“Fun experience”

Baldwin Lake Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: Horseback rides that range from one hour to a half-day in length that explore the scenic countryside of the Big Bear Valley.
San Diego, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fun experience”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

This was my first time horseback riding so I was a little scared. However, these horses are very well trained so you don't have to do much. The guide was very nice and friendly. We took the 1-hour trail which I would recommend if you have never been horseback riding since your butt can get a little sore. I'd say this would be good for those who are beginners. It was a little pricey and they charge a little extra if you use a credit card which was a little annoying. The total for 2 people for the 1-hour trail came out to be $90 ($5 extra per person since we paid with credit). Also, apparently the guides only get paid with tips so we tipped our guide $10. If that is indeed true I would say that's pretty sad. If not, then that's not cool either. Overall it was a great experience for me who has never been on a horse before.

Visited September 2011
4 Thank kelody

Richmond Hill, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“High priced mediocre experience-and there is no lake view”
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We booked a 1 hr guided tour this past Sat. and were looking forward to what we thought would be a secluded tour in the forest. We paid $40 cash per person, so for our family of 4, it was definitely expensive. If we had paid by credit card, the cost would have been $45 per person (Yikes!) Positive: They were good at matching us to the horses and picked out appropriate horses for our experience level. The kids enjoyed being on the horses and the guides took our picture with our camera. Negatives: The entire ride only lasted 50 minutes; we traveled up a dirt road approx 1/2 mile to a trail in the SanBernardino Nat'l Forest. The trail itself was in a residential area of the forest; there were probably only a couple of times that we couldn't see someone's home. There weren't really any views, other than the trees and the residences (no panoramic views at all-we weren't that high up). The guides really didn't impart any knowledge of the area or its history to us. I had to ask questions to even get them to talk. I'd say that we spent maybe 20 minutes on a circular trail in the treed forest area, and then back to that dirt road that went back to the stables. Probably traveled less than 3 miles round trip. If the cost was only $20 per person, maybe it would have been worth it, but for $160, I expected much better. I think a visit in their petting zoo should be included with the horseback ride; it would have made the cost slightly more palatable. The petting zoo otherwise cost $3. OH, and I almost forgot about the blatant signs posted several places that the guides only work for tips. WHAT?!! For $160, we still are expected to provide a tip? UNBELIEVABLE. Here's my tip: Save your money for the Alpine Sled luge ride on Big Bear Blvd. It was more fun, less expensive, and provided for much better views at the top!

22 Thank OHmilitaryfamily
Big Bear, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great time”
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I live in Big Bear and have been riding with Baldwin stables a few times now. I love horses and since I do not have my own I go out on theirs every so often. Recently I had a friend from Norway visiting so we decided to take the 2 hour ride. It was mid week and it ended up being just the 2 of us and our guide. I enjoyed the 2 hour over the 1 hour which I have take a few times before. I also would like to do the sunset and a full moon ride if they bring those back. The 2 hour took us further out and we ended up on a beautiful overlook that we took a few pictures of the valley below. Our guide was friendly and informative.

7 Thank BigBearChick
Marina del Rey, California
182 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 226 helpful votes
“Beautiful Views”
Reviewed June 1, 2006

We went on the Sunset Ride and the views were spectacular. Everyone was really nice and we had a wonderful time.

9 Thank Sally B
A TripAdvisor Member
“Fun but pricey”
Reviewed April 11, 2004

The one-hour ride at Baldwin Stables was pricey but fun. Be sure to call ahead to make reservations. On the one-hour ride, we made our way on sturdy steeds up the pine and cactus-covered hills on narrow trails. All was sere and beautiful. Our guide was knowledgeable and kind, especially to the children. It was a terrific ride!

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member