“Worst stay I've ever had”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Goldmine Lodge

Goldmine Lodge
“Worst stay I've ever had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

As I write this, it is 2am and the nonstop creaking above of what sounds like people running above us is still going. I might as well go up there and hang out with them since I can hear every word of their conversation. This is only slightly better than the constant dog barking from the room next to us which went on from about 6-7. A double bed is not a queen bed, so don't call it one. Absolute dump. Miserable. A trip ruiner. Don't spend your money here.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Tripper619

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Brea, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

We used to go to the Goldmine Lodge with Jim and Cathy owned it. It has been sold, the new owner is apparently in it only to make money. On the web page it says that it has been re-furbished, it has not, nothing has changed.
First off, if you go, make sure to reserve with the credit card you will be using because they will not change it, or let you pay in cash. We reserved a suite with a kitchen (Room 6) planning on cooking, when we tried to make our dinner, the oven/stove did not work. We went to the gal in the office, she gave us her own (she said) portable stove to use. Ok, this was a band-aid, but it worked. On our second day, we were out for most of the day. When we arrived back to our room, we discovered the maid service had not been there. Again, we went to the office only to be told that since we got a "special" price of $80.00 a night, there was no maid service. Since the price was so low, it was not beneficial for the owners to bring in the maids (it cost too much). Apparently, you have to stay for 3 nights in order to get maid service.
It's a shame that the new owner does not want to spend the money needed to keep people coming back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ravenlab
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

My family of 5 stayed at lodge #3 and we we're very comfortable. There is a huge fireplace in the living room and a nice working flat screen TV. There are two comfy beds in the other room and a small standard bathroom with a shower (no tub). The location is great - Walgreens is walking distance to get your supplies. Overall, this place is a nice place to stay especially if you have children or a couple who wants to relax and just getaway.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Withkid
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

Went to Big bear for New years and stayed at the Goldmine. I was pleasantly surprised when we walked in as the room had a cabin feel to it even though all the units were attached (as opposed to real cabins). The room had a heater and a fake fireplace, good decor, TV, microwave, mini fridge, pretty much all we needed since we didn't spend that much time inside. Awesome water pressure in the shower too. The place is right on Moonridge, a few minutes away from Bear Mountain and the Zoo. Also a short drive from the Village. If you're looking for an inexpensive, decent place to stay, this is it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Laguna, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

My husband and I absolutely loved staying at Goldmine. We went there to celebrate our anniversary, and couldn't have made a better choice. We stayed in the deer room, and the décor was amazing. It was romantic yet provided with a mountain vibe. I have been coming to Big Bear since I was a child and you would be surprised by other hotels seem like just like the rest you'll find in Los Angeles. The Jacuzzi was surrounded by tall pine, and at night with the bright stars that we are deprived of in LA it was beyond romantic. The best part was the prices, which were only $59 dollars a night. The two ladies at the office were very helpful, and supplied us with a ton of ideas, especially geared towards a young couple. My husband and I had a great time, and we are planning a trip to come back out with my sister and boyfriend in the winter.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Winnetka, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

My husband, two daughters ( 9 & 5) my bestfriend and myself spent two nights. The cabin was clean and newly remodeled. It was really wonderful. We all had a really good time. We only had to ask for what we needed and it was done fairly quickly. I would recommend it for any family. There was plenty of room.

Thank you for a terrific experience.

Lisa Schatkowski

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Winnetka, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

My wife and I took the kids to Big Bear for the weekend. We all had a greatd time! The #5 cabin at the Goldmine Lodge was very cozy. The management was excellent and went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we felt we needed. Thank you Leslie, Vic and Kyle! We'll definitely be back. Plus, the cabin was very affordable and close to the lake and the zoo. The kids especially loved the waterslide at the fun park. I would recommend parents getting the day pass for $12. Best money I ever spent!
Phil S.