“Would definitely stay here again.”

Honey Bear Lodge & Cabins
San Diego, California
“Would definitely stay here again.”
Reviewed January 12, 2010

My husband and I decided to take our kids to the snow for Christmas. We have a four month old and a 3 year old and the younger one does not like being in his car seat so we decided to go to the mountains nearest us that had snow.

I looked online for the hotel room and when I saw the pictures for the Honey Bear Lodge room with the jacuzzi I was sold. The room was on the expensive side and being a holiday it had a two night minimum, but it included a wood stove, jacuzzi, kitchenette, refrigerator, second room with a twin and a double bed and TVs in both rooms.

When we arrived on Christmas Eve around 6pm, the lady at the front desk was very helpful. Even though the rooms were heated she gave us a small space heater in case we decided we were too cold. We checked into our room very quickly and decided to go exploring. The lodge has a little jungle gym on site for your young children and my 3 year old quickly ran over there. Then she discovered snow for the first time since the grounds were completely covered in them. The location is awesome as you are a very short walk away from the center of the village where the two main drags meet. Restaurants and shops abound.

The next day we were able to walk down to the lake where the water had hardened into ice at the edges. As we walked back up, we stopped at a small liquor store at the edge of the village. Make sure you go there if you forgot to bring something for your trip as this place has the best prices in California. I was expecting to pay tourist prices and the prices there for random items such as lotion, candy, drinks, etc. were less than I pay at the local grocery store in San Diego.

The best part of our trip though was the open field next to the lodge where everyone was sledding (for free!). We had asked at the front desk where to go sledding and she had let us know that we could pay $50 per person at one of the sledding resorts or that we could buy a sled in town for $20 and use the field next door. We opted for the latter and had a blast.

We actually cooked most of our meals in the kitchenette in our room so I can't say how the restaurants in town were. The one major drawback to the lodge is that you have to wash your own dishes and clean up after yourself. Doesn't make you feel like you're on vacation does it?

Oh yes, before I forget, the jacuzzi tub. After being outside in the cold all day, it was a welcome treat. My husband, me, and my daughter could all fit in at the same time if we wanted to, but one of us adults was holding the baby so it was only two at a time in there. The water came out hot and fast. Yay!

The rooms are a little rundown but very clean and I can't say the beds are super comfortable, but they're definitely acceptable. Overall though, the location and the amenities would make me decide to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank airwebone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Evanston, IL
Reviewed August 6, 2009

A large group of us shared one of the cabins for a mostly outdoor summer retreat. We were not looking for a 4-star hotel, so for the money it was a great value. We spent much of our time outside around the cabin as well as hiking some of the nearby trails. There was a lot of usable space around the cabin for our group where we cooked large meals on the barbeque and utilized several picnic tables that were at our disposal (there was also a full kitchen for cooking indoors). And at night we made use of the communal space around the fire pit. The cabin had a nice indoor fireplace as well, was clean and in close proximity to the lake, the village and many restaurants. It’s not located deep in the woods, but we were surrounded by nice views and enough trees to make you feel secluded from the town, which is what we wanted.

• Stayed July 2009
United States
Reviewed October 20, 2008

We stayed here briefly for one night as we were going to Oktoberfest. Well it does it's job, a place to sleep and shower but don't expect a very "upscale" place. I would compare it to an average Motel 6 or Hotel 8 kind of feel.

The big plus though, is it is walking distance to the Village and restaurants........don't have to worry about parking.

REVIEW:

The front staff was friendly.

Room: had an ok bed with bathroom.

I would stay here again if I was going to be in Big Bear for one night but if you want something upscale this is not the place.

Big Bear tip for Oktoberfest: Look at staying at the Motel 6: it's just right across the street from the convention center.

• Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Washington
Reviewed September 28, 2006

I recently visited Honeybear Lodge and decided to post this because an incident that happened at this location has bugged me since my visit. My buddies and I were visiting Honeybear Lodge September 13-14, 2006 when we encountered a disturbance. This made us feel very uncomfortable as we were kicking back and having fun on the grass area. An older lady drove up went into the office door which followed a lot of screaming then she went to a room just a door or so down, knocking on the door and screaming at the man and lady inside the room. She was very loud and was threatening to call the police on what appeared to be other customers. She was rude and used many obscene words. The blonde lady was in tears and crying. This made me and my buddies feel uncomfortable and unwelcome not sure what is going on. We wanted to check out and leave to another hotel. But we had already been drinking.

Later we find that the man that was under attack from this woman was Manager in Charge and his wife and that this older loud woman thought she was in charge with all her yelling and screaming and saying rude words. If it were not for us speaking to the Manager, we would have felt the need to check out. We come to Big Bear quite often as a getaway and not to hear some obnoxious woman screaming obscenities at people inside one of the rooms. There were other people who witnessed this as well and they looked uncomfortable. I especially felt sorry for another young girl who appeared to be stuck in the middle of this.

Our stay was still all right. We really liked the room we were in. We liked being close to town. We could walk to the movies, to eat and to the bars. The rates were comparable to other places in the nearby area. We felt that the location offered a nice getaway and a nice view of the lake. The room was clean and offered plenty of fresh coffee.

I would return here again if this woman is not there.

• Liked — Walk to town
  • Disliked — One staff lady was unfriendly
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank happyjenstar
redlands
Reviewed May 27, 2006

We paid $135 for a room on Memorial Day weekend. The only reason that we booked this room was becauase it was the only hotel in Big Bear that took one night reservations. That night it was VERY cold. We paid six dollars for firewood and lit a fire, Later that night, the room was so smoky that my husband had trouble breathing! Yes,the flue was open.

To top it off, the room was not very clean. The coffee pot had not been rinsed out from the previous occupant. The bathroom had mold. There were big chips and holes in the wall. A large hole in the door was covered over by masking tape! For less money, I might not complain so much but for that price, much more is expected.

On the postive side, the staff was nice. We, however, will not be back!

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank ilovehawaiiredlands
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 9, 2006

We stayed there for a short weekend 2 weeks ago. Really liked the location in the Village. Hotel room was pretty rundown. VERY uncomfortable bed and bedding. Had the Jacuzzi room suite with extra bedroom and kitchen. Wood burning heater was nice touch. Thought it was a bit overpriced for value. Nice staff however. Pretty clean.

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed December 25, 2005

We stayed at one of the cabins that was really like a semi attached house. It was not in the woods at all although you can see a great view of the lake from the parking lot--none of the rooms face the lake!

My biggest beef was that the room was dirty. the carpet was so dirty that my socks got dirty from walking on it. The bathroom had holes in the wall from where a towel rack used to hang and the door to the bedroom didn't open all the way because the room had crammed an extra queen size bed in it. The bedspread on our bed had a huge brown stain on the underside.

The living room furniture was really rundown--funky and uncomfortable--the picture i saw was taken when it was new.

But the worst part for me was I had to clean the kitchen and take out all of the trash! I paid 600 bucks for a mini christmas vacation and i still had to clean up after my family. If you didn't do these things, they would charge you a fee based on what they felt like charging. This probably explains why the room felt funky--when a hotel gives partial responsibility of cleaning the room to the people renting it, you can expect that things will start to fall apart quickly.

We spent no time in the room ( someting hard to do when you have a toddler and a three month old baby) which saved the vacation, but i would not stay there again--especially after reading other tripadvisor reviews about other hotels and cabins at big bear lake

• Stayed December 2005