap, but, guess what? Frat parties go ALL DAY!

Second night there was an actual party for the frat in the meeting rooms. Unfortunately for us, our room balcony was directly across from the meeting room. After listening to loud screaming and the DJ's base until 11:18 p.m., the party moved into the hallways and, again unfortunately for us, the two rooms immediately across from us. At least the staff called the Sheriff, but it did not do much good. (Neither did the earplugs I bought). The frat boys were trashing the hotel, smoking in the halls, putting out their cigarettes on the carpet and furniture, beer bottles everywhere. Not one of them that I saw was polite or gave any regard to anyone else. I hope their mothers are really proud.

At 0200 when I was up anyway I went to the local 7-11 for some hot chocolate for the kids, who were also up. 7-11 clerk informed me that the "cops are always at that hotel" and went on to say that the week before it was for a drunk, naked frat boy in the parking lot. Nice.

I am writing an e-mail (at the request of the front desk supervisor) to the person that booked this group, and apparently the ones before it, but likely the money they bring in will override any suggestions from me. The hotel clerk took care of our room charges upon checkout; small consolation for a ruined ski weekend. Be warned, DON'T stay here.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank JLC&N
BestWesternChateau, Sales Coordinator at Best Western Big Bear Chateau, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2011

We have learned our lesson. We apologize that it was at your families expense. This was the first and only time this fraternal organization stayed at our hotel and they are not welcome to return. ALL of our guests are very important to us and we will not be booking these types of groups again.

Reviewed February 18, 2010

We liked the fireplace, balcony, convenient location, and nearby open space. We were lucky to be staying here vs. a cabin during an unexpected major snow storm. They were quick to plow out and it was near shopping and outside restaurants. We liked the bar / lounge area as well.

One of the reasons I picked the hotel was because they had a restaurant. After one poor meal, we were forced to eat there again since we were snowed in. It was seriously the slowest service I've ever had and staff was not apologetic and did not comp anything. My kids had a very difficult time waiting that long and the food was not great.

The room was a little tight and some small items were not functioning. There was also a mistake on the room charges, but the front desk staff was very nice and professional about it.

Overall, I would skip this one if going to Big Bear again and advise you to eat elsewhere if you are staying there, especially if you are travelling with small kids.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank GeckoMom
Reviewed February 14, 2010

My wife and I came here once before when this hotel in Big Bear was a Holiday Inn. At that time we loved the architecture, the room, the neat fireplace in the lobby, and the service.
This time it was Valentines Day (Sunday). We got here near noon to be reminded that we could not possibly check in prior to 4 pm as a Fraternity that checked out at 12 had created quite the mess. When I asked about dinner, the lady said that prices in their restaurant ranged from the holiday "special" of $35 for a meal to the real deal of $99 for their "champagne" dinner. However, the lady at the front desk told me that she was looking for dinner reservations for another couple and would be happy to do the same for us. She assured me that when we got back at 4, she would have something for us.

So, we came back at 3:45 to find the lobby and parking lot packed and that most everyone had already checked in. The lady who promised to find dinner reservations was no longer there and the young buck who was there didn't know anything about any note or anything that might have been left for us.

When we got to the room, there was only one towel, not too. We had hoped to watch the Olympics on the TV station, but the remote didn't work and when we did get it on by pushing buttons on the TV, the reception was very fuzzy. The room service guy fixed the remote and told us the there was nothing he could do about channel 4 (ABC). He assured us however that the other stations worked fabulously and to prove the point, left it on one of those channels.

The "coup de grace" however, was when we got back from dinner and decided to have a bit of dessert in the restaurant at the hotel. After waiting awhile to be seated, we were told that one had to buy the whole dinner to qualify for dessert. If you come here on Valentines Day, or probably any other day, you might one to consider another hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2010

We only stayed one night. The hotel was in a good location close to Bear Mountain, grocery stores, and the snow play park. The restaurant for dinner was a bit expensive for us, so we went else where. The breakfast was good, except they ran out of food and it took a while to replenish. Probably because there was only one waiter, taking care of tables and the food. The rooms were comfortable and clean, beds clean pillows fluffed. The tv was small and old, but could deal w/for 1 night. We had a balcony, it was small but it was ok. Yes, I would stay here again. But probably not more then 2 nights. Would stay longer with no kids.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2010

The lobby looked elegant so we decided to try the restaurant as we were told there was a new award winning chef. It was the worst meal we have ever eaten! We couldn't wait to get our bill just to get out! The pumpkin soup was returned, it tasted like mashed pumpkin pie that was left out for two days, very sweet and heavy, and the shrimp was hard and fishy. Made me feel ill afterwards. We now know why we were the only people in the restaurant on a Friday night! It made Sizzler look gourmet.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family