“Pricey, but best hotel for July 4th”
Review of Marina Resort

Marina Resort
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Residing North of Los Angeles, Big Bear Lake is a nice weekend getaway. We venture to different hotels throughout the year, but for the Fourth of July there is no better hotel than Marina Resort. It is expensive, but with each room having its own balcony and the fireworks barge based right in front of you on the lake, it's like your own private showing. It has a private beach, which is fenced off during the holiday for guests only, volleyball net, pool table, ping-pong table, all on the beach, and a sparkling pool and hot tub. Also, a gazebo and a few rustic swings for couples are scattered about. It's a two minute walk to the Village and a two minute walk to Pine Knot Landing, where you can rent boats. They do not allow animals on the premises though. I'm not sure what the prices are throughout the year, but over July 4, 2008, a three night stay with two double beds was around $280 per night. It's very crowded in Big Bear for the Fourth, so it's nice to have the privacy of a private beach on the lake with the fireworks right in front of you. And you can sit on your balcony and watch your children play on the beach just feet away. The rooms are rustic and clean.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed August 11, 2008

Upon arrival we went to check in the staff seemed ok asked for the typical information. We received our room keys and headed upstairs to our room. As we opened the door first thing was the funny smell next the carpet was very dirty overall the room was sub par to a bad motel six. We sat there for a moment and decided we could not stay in that room. Checked out with some grief.... for the price of the room would have expected a lot more!! Went to find another hotel all booked drove home won't be heading up there anytime soon!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gn69
Reviewed April 29, 2008

We (a family of 3) stayed 2 nights (fri & sat) at the Marina Resort. I found an excellent price of $69.50 per night for a 2 Queen room, which was the April 50% off special on their website. The hotel is right on the lake, which was GREAT. They have a boat dock, that worked out well for the pontoon boat that we rented form Pleasure Point Marina. Which by the way, is a good place to rent pontoons. That was our second time. Our room was nice and clean. The beds were comfortable. The first night was quiet, I guess not too many guests. But, that next morning we could hear every little noise around us, even the maid vacuuming upstairs. We found out just how thin the wall are. The second morning we woke up to cigarette smell. There are small vents by the front door, so if the breeze is right and someone is smoking outside it come in. My last complaint: we were charged $10 for internet use. We were never told there would be a charge for internet, even after I had discussed with Steve at check in that I didn't need the $5 ethernet cord that he was going to let me use. He said he would take it off. I thought he was charging me $5 to use the cord, but aparently it was for the service...who knew. That's funny because Jimmy also at check out told me it would be taken off..."I PROMISE". After I returned home and made 2 phone calls was I told it was for the service.
So some good some bad. I'll only stay again if I find another great price of $69.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Hi I am writting to you to share my view of our stay 4/26/08. I went through Hotel.com and reviewed your list of amenities and your description of your resort. To start the directions to your resort on your web page is wrong. Your web page states #8 Slight left at CA-18 this put me on the other side of the lake. I brought this to the attention of the gentleman who checked us in. He stated he would look in to it. Now my review. The description states lakefront settings,
700ft. beach, boat docks, observation deck, heated jacuzzi, seasonally heated pool. Barbecues, picnic tables, vollyball and table tennis. This all sounded very good. Then I read a nine hole putting green and billards. With us having a 9yr. son and my wife being a avide pool player, you hooked me into making a reservation. I had also requested a early check in. We drove from the San Diego area. When we arrived at 1pm our requested time, the room was not ready. We walked down to the lake to relaxe from our drive. The office person yelled down at us asking if we were staying at the resort. I stated yes. There is no nine hole putting green, there are no billards. The two items that I read on your web description. It was these two items that hooked me. We went to our room. The carpet in the room looked like it had not been cleaned in months. The carpet on staines and dirt in it,. The bathroom had dirt under the sink and around the toilet. You had to hold the handle to the toilet down for it to flush. The staff were not rude. But they were not very friendly either. Maybe they were just having a bad day. The condition the room was for the price of 150.00a night was bad. I have seen motel 6 with a cleaner room. We were looking forward to our stay with you. This was our first visit to Big Bear. The condition of the room. The false amenities description. All played a part in our weekend not being what we had hoped for. But with this being said. The positive side was that the jacuzzi was very hot and nice. You do have a few nice spots on the lake to just kick back and relaxe. I feel the continental breakfast could have alittle fruit, bread, toaster ect. We were able to save the weekend by enjoying the surrrounding entertainment. I feel for the same room price. We may have being able to stay at another resort in the same area, that was true to thier web description and had cleaner rooms. Thank you for giving me the space to voice my unhappiness with our stay at you resort. Bill Baldridge.

Stayed: April 2008
3  Thank billybobtrooper
Reviewed March 29, 2008

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank melscott4922
Reviewed March 22, 2008

The Marina Hotel is located next to Big Bear Lake; about 1 mile from the Snow Summit Ski resort. Though I originally wanted a cabin, this hotel had a great location across from the Big Bear Village shops. My spouse doesn't ski and needed something to do while my daughter and I skied.

After looking at its website, I emailed the hotel for rates (the rates vary based upon the day of the week and the time of the year). I also looked up the prices on Travelocity and AAA. I chose their "Queen Room". These rooms are located at a lower level and open up to a view of Big Bear Lake. It is also across from the outdoor pool and jacuzzi.

The room rate quoted was $139/night by the hotel, and $159 for AAA. For the heck of it, I called the hotel and asked if they had a AAA discount - they did. I got the room for $130/night.

The room has 2 queen beds; a small fridge; a coffee pot; a DVD player; and a 35" Vizio HD LCD TV mounted on the wall. The attendant told me the TV was new, as were the beds - constructed of huge logs. There is also free Internet by using my own RJ-45 cable. The motif of the room is a log cabin - ceiling is pine planks, as are the cabinets in the bathroom. The staff is friendly and helpful.

In the mornings, they provide coffee, orange juice, and packaged pastry.

The downside of the room - there is a door adjoining the room next door. The sound isolation isn't too good. You can also hear people walking around in the room above. It wasn't too bad, as the guests are very considerate late at night.

I would recommend this hotel to friends who want a location near the Village and next to the Lake. Note - there are much cheaper places elsewhere.

The skiing was good for the beginning Spring.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family