“Nicest in Big Bear!”

Best Western Big Bear Chateau
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Stayed here from Dec 26-Jan 2nd. Very nice place. 1 mile from Snow Summit. Staff was very helpful. Restaurant was good. Parking was good. Well appointed lobby and restaurant area. Nice continental breakfast. We had a wonderful time. Recommend for families, couples or single travellers. Great location and very nice hotel!

If handi-capped make sure to reserve handicap room. Some floors have stairs going up and down and could be hard for the disabled to access.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank euscarol

Reviewed December 27, 2011

My friends and I decided to do some asking and snowboarding at Big Bear and found this hotel to be the best die to it's nice country feel and at the same time it's opulent antique Italian design. All services were above expected and staff were friendly and very courteous.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Nata759
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Me and a friend came here for a winter break vacation. We were pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It's a unique combination of old and new. The free "continental" breakfast was great and included hot items including eggs, bacon, and potatoes and I was told they would be adding a self service waffle press soon. The bar was very nice and I met several locals that said it was the nicest bar in the area. The location is very close to the lift area. All in all, we had a great time! Beds were comfy (I'm picky about beds), but my only complaint is that I would have liked a flat screen in our room.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Megan M
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We decided to spend a half-day on the mountain boarding prior to the big holiday rush. While there the weather got a little whiter making us weary of going down the mountain at night. So we popped by the Best western to see if they had any availability. Lucky for us they did. We had stayed there before and found the place antiquates but was staying in a friend’s room and since then I always thought they were too expensive. I have now changed my mind they are worth every penny compared to the other hotel in big bear. The front desk staff upon arrival was very pleasant. They were very warm and welcoming with our last minute arrival going out of her way to get me a good deal. (+ Military discount!) The evening staff was very helpful as well. We had over heard them ordering a refrigerator to another guest room and asked for one as well. They quickly brought it. The rooms were very comfortable and clean; the cleaning staff was polite as well. The heat and fire place work! We spent some time at the hotel bar and Aaron (bartender) was a pleasure to talk with and provided great service. The food was good as well at the bar and the complimentary breakfast the next morning was simple but tasty.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kati I
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We were in Big Bear for a family emergency. Based on the circumstances were in, I searched for a hotel that was near where we needed to be. The Best Western Plus was a great find for me and my family. I have stayed at other Best Western's that are pretty basic in amenities and appearance. This hotel stands out from other Best Western's because this hotel has charm and style. The decor was beautiful with many touches you would find at other boutique hotels. The main lobby has lots of unique decor with a small display of antique cameras, chinese vases and glass chandiler's. The rooms were very clean and they even put a light scent in the rooms so when you walk in it's like you are home.

Our room had a small balcony with two chairs and a fireplace. We ran the fireplace all night and it was strong enough to keep the room warm. For those of you with children, the cable television featured all the major children's channels like Nick, Disney, Sprout and Cartoon Network. I have traveled to hotels where the only children's channel is Cartoon Network and my son is 5 so he still prefers the younger programming instead of cartoons geared for older channels. For adults, there was a variety of channels including CNN, PBS, NatGeo, Animal Planet, ESPN, Univision and all the local LA stations (chanels 2,4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13).

The free morning breakfast is unlike other "continental" breakfasts where it's just a carb fest. This breakfast included real scrambled eggs, cut potatoes, bacon (Saturday) and sausage (Sunday). There was yogurt, bagels, bread, mini muffins, fresh fruit, 3 types of cold cereals, oatmeal wth the trimmings and coffee, juice (cranberry and orange) and hot tea. As I sat in the breakfast area, I heard other hotel guests comment how wonderful it was to have a variety of food. The days I was there I didn't go out and have breakfast, I was full till lunch.

The location of the hotel is very close a Walgreens. And within walking distance to LaMontana Mexican Restaurant and a little further away was Captain's Anchorage. The hotel is also a very short drive to the base of Bear Mountain and Moonridge Zoo. I like this location because it is away from the hustle and bustle of the Village area which can get full by lunch and dinner time.

Overall, I was very pleased with our stay beyond the circumstances that brought us up to Big Bear. The next time I am in Big Bear or know of someone looking for a place to stay I will recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank onedeesse
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We were looking for lodging in Big Bear that we could count on and this hotel met all of our expectations. We had a wonderful hot breakfast each morning during our stay, the room and bathroom was clean and the hotel was very quiet. Because we do not own pets, we were happy to learn the pet people are located in the basement. This alleviated any anxiety that we may have if we thought the room we were spending the night in might have had dogs there the night before. What was disgusting, however, is while we were enjoying the hot tub, the pet people came out and let the dogs use the "restroom" in the grassy area near the pool and hot tub and did not pick up after them! This hotel should provide a designated area away from the hotel so other guests don't have to watch or step in something they shouldn't.

Room Tip: Second floor balcony room facing the woods.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
BestWesternChateau, Sales Manager at Best Western Big Bear Chateau, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and will take into consideration your comments about having a designated area for pets to do their business AWAY from the hotel. We look forward to having you stay with us again next time you are in the area.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

From the first moment we arrived, Peggy Dodge gave us quick service with a warm smile. She was very personable and caring and energetic. And she came round to say hello to us later as we all watched a gorgeous wedding from the beautiful balcony room that Peggy upgraded us to. She's wonderful.
Our room was beautiful, clean, well air conditioned, and the view of mountains and pines from our balcony and room was more than we could have asked for. Really really pleased.
The location is right by our friend's home in Moonridge, whcih is one of the nicest parts of Big Bear Mountain. And it was quiet. Just lovely
We had wine in the jacuzzi and an orchestra playing in the trees playing for the wedding, and we will both be going back there REAL SOON!!
Just loved it. Nothing bad to say... except that we had to leave it. ;(

Room Tip: talk to Peggy; I loved the first floor room with balcony that she upgraded us to
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
BestWesternChateau, Sales Manager at Best Western Big Bear Chateau, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review. I wish more people that had a positive experience at our hotel would take the time to do so. We are making every effort within our control to insure that all of our guest experiences are positive. We are glad that you had a wonderful time here in Big Bear and we look forward to your return visit.