“Big Bear's Best? Yeah, probably...”
Review of Marina Resort

Marina Resort
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Pasadena, California
“Big Bear's Best? Yeah, probably...”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

After getting into our room, my husband and I went right back out and walked around the Big Bear Lake Village. It had a 90's time capsule feel to it, and it gave us a general idea of the layout, and style of the place. When we walked back into our room, he turned to me and said, incredulously, "I think this IS the best place in town!" Yes, that sounds snooty, but hear me out.

Pros: Views, proximity to the village (1/2 block away= no parking headache), big bed, nice sheets, (gas) fireplace, A/C, pool/hot tub, in-room spa tub, patios/balconies with seating area, horseshoes/volleyball/ping pong on site, friendly staff, (top floor) rooms were quiet at night, beach towels provided, BBQ pits, wedding and reception venues (see lobby bathroom note below), near a marina with boat tours and kayak rentals.
Cons: Bed and pillows are lumpy, the carpet is stained, the shower head is only 5 feet high, nowhere to hang hand towels in bathroom, all other towels hung IN the shower stall(what?), uncomfortable chairs in room, general disrepair of room (A/C, screen door, TV on the fritz, bathroom door handle stuck -seriously, my husband and I each got stuck in the bathroom a few times!), the in=room spa tubs are dingy and uninviting, the pool is small (not great for laps), lots of noise from outside (kids playing, boats, music from parties) during the day.

Important to note: The top floor rooms have no elevator, so you have to lug your stuff up a flight of stairs (not handicap accessible). Also, there is no bathroom available in the lobby, they will direct you outside to a port-o-potty (which they called an "executive restroom", kind of funny) definitely go in the room BEFORE you check out! A maintenance man told us that they were about to start renovations this fall (after he apologized for the fact that he could not fix our A/C unit, thankfully, it cooled down at night, and they gave us a small fan.) so soon "everything will be brand new!"
To sum it up, for the price we paid, it was pretty underwhelming, however, compared to the other places we saw, it was clearly the nicest. The view of the lake was nice, and being on the top floor was nice, but we were there on a busy weekend, and there were a ton of kids running around playing on the hotel grounds, which is totally appropriate, just not really awesome if you are trying to have a romantic weekend. Honeymooners/anniversary celebrators, I suggest you look into a B&B, of which there seem to be many. Families, get downstairs rooms, (300's), they are bigger suit-style rooms, and they open onto patios where you can watch your kids run around the grounds. Also, though the staff was very friendly, they were not very helpful in giving us info about the surrounding area. We are new to Big Bear, and we missed out on things to do until we went to the visitor center in the village.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SionnanH
MarinaBBL, Guest Relations Manager at Marina Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for saying we were the probably the nicest place in Big Bear. As you mentioned in your post, we are always trying to make improvements to the property. We hope you will come back and see them when we are done.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I would just like to say that I hope my daughter or son will consider this beautiful location for their wedding, I was a so impressed with everything as a guest of the wedding. iIf you would like a outdoor wedding in Big Bear I would totally consider this location! :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MarinaBBL, Guest Relations Manager at Marina Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
We are so glad you had a nice time. The Marina Resort is a unique venue. Hopefully, your family will be back soon with their own special day.
California
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed here with two other families and had a nice stay. We enjoyed the BBQ area and made a wonderful dinner our first night. Our friends were in 301 and had a full kitchen so we were able to cook a great meal. The ping pong, volleyball and horseshoe area were great and kept the teenagers and adults entertained. We stayed in a king room on the top floor and had a great view of the lake. Room was comfortable but the bathroom shower was a challenge if you are tall. The staff when we tried to checked in did not seem thrilled to be at work and I felt I was bothering the women and our room was not ready. When we came back to check in later the gentlemen was nicer but again not the most friendly person. The staff in the morning was much nicer and seemed happy to be at work. Overall a nice stay and a great location for the Marina and Village. We would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
MarinaBBL, Guest Relations Manager at Marina Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for the four star review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. We will work harder next time to make it five stars for you.
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My stay wasn't perfect but I give it four stars because no place is perfect and when all was said and done management made it right. I arrived at 3 o'clock check in time for for a 4 o'clock wedding and was told the room wasn't ready. Krystal at the front desk was less than understanding about my frustration and gave me a "sucks for you" attitude. I was told to come back in 20 minutes and when I asked about getting changes I was pointed to the porta johns. Luckily I knew someone who was already staying at the resort that let us get ready in their room. On our way to the ceremony my husband tried to check in again ~3:45, room still isn't ready. He attempted a third time between the ceremony and the reception and again not ready. On the fourth attempted at 745 we finally got the keys to a room. My husband comes back and says he thinks the room doesn't have A/C (this man sweating just standing up). Our friends assume him that it has A/C and that he must have overlooked it. I do a quick search of their website and my e-mail reservation to ensure the room comes with A/C and yep it states A/C for the room we booked. We arrive at the room after 11 and can not locate any A/C. I call the front desk and sure enough we have the ONLY room in the hotel without it. The person at the front desk apologizes and states that someone should have informed us when we checked in and offered us a fan. I asked the managers name and was told he'd be there in the morning and the employee actually spoke very highly of him which I took as a plus. How many worker bees actual have something nice to say about their boss? In the morning I speak with Robert Manning who is kind and understanding. He states its a small business and they are very busy and asks me what I would like as far as compensation. We work it out and he tells Krystal to refund me. Oh Krystal who has no business working in customer service states she can't and even after someone assures her she can she still won't, another employee comes over to help thankfully because this girl was not going to do what her manager just instructor her to. My friends asked her the day before if she knew of any hiking in the area and her response "hiking isn't my thing". Lovely.

