“Don't Bother”

Ranked #10 of 16 Big Bear Region B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Don't Bother”
Reviewed December 28, 2008

We booked this hotel because it has suites w/kitchens (family of four) and many good reviews (this is a long one but worth the read). We went up on a holiday weekend (the coldest night at Big Bear for the season) and paid premium rates for a mediocre experience. First the Pros - room was exceptionally clean and bed/bedding was VERY comfortable. Cons - 1st thing that happened was my son got in the shower and quickly realized the tub was filling up with COLD water while hot water coming out the showerhead. Because the water was still pouring full force out of the tub filler when you turn the knob for the showerhead, the tub would fill up to your ankles within 2 minutes. He was forced to get in and get out as fast as possible or risk water overflowing. I called the front desk because I wanted to take more than a 3 minute shower and did not want to stand in cold, dirty water. The front desk sent a guy who basically told me "slow drain" and ya its broken "can't do anything tonight - can get a plumber out here Monday though" (great -thanks a lot....that really helped) 2nd negative - paper thin walls and our neighbors were loud, laughing, with TV on until 2 am. My husband and I woke up more than once to raucous laughter - but even their conversation voices were so clear they might as well have been sitting on our bed. I finally got up and went next door to let them know I could hear every word of their conversation even though I hardly thought it was their fault for the total lack of sound proofing. Between the neighbors and the malfunctioning wall heater (thermostat was not working properly. All night someone had to get up to turn on when it got too cold and then turn off when it got too hot. On top of that, it made loud clanging noises when it turned off) we did not get good sleep. The next morning I was exhausted, unshowered and cranky. I had to fight for a later check out time with the front desk and they only begrudgingly gave me an extra hour. In conclusion: Bring earplugs and you might be OK at this hotel if nothing else is wrong with your room. DON'T count on the front desk for help and DON'T stay on a holiday weekend. I did finally get a hot shower......last night when I got home!

• Liked — Clean room and kitchen
  • Disliked — Noise and lack of management help
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
firesideBigBearLake, Owner at Fireside Lodge, responded to this review, January 26, 2009
Although we try, to please our guests there was nothing that was going to satisy this one. She was unhappy from the moment she walked in the door my guess because of a 5 hour drive from San Diego in bad weather with screaming kids in the car.
Our front desk clerk was called about the drain in the shower being slow but at 11:00pm in a resort town on a major holiday it was next to impossible to get it fixed at that moment. The problem was cleared up the next day as she neglects to mention. We have a 24/7 emergency line that could have been used to report unruley neighbors.No attempt was made to get ahold of management. The guest also used the wrong thermostate to warm her room the heaters have been upgraded and she choose to remove a cover from the old heater that was not in service. In a resort town like Big Bear we get one chance to make our guest happy and we work very hard to please everyone unfortunately one bad review can really hurt us. She neglected to say that she was given a full refund and a free weekend voucher to try to make up for her displeasure.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
La Verne, CA
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Staff was friendly and courteous. The room was very clean and comfortable. Our experience was very positive and we'd stay again in a heartbeat. Downtown was in easy walking distance, as well as the marina. Continental breakfast had a good variety of breakfast foods.

• Liked — Clean, & comfy accommodations
  • Disliked — No fan
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
california
Reviewed July 22, 2008

It had snowed and I was not prepared to drive on the icy roads. The manager was the best. She showed me around, offered dinner ideas, loaned me movies for free and all at a great price. The room was very clean with everything needed. My stay was made comfortable and friendly by the staff.

• Liked — The people
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business