“Fabulous French Country Cuisine”
Review of Madlon's - CLOSED

Madlon's
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Small restaurant, quaint, cozy, and FABULOUS food, excellent service. Great wine selection. A bit pricey, but well worth it.

1  Thank Sebastian143

Reviewed July 7, 2013

When we arrived at madlons the doors had just opened up for the evening and of course there was no one in the restaurant so we were quite surprised when the maître d' insisted on knowing whether we had reservations or not. Things kind of went downhill from there.

The menu is very limited and the prices were through the sky. The idea of spending $60 for a T-bone steak was ridiculous. All in all it was a pretty pretentious experience. Having done it once there certainly is no need to waste money doing it again.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

My dining companion was excited to have found " a real French restaurant" in Big Bear City.
We hit it mid Saturday evening and it was quiet - maybe 5 or 6 tables taken.
When we entered the sole server was attending to a table but we were ignored for an appreciable time till she was free. OK, I will live with that - she can only do one thing at a time but the entry lobby was dark, unlit and I'm sure others would walk away at the lack of attention.

We got seated and my companion ordered a bottle of Beaujolais. The first two he requested from the list were not available and we eventually settled for a Fleurie which was very good. As we had eaten appetizers elsewhere we each ordered an entree. In the hiatus, during which we were served two different amuse bouche, we conversed with a couple seated nearby who spoke well of the desserts and who were appreciative regulars. The entrees we ordered were delivered and proved to be excellent - the half rack of lamb particularly so.

We had no issue with the timing -our whole experience at Madlon's was spread over 2 hours - as we hate the alternative of rushing a diner.
We ordered a trial dessert.
When I order crêpes in a French restaurant I expect them to be freshly cooked but this had come straight from the fridge with a warm sauce and chopped fruit poured over it.
It was left only partly eaten.

By this stage we were the only diners left and as my dining companion got into a discussion with the server it became clear that she and the chef (whom we thought might have put in an appearance, per French tradition) - are running the whole place on their own. In fact after we had paid she disappeared and despite our calling out a "good night" that was the last we saw of her.

My companion was much less inclined than me to see the failings. And it's a pity that they are clearly undercapitalized to the extent where they really desparately need one more person front of house. According to the server (who was very pleasant if obviously stressed) they do not read reviews.
Ah well, their choice but my prognosis for Madlon's is not good. Shame really when it could be excellent.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We came here because the outside of the restaurant looked so interesting and found a treasure! A fine dining French restaurant where owner/chefs, Rob & Chelsie Orr prepare and serve your meal. They are Le Cordon Bleu trained chefs and prepare everything from scratch. I was not very hungry when we went there and just had a salad; however, it was very delicious. Will definitely go back.

1  Thank SoCalFoodTours
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Great food, but don't come here if your in a hurry. It takes about 45 minutes. I highly reccomend S'mores pancakes or waffles.