“BAD SERVICE”

Knickerbocker Mansion Country Inn
Reviewed March 1, 2011

DO NOT book here. They have the worst customer service. I called to complain about an experience I had, instead of maintaining good customer service, both owners got very defensive, allowed the conversation to escalate, even to the point where they hung up on me!! They even threatened me if I wrote a bad review. Oh well for them.

Even before my stay, the owners give out an attitude like you are an inconvenience to check you in. WARNING, they charge you 45 $, if you check in after 9pm and every hour after.....REGARDLESS. Even if you get stuck in traffic on the way up, which usually happens in winter due to accidents and chain stops. We left at 3pm and still barely made it. They were not making any exceptions. Again, bad service.

They try to give it a b& b feel, but the owners are just not welcoming. the rooms are super small, it is warm inside though. There is free wifi, that was nice. The breakfast sucks. Dinner is ok, but waaay over priced. Beside, it is far from the center area and you can't really walk anywhere unless in the summer..... probably.

bottom line, go somewhere else. Hotel stays like this are about feeling comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank PatnStph

Reviewed January 7, 2011

My husband and I traveled to Big Bear for the holidays and stayed here. Alot of places in BB require a 3 night stay minimum but this place allowed us to stay for 2 nights, main reason why we picked it. Its in a good location, very close to the main village. We checked in and the owner Stanley was there, he was nice and hospitable. My husband thinks he was just "ok". Breakfast is included, either at 830 or 930. They do have a restuarant there which is pricey, but the food is pretty good. I reccommend the mushroom ravioli.

We stayed in the carriage suit. When we got there the heater in the room wasnt working, but Stanley had a guy out there fixing it, so we at least had the heat going. The room has a fireplace and a old tv with video/dvd player. If you're coming, bring some dvds with you, he has some, but they are pretty old. There's a couch there, its okay comfortable, the fireplace doesnt give off much heat, we could have done without it...There is a mini fridge there, so we kept some wine bottles in there...The bathroom is pretty nice...its a marble bath with a jacuzzi and a standing shower. There is a hairdryer. They give you soap and lotion, and thats about it. There are towels there, but no one comes to clean your room, which i kinda was surprised, since we paid close to 300 a night here. It was my first time in a B&B, i expected more. The bed was also not very comfortable. The pictures on the website of this place are pretty comparable to what the room actually looks like.

For breakfast, it was okay, they gave a fruit smoothie, and eggs. The next day it was fruit bowl and french toast. Coffee and juice is included. My husband is allergic to eggs, so all they had for him was oatmeal or cold cereal. I also expected a little more for breakfast since we are paying quite a bit. The continental breakfast at a hotel is better than this, meaning you have more options. There was no toast/muffins, etc.

STanely is pretty helpful though, we didnt know much around the area, and he gave us a flyer for Goldsmiths rental, and this place rents everything you need for winter sports. Jackets, pants, snowboard, skiis. And if you mention the knickerbocker you get like a 10% discount. They are pretty nice there and the prices cant be beat. We went skiing at snow summit which we were told is a friendlier and more famiily oriented place. If you havent skiied before, i reccommend taking a ski lesson, which they offer there and the instructors are great. I took a lesson and it was really good. They have a big area for beginners. Its gets pretty busy there though during hte holiday season.

All in all the mansion is not a bad place to stay at. I just wouldnt spend that kind of money on it, so if he has a special going, go for it, otherwise skip it. If its available,go to Northwoods, its looked pretty legit from what we saw.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2010

We arrived at the Knickerbocker very excited to take our five year old son on his first snow trip. We arrived around 1:00 and were told the room wasn't ready yet. OK, no problem we were a little earlier than the check in time. Soon the owner arrived, and here is where things went terribly wrong. While the three of us stood there, he (the owner) asked us how many would be staying in the room, puzzled we replied my husband, myself and the five year old. The owner then stated, that he could not allow more than two people to sleep in the room due to the strict regulations and rules that govern Bed and Breakfast establishments. He stated that our only alternative was to either rent another room or two of us stay there and one of us get a room somewhere else, but under no circumstances could the three of us stay in that room. On top of this, he would charge us $100 for the cancellation, at first he said he would charge us the full price, this was his compromise. Needless to say, we paid the $100 cancellation fee and at peak season went out on the streets of Big Bear looking for a descent place to stay. From what I saw, the place was clean beautifully decorated and probably a nice place to stay. Just make sure you are very careful in reading all of the rules and regulations that come with staying here. Good Luck.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Management response:Responded January 9, 2011

We are always sorry when someone does not include children when counting people and making a reservation online. Our systems will not take a reservation with more people than is allowed in the guest room. Our occupancy for each room is controlled by insurance, operating permits and fire regulations for our property. We do not violate the regulations. We provide confirmation paperwork, which in this case the incoming guest actually signed and faxed back to us. It is clear on our web site and on the signed documents the occupancy, including children of any age. Please read and understand your paperwork, including our cancelation policies. The guest lost and so did we. The guest was turned away with a minimum cancel fee and our room sat empty during a holiday time period. It was a no win for everyone concerned.

