“Disappointed...”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My husband and I went for Sunday breakfast. The place was relatively small, but quaint. The older gentleman who I assume was the owner seemed nice enough during few interactions we had with him. It took awhile for the food to come considering there were only 2 other tables seated but one had not even placed their order yet. As for taste, it strictly okay...not good, not terrible. Although, for the price, I expected more. I ordered the vegetarian crepe which came with hash browns on the side. I was not impressed at all. I love French food and particularly crepes, but this place left me wishing we had just gone to Grizzly Manor Cafe instead, where it is less gourmet but definitely a good and satisfying meal. Maybe I just ordered the wrong thing, because the waffles that they served other people looked much better than the crepes I had. My husband had the breakfast combination and he said it was just average as well. As for the server, after taking our order, she came to check on us just once and then disappeared. We finished our meal and was waiting for a solid 20 mins before she reappeared out of the kitchen. However, our "server" was wearing the chef's coat, so I wondered if she was doing double duty, which would explain why she took forever to reemerge. If so, I can cut her some slack but the other server who had only one table, didn't bother helping out and asking us if we needed anything after seeing us looking bored and searching for our server. I can totally relate to previous reviews mentioning the poor service. Overall, I was rather disappointed because I only saw the 4 star rating it had on Yelp and TripAdvisor. Now I realize I should have read the individual reviews more carefully. It is unlikely we will return again even though the waffles did look good. Our time and money is precious so why waste it on another bad bothersome experience?

There are newer reviews for Madlon's

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Didn't get to enjoy the food. The atmosphere was beautiful. The staff was rude. Remember to make ur res first. Woman on the phone was uninformative. Atmosphere was great and I loved the no cell phones answered inside sign.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I went up the weekend prior to Memorial Day weekend and I'm very surprised by the most recent "bad review" right before ours. We asked plenty of friends to recommend places to eat, but my own research led me to Madlon's and the great "early bird" special as well as the incredible "brunch menu" with all those amazing flavors of pancakes/waffles and crepes begged for it to be tried. The early bird special was an AMAZING bargain if you can get there early enough. My steak was not thick, but a quality cut of beef and prepared EXACTLY as I asked it to be from the temperature to doing it "pittsburgh style" We were the only ones there for "early bird", and it was nice to have the place to ourselves. The creme brulee for dessert was also wonderful and prepared using real vanilla beans.

We went back for brunch before we went home and let me say that this was just wonderful. The only disappointment was that they didn't have a crab shipment that weekend and had to forego the crab benedict, but the owner was a real gentleman about it and gave us special attention throughout the meal. If you never tried chocoloate pancake batter before, try this one. I have had it in some great places before, but these were my favorite. My girlfriend had the pickle and chipotle ranch waffles which sound disgusting. But, it was a PLEASANT surprise to her and it became one of her favs.

We will go back every time we visit Big Bear and I recommend everyone to try it.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

We have tried Madlon’s twice. The food is passable (omelets can be greasy) but far overpriced. The service was bad on one visit and terrible on the other and on that trip we left before our food arrived at 50 minutes waiting. We were generally ignored in a restaurant that was not even full on both visits. During the 50 minutes of our recent the waitress said she’d check on our food and we never saw her again. 20 minutes later, a somewhat creepy older guy also went to check, he didn’t come back! We started to eat snacks we had with us! Later when the old guy was clearing tables I flagged him down and he ruddily told me I would have to just wait. It was then we got up and left. The waitress chased us into the parking lot demanding we pay for a milk that was never touched (and had to have been very warm as it sat during our wait) because the meal for with it was to be paired never arrived. Needless to say this is a place to be avoided at all cost. There are plenty of other places to eat in the area.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Brunch was very nice they had one of the largest selections of crapes i think i have ever seen i would go back again