“Itsa room at best”

Best Western Big Bear Chateau
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Reviewed June 25, 2009

The place is really run down. The bathroom door would not lock. The outside window was off its track, so we could not open it. The air conditioner did not work and they kept the hallway temperture so hot that the room was about 80 degrees all night. Next time I'll try another hotel. The hotel's resturant even got a "B" rating for hygiene from the County, which is really bad.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed at the Best Western Chateau over the Presidents Day weekend. The hotel was completely booked. Knowing that it was a holiday weekend, and a Best Western, I had fairly low expectations. I'm quite happy to admit I was wrong. The hotel was lovely. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The service was wonderful. I absolutely loved the jacuzzi tub and in room fireplace. The hotel was close and convenient to Bear Mountain ski resort.

I agree with other reviewers that this is a noisy hotel. Not sure if the walls are extraordinarily thin, but you can hear the TV and radio in adjacent rooms and all of the hallway traffic. If you're a light sleeper be sure to bring earplugs.

All in all it was a very nice stay and I would not hesitate to book this hotel again.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I had been looking forward to going up to Big Bear sometime in the winter to play in the snow, having never had the opportunity when I was younger (I was raised in Charleston, SC -- no snow AND no hills!). DH and I decided to take the opportunity in early February. We really only needed one night. I searched for rates for Friday night, and they were very high all throuhout the town, even for low budget places. However, I got a king size bed and jacuzzi suite for only $90 at this place just by switching our reservation to Thursday night.
Based on a previous review, I called a few days after I made a reservation through orbitz, just to confirm the reservations. No problems there.
Upon arrival, we found the facility to be quite charming. It's an older building, and very nice, and its location was convenient to everything in the town. Check-in was easy and the clerk was pleasant. We were pleased to find out the the penalty for smoking in a non-smoking room was $500. Not being smokers ourselves, we are always disappointed to find that someone has smoked in a room. The clerk said that the high fine has cut down on such incidents.
The weather was nasty, so we decided to just eat at the hotel restaurant for dinner. Service there was absolutely less than stellar. The waiter had a sloppy attitude, and service was VERY slow. The food was okay, but not terrific. Prices were similar.
The room itself was good. The jacuzzi was adequate. A tiny bit small for two, but we made it work. The fireplace was nice and cozy, but, like a previous reviewer said, was not warm.
When it came time for bed, I found the bed to be too hard, but DH likes harder mattresses, so he was okay. Unfortunately (and possibly because the building is older), I heard noise from the hallway and other rooms a lot of the night -- people coming and going, slamming doors, etc., so it was not a restful night for me.
A note: Our room was not accessible completely by elevator -- a few stairs were required. If you have a handicap that would make that an issue, you may want to note it when you make your reservation.
Overall, it was a good deal for the price we got, but I would have been upset if we had paid more.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We were quoted a price when we made our reservation, then when we checked out, we were very surprised to find, the price per night was about $80 more. The people at the front desk couldn't help us, so we are in talks with corporate office.

This hotel is in desperate need of a renovation. We called down to the front desk to ask how to turn on the towel warmer. We were told to "just look at it, you'll figure it out" " I don't know how to turn it on , the maid has gone home for the night. " . We later found out that it had been broken for some time.

We will be staying somewhere else the next time we go skiing.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2009

The "Good", is price and great location. A "Great" entertainer in the Lounge with a cozy fire place ( I believe his name was Bob Baker who had a great selection of music) . The rooms were okay with some stains on the carpets which looked like red wine. When we went out on our "private" patio to take a breath of "mountain air" we found the screen door had been knocked off the runners and was blocking our exit. The tiolet seat lacked screws and I had to balance myself or risk sliding off. I did bring this to the attention of the front desk who sent someone to fix the problems. Did not have enough time to eat in the Bistro/Coffee shop, however the menu had a diverse selection and the environment seemed pleasant. Hotel Staff could use some awareness in customer service. I missed "Your Welcome" or "Enjoy You Stay" with a smile and feeling that someone actually took ownership. My wife said "it was okay for our needs" and that I've been spending too much time in the "Westin and Marriott Circuit". My fourteen year old daughter agrees with me.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2009

I'm the one everyone turns to when it's time to plan a trip because I'm thorough and can find great deals anywhere. That said, i looked up dozens of places to stay but decided on this place. I saw there were a few unhappy reviews but that's always going to be the case. The pictures seemed like the place was nice and clean (which it was!) so I booked this one through Orbitz - I googled "orbitz coupon codes" and got 20% off our stay, try it! So i got our room with 2 double beds for one night for around $80 - last minute I may add. I booked the room about a day and a half in advance. I called the day we were leaving to make sure our reservation went through and Penny answered the phone, she confirmed that my reservation was there.
It was pretty easy to find thanks to my GPS. But check in was easy, the girl at the desk was reading a book and I joked when i said "sorry to interrupt" and she said "oh no! not a problem, im sorry! how can i help you?" she was very nice, but i didnt catch her name. The hotel room was clean and enough for us to use for one night. The tv was okay size, but the quality wasn't that great. We were trying to watch a tv show that the 3 of us like and it looked like the entire episode was shot in the dark. (After we got home, my friend checked her tivo of it and the episode wasn't even CLOSE to being dark).. oh well.
The fireplace was one of those where you flip a switch and its supposed to turn on.. ours didnt. And when we clicked it off it made a non stop hissing sound, and it did it all through the night too, but we made do with it and ignored it. The heater worked fine, but the fan made an annoying noise and we couldn't stand it so we turned it off. It was late and we were tired, so we just went to sleep so we didn't bother telling management about it. It was pretty minor.
There are NO appliances in the room, other than a small coffee maker. So make sure you dont bring food that needs to be heated or refrigerated. By our room was the ice machine so we were able to get some scoops to keep drinks cold - but it's winter, im sure we could've left them in the car and not had to worry about them warming up! :)
Check out was just as easy, and I wish we could have stayed another day or two because of how nice the place was!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 20, 2009

All we wanted to do was change the date one day on a two day stay. What an incredible hassle. Countless phone calls back and forth between the hotel and Expedia. They essentially had to cancel and rebook for a one-day change. What idiots!!! And then, of course, it cost more. I would never book with this place again...

Stayed: January 2009