Reviewed October 4, 2010

This was my first visit to a B&B and it was absolutely delightful. The room we had was smallish, my only disappointment, but there were larger ones to upgrade to. Our room was completely remodeled with a flat screen tv and was set off away from the road, more into the forest, literally a 50 yards from miles and miles of hiking. The food, and the service around it, was incomparable. Truly a gourmets delight. Our breakfast hostess gave each table a map of the area and explanations on the local attractions. Because of this we had a blast. I would highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RPfeiler
Reviewed September 26, 2010

My husband and I were looking for a place to celebrate our 2 year anniversary when I saw the Living Social deal for the knickerbocker mansion. With a 5 course dinner and a bottle of wine included in the 2 night stay deal, we couldn't pass it up!

Upon our arrival Thomas (one of the innkeepers and the head chef) checked us in and was very friendly and accommodating. Luckily for us we arrived on a Thursday so we had the whole Inn and town of Big Bear to ourselves! It was great! We stayed in the Forest View I room and it was very small, but had a quaint, rustic feel to it. We had a hard time sleeping but it was mostly because of the dry air of being in 7,000+ feet elevation.

Friday morning we got the opportunity to meet the other innkeepers, Stan and Nancy. Great people! They were very welcoming and talked to us during breakfast. We felt like we were home! They also helped us decide what activities we should do during our stay & made our 5 course dinner reservations.

Dinner was GREAT! Chef Thomas is an excellent cook and we highly recommend to at least eat here if you don't stay here! We had the mushroom ravioli and fried calamari appetizers. The fried calamari was the best we've had! Then we had the fillet mignon and the salmon entrees, both very good. Barely had room for dessert, the lava cake and creme brulee - yum!

Breakfast was served on Saturday morning again - so good! First breakfast was waffles with raspberries & bacon and then sunny side up eggs with bacon and english muffins. They ask you when you check in if you have dietary restrictions but my husband and I have none.

We had a great time and were sad to leave! Great service, food, and very friendly staff. For our first time in Big Bear, we wouldn't have done it any other way!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adamsmp
Reviewed September 23, 2010

The Knickerbocker is definitely more Country Inn than elegant Mansion, but it has a homey feel and inviting ambience. Our large suite was wonderful; old-fashioned decor in the cabin, but with a HUGE gorgeous, marblefloored bathroom! We drank wine in the jacuzzi tub together, and then showered off in a very big glass shower. The room had a table and chairs, a sofa, a TV, a small fridge and a private, wraparound deck. They had even provided some games and movies. Really thoughtful.
The most amazing part was our dinner in the Inn dining room. It was absolutely delicious, prepared perfectly. A fancy tablesetting, mood lighting and warm service. We were pretty stunned. I had read some negative remark about the Innkeeper in a TripAdvisor review, and honestly, he was nothing but accommodating to us. He and his partner run the place by themselves, so occasionally he can cut things short because he is trying to get a lot of things handled. We had a really nice time there and would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2010

The Knickerbocker Mansion had a very homey and comfortable feeling. The dinner and breakfast were very good. Stan and Nancy made you feel like you were at home and not at a hotel and were more than willing to help you. Nancy would tell you everything in the area that are good points of interest to go and see around the town. It had a very casual elegant 5 course meal that I would recommend to try on your stay. The common/lobby area felt like your own living room with a fireplace, comfortable couches, table and chairs, and had movies for you. You get the key to the lobby that had free coffee, tea, hot cider or hot chocolate ready for you anytime. We felt comfortable coming down early in the morning and getting some hot cider and hot chocolate. Stan and Nancy would be in the common area to greet you in the morning, enhancing the homey feeling of the place. An additional convience would be that it is walking distance to the village, as well as the lake. They also had a computer that anyone can use with internet and open wifi. I would also recommend checking their website for deals and any other questions you may have. I emailed them with a question and got a response quickly.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple