“Disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Came here for dinner on a weekend getaway. My husband I love thai and japanese food. I ordered chicken teriyaki over fried rice, and i didnt even recognize my dish. My rice was literally drenched in sauce...it looked more like slop, and the chicken was bland. My huband ordered shrimp tom yum. There was literally only two pieces of shrimp in his soup. I dont know about the sushi, because we didnt try any, but after our experience i dont see us coming back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Big Bear Lake, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, owner not so good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Food is good. Have no complaints there. Service from the wait staff isn't too bad, just a little slow. Now, the owner, Pong, is another story. The first time I went in there with my husband was last summer. It was hot outside and we were parched. We sat and Pong came to take our order. We asked for water and she said "you order first!". She was curt and very rude. I have since been back twice. (Without my husband, he won't go back) The last time I found out she had discontinued the fortune cookies (to save a buck I was told) and will not take credit or debit cards for less than $15. That was the last straw. Won't ever go back!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Jackie W
Big Bear City, California
“Pong's Oriental Delights”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband and I go to Pong's for the Sushi, in particular the California Delight. It is served on a sushi boat and has Crab, Avocado and Cream Cheese inside, Crunchy Powder with Sweet Sauce outside and costs $10.99. My husband loves the Big Bear Roll which is the same price and includes Chicken, Shrimp, Avocado, Green Onions, Carrot and Sesame Seed (I've not tried it yet so can't comment on that one).

The food is always fresh, tasty and affordable; while the service is always warm, welcoming and prompt.

I was never a fan of sushi until we started going to Pong's and now I can't get enough. A testament to the master sushi training of the owner of Pong's.

The place is closed on Tuesdays. Here's a link that'll take you to their hours and menu.http://www.bigbearlake.net/restaurants/­restdisplay.asp/restid/1066

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank TinaDLD
Big Bear Lake, California
“Great healthy Asian Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Every time we eat at Pong's, we're never disappointed. I usually have the vegetarian Pad Thai, and my husband gets the orange chicken. The cucumber salad (although you can get soup instead) is always delicious and a get start to the meal. What's also great is that you can order the food just about any way you want. For example, if you want the sauce mild versus spicy, just let the server know when you're ordering. If you want something without onions (like me), make sure you let them know when you place your order. The sushi is also very popular at Pong's. While I don't eat the fish, my friends did, and very much enjoyed the sushi boat. I usually order the vegetarian sushi rolls with tofu, and have always been pleased with it. Since I love the pickled ginger they use as a garnish, they always give me extra. :-) The service is always excellent, even when they're crowded. If you're in Big Bear, definitely eat there for lunch or dinner. They are closed on Tuesdays, though.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Myrmyr971
Big Bear City, California
“another local's favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Food is tasty, especially if you like Thai coconut curry, or Pad Thai noodles. Not a big place nor fancy. Good place for lunch specials. My only complaint is their green tea is weak and not complimentry. it will cost you an extra $2 . For excellent green tea and sushi..., go down the street to Fuji restaurant.

• Visited July 2012