The room minus the A/C was wonderful, beautiful rustic furniture, a comfy bed, fridge/microwave. The room did have a ceiling fan that went at warp speed and left us with some serious chapped lips in the am but it was a better then sweating to death. I was informed that the A/C can't be put in this room due to structural issues and I'm guessing most of the year it isn't needed. The view of the water was great and we had a sitting area outside. It looked as though a lot of people were staying at this place for long periods of time.

I read a lot of the negative reviews after the A/C issue and I think the key is talking to the right people. I encountered three worker during my visit, 2 were great and 1 was no but was enough to leave a slight bad taste in mouth. Trying to be even a little understanding at check in would have gone a long way.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sdblue
MarinaBBL, Guest Relations Manager at Marina Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
We are so sorry to hear about your recent frustrations during your stay. Please know these issues have been addressed and we thank you for bringing them to our attention.
Northern California
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Had a King room on the top floor (only one flight up from the parking lot). The view was superb and the room was lovely. Nice to have A/C and a fireplace...as well as refrigerator in the room. A/C does rattle a bit, but it didn't bother us. Close to everything.

Room Tip: King rooms are all on the top floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for the 5 stars. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay!
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We have just spent two glorious nights at this small resort which we stumbled upon by chance.

Right on Big Bear Lake with great recreational facilities, private beach, volley ball net, horse shoes, hot tub, pool and two barbecue areas.

Yes the cabins are small, we had two queen beds, but they were very clean and had everything you need for a short stay.

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

All in all a great resort ( drove round many of the others rated higher in this area and this is definitely the best).

Fantastic

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are great with kids they can play at the beach/ park - you can sit at your room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AndymcAm2
Thank you for your positive review. We are so glad you found us. We hope you come back soon!
Culver City, California
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We lucked into a room on the top floor the night of July 4. The room was better than average, with plush bedding and a decent TV (but no HBO). My chief complaint would be the rattling air conditioner, and eventually I just shut it off and opened the sliding door (although then there were people on the lawn talking until 1 AM). The hotel has a private beach from which we watched the fireworks, and a decent pool and hot tub. I felt sorry for the 80,000 day trippers who were trying to get off the mountain that night down a two lane road - good luck!

One strange thing is the highly variable pricing. We'd been told a second night would cost $300, so we packed up and were checking out when the front desk person said the room was now $149! I also didn't believe her when she said the hotel sells out for July 4 every year shortly after the previous July 4, it sounded like a sales pitch. After all, we got a last minute room.

Room Tip: Get a top floor, otherwise you're looking at people's picnic tents.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank doughelo
We are glad you were able to book a room with us during one of our busiest times. People do often leave right after the fireworks show and traffic can be crazy. We hope to see you next year!