“Worked for us”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Bear City
Inn Der Bach Resort
Los Angeles, California
“Worked for us”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

My husband and I spent a long weekend in Big Bear and stayed at the Inn Der Bach. Our chalet was clean and warm...perfect for resting in between days of skiing. While the grounds could use a makeover, if you can get a good deal to stay here... I would go for it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Orange, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

We had a great time. Big bear is calm and relaxing place. Leave LA behind! Timothy was great and if we needed anything all we had to do was ask. I was able to get Wi-Fi from my cabin Chalet #9. It's a Cabin not a 5 star hotel; the room had cable, a toaster, microwave and a fireplace. We played outside, it was a beautiful place. We'll be going back again.

Don’t be fooled by the bad reviews. Some people are just way to spoiled and can’t enjoy the simple things in life. :)

Room Tip: Take more blankets if you don't like having the heater on all night long.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ELo530
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

My family and I went to the Inn Der Bach recently for the Thanksgiving Weekend. We had a wonderful time. We stayed in Chalet #12 which is the upstairs rental. We had such a nice stay. This property is a quaint out of the way place and only has 12 units (if I counted right) plus a lodge with rooms and a common living room/diningroom area. We stayed in the lodge the last time we visited in the summer and it was very relaxing. This time we stayed in one of the chalet. It has 2 bedrooms and one bathroom with a livingroom diningroom and kitchen. It was so nice to wake up and start a fire in the fireplace ...though the cabin was toasty warm with the furnace! It had a couple of TV with cable.
We have two daughters who are so busy between jobs and college that it is hard to get away as a family. This was just what we needed! It is a nice quiet place and is more like renting a cabin than a hotel. My husband stood outside for an hour just looking at all the stars (we see maybe 20 stars in L.A.). It is on the outskirt of Big Bear City but still close enough to Big Bear Village to be able to go shopping and such. Mostly we came to just relax and get away from the big city noise and craziness! We hated to leave! If you are looking for a updated Spa type place next to the slopes than this is not the place for you..but if you are looking for a nice, quiet rustic place with a scadanavian feel than you will really like the Inn Der Bach. We come up to Big Bear to get away from all the "electronic" stuff and bring just the minimal (cell phones, Ipods..) so no Wi Fi is good for us. Otherwise we would be doing work instead of enjoying the moment. The moments go by too fast to be stuck inside four walls staring at a screen! Haven't been there in the winter but hoping we can go in Jan or Feb. Big Bear is close enough to LA that it doesn't take you long to get there but far enough away that you feel like you are no longer near the city!

Room Tip: Make sure you make reservations far enough in advance because it seems to book pretty quickly. Also...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank fgilek
Los Angeles, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

First of all, I want to mention that my boyfriend and I had a great time in Big Bear during our visit. We're both not fussy and really good about turning lemons into lemonade. That said, we would never stay at the Inn Der Bach again unless some serious (and truly minor, which is what makes it so sad and frustrating) changes are made.

We had bought a Living Social voucher for a 2 night stay in a chalet there. I called about two months before the voucher was to expire and was told the only availability was THAT weekend (two days away) and the weekend before Halloween. The manager also said that there weren't any chalets available, and that all he had was a room in the main lodge, which costs less than what a chalet would (which is what I paid for). OK, fair enough- I could've called sooner to make my reservation I guess. Unfortunately, he was not willing to extend the offer past the expiration date as long as we booked our date before then. So we booked our room for that weekend.

I had read all the negative reviews for this place, and thought I was coming prepared- I brought my own towels, I brought toilet paper, etc etc.

The main lodge is basically a little house with six rooms with their own bathrooms, but a large shared living room and kitchen area. What the manager neglected to tell us when we booked was that the other occupants of the main lodge were three families traveling together, with a dozen small children. Not exactly ideal for a romantic weekend away. What's even more messed up is that the manager had told these families that they would have the whole main lodge to themselves, so they wouldn't have to worry about disturbing other guests with their kids running around all over the place. So we show up, and they're understandably upset that they have all these kids running around and there's a couple having to share a small space with them all. I would be too; I wouldn't want other people to be disturbed by my kids making noise all weekend either. Luckily, the parents were all really cool and we got along great! We made it work, despite the shadiness of the manager's booking of the main lodge.

None of this so far would make me give a place one star on Yelp, so here are the reasons why I gave it the rating I did:
1. Someone's used bar of soap was in our shower.
2. The shampoo and conditioner bottles were half empty.
3. There was a thick layer of dust on the counter of the dresser.
4. I'm not sure if our bed linens were changed since the last guest because I found a hair that was definitely not mine or my boyfriend's.
5. According to the families that had gotten to the main lodge before us, the shared kitchen area was a disgusting mess when they got there (and it wasn't much better after it was cleaned).

And the worst part: During our entire stay, we had NO DOORKNOB on our door! When we checked in, the manager was holding our doorknob in his hand, said it was broken and that he would replace the next morning. That never happened. We had to stick a sock in the hole on the door where the doorknob would go to keep out light and for privacy, and had to jimmy-rig the door to get in and out each time.

Yuck.

In addition, there's no wi-fi, which you would expect at any hotel/motel/etc. these days.

This property isn't horrible. It's the way it's maintained and run. So much potential, as has been mentioned here before, but for now, until they can clean bathrooms properly and make sure doors have doorknobs, approach this place with caution (especially for what they're charging!). These things make the difference between a one-star "this place is awful" review and a three-star "this place is alright" review.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Danny H
Timothy682, Timothy, General Manager at Inn Der Bach Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Danny,

I was truly sorry to read your review from 2011. I apologize on behalf of Inn Der Bach if this was your experience staying at Inn Der Bach.
Inn Der Bach has been under new management for almost a year. We value a clean, well-maintained resort. It has been some time since you stayed here, I can assure you that we are acting on your feedback and doing what we can to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Is there anything else we could do to go from a one-star "this place is awful" to a five-star "this place is amazing"? We would love for you to give Inn Der Bach another chance. Please contact us at (909) 585-3702, if you think you could try us again. We take your feedback seriously, and hope to hear more from you! Thanks for sharing and take care.

Best regards,

Timothy, General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Big Bear City hotels

Huntington Beach, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

I agree with Pleasantly Surprised (a previous review) wholeheartedly. We found the whole experience to be enjoyable. The chalet is comfortable, the rooms large, clean, microwave, coffee pot and the location (in Big Bear City, not Big Bear Lake) was, for us, desirable. The Chalet is located on a large parcel of land with views of the valley, etc. We were there to 'get away' from crowds versus being in the thick of things. We were there to hike and this location afforded us that opportunity. In the mornings, we took our coffee and sat out on the lawn, enjoying the weather.

As for the review regarding Tim, "Alert to Potential