“One star is too kind!!!!!”

Knights Inn Big Bear Lake
Ranked #13 of 16 Big Bear Region B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 31, 2012

When we arrived in the lobby it looked homely and inviting. Not first class, but this is the mountains. The staff were very friendly and nice so you couldn't fault them for that. After the greeting were out of the way, we were gave our room keys and disturbing directions to another building that was not assessable unless you had a 4x4! I was already starting worry, when we got to the room I was terrified! We had to carry our bags up a back staircase, no lifts, to our room that was right on the staircase! The room it's self had not only seen better days it was not even fit for a soup kitchen regular! The heating was gas fired with no carbon monoxide alarm, and as a director of a gas heating company I would have condemned the heater if it was in England!
The bathroom was actually disgusting and was as far as I could tell more of a death trap than shower room.
Please, please look for somewhere else to stay until this company knock down this hotel and rebuild. Because it does not matter how much they spend refurbishing this building it will still be terribly insulated and set out!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Knights Inn Big Bear Lake

Reviewed September 11, 2012

OK, so I was in a hurry to reserve a room because my pirate jam band had a big performance in nearby Lake Arrowhead. In Lake Arrowhead, every hotel requires a two-night stay on weekends, so if I didn't want to drive all the way back down the mountain in the wee hours of the morning, Big Bear was my choice.
I didn't want to spend a ton of money, and I needed to get a reservation and get on to other things, so I didn't do as in-depth of an investigation as usual. Too bad for me.
First off, the front desk clerk was very pleasant, and while I find it odd that they filled in their swimming pool with dirt and planted it with grass, the motel is located in a very convenient location.
But once I opened the door to my room, the reality of my mistake set in.
First, in the front of the room, the carpet was stained and abused, as if someone had brought their Harley into the room, changed the oil, and worked on the engine for a weekend. It was bad. The furniture was broken, lampshade ripped, and there was filth and what appeared to be rodent feces in the front corner of the room. The beds, while very basic, were clean, and the bathroom had somewhat been remodeled, though there were problems there as well - missing light bulbs, beat to hell toilet seat - signs of far gone neglect that stood out even more with the tile job around them.
But, I had booked the room, and had to be off to arrrrgghhh performance. When I returned, around 2 a.m., I was exhausted and in no state of mind to be overly critical. I wanted rest. But slight scurrying noises kept me awake for some time until I became too tired to care.
I didn't hang around in the morning, or try their breakfast, if they had one. I just showered and got the hell out of there. I was not pleased, but I survived just fine. The front desk clerk knew better than to ask me how I liked my stay. Oh, and there appeared to be a room down the way that had a broken window that I noticed on my way out.
When I got back home, I contacted the Knights Inn/Wyndham folks about my concerns and told them if it was my motel chain, I certainly would not allow my brand to be associated with a place this bad off. Instead of taking any action, they forwarded my note to the hotel owner (Knights Inns are independently owned, like Best Western, but that's as far as that resemblance goes). He left me a long message about their hard luck story and how much they are working to do better, and how I could have a free night's stay if I returned, which I have no intention of doing. He sounded like a nice guy, but if I was Wyndham, I would have given out a refund and taken action to disassociate my brand with this dump.
Bottom line: Do NOT stay here. If, at some point far in the future you are tempted, make sure to go and personally ask to see the room prior to your stay. There are many places to stay in Big Bear, so you do not need to stay here. This was the worst hotel/motel I've stayed in (and I travel a lot), since the Hotel Luxemburgo in Thessalonika almost 15 years ago.

Room Tip: Pick a room in a different motel. Do NOT stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TheSunRunnerMagazine
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here during Christmas week 2011. The management is extremely nice and helpful but it cannot make up for the horrible facility. The hotel looks like it was purchased in a foreclosure sale and reopened without investing one penny into rehabing it. The building is musty smelling. The carpets were last cleaned during the Nixon administration. Paper thin walls and doors allow for noise to penetrate from everywhere. Our bathroom had a shower head that was so low that only my six year old daughter could use it. The heater was a very old wall heater that kept going out and you were affraid to try to reignite it due to fear of blowing up the entire building. There is a pool that is empty and in need of A LOT of renovations. The furniture is at least 30 years old and falling apart. I thought that I would never say this, but pay the extra $10 and stay at the Motel 6. The Motel 6 is a 5 star accomodation compared to this place!

Room Tip: The only good room is a room at another hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My wife and I booked this hotel online. We show up, they give us our keys and off to our room we go. The front window next to the door is broken . Meaning that anyone can reach through the window and open the door from the inside. So I tell the manager this and he says he will have it fixed in an hour or so. My wife and I come back after going to dinner and he "fixed" it by puting a piece of card box in it which can be pushed through. We went to the front desk and asked for our money back. We had paid online credit card and are still waiting for our refund. We had to go somewhere else that night because it was unsafe.

Plus... after getting a real hotel we were talking to some locals and they said you don't want to stay there because they never change the sheets.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This place should be shut down. We were out there for a tournament with about 40 people in our group. Each room had its own problems, but they were all disgusting. Our room was located across the street from the main site, the person running the desk didn't even bother to tell us that there was even rooms across the road, let alone that that's where ours was located.

One of the families received a room where you could wipe the dust off the beds. The chairs, the tv, the kitchen, and everything else was covered in a layer of black residue. Not to mention the full on infestation of bugs underneath the bedspread. When they went to speak to management, the man told them that no one had stayed in that room for 2-3 years, and that they hadn't had time to clean it.

The entire place looked like it was falling apart. The walls were filthy, the carpet was black, the window didn't open, the fan wouldn't turn on, and the sheets were dirty. But, like the other reviews say, there was a letter from management saying they were undergoing renovations, and to please excuse the dust. However, I didn't see a single thing being worked on while I was there, and if the note was dated February 2011, then someone is ripping them off. Like I said, this place should be shut down.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This place is way outdated (1970's)! The room we stayed in (#111) was filthy. The carpet looked like someone changed the oil on their Harley-Davidson on it. There were spiders and spider webs throughout. There were holes in the wall and on the floor of the bathroom. There was no air conditioning, we slept with the door and windows open to cool the room overnight. The "free breakfast" consisted of cookies and watered down coffee. The only positive things to say about this place is it's in a good location within walking distance of "The Village" and the staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank The-NV-Reeds
Reviewed May 28, 2012

First I want to Thank Harvey at the front desk for his understanding...You deserve better than this place..
Expedia says this place in 2 star...Price Line says 1....I say 0 and the Health Dept. needs to come out and shut this place down.
I am happy to say Expedia is giving our money back and we didn't have to stay...Pictures to follow.

Room Tip: No Elevator, Pool or Lounge/Bar
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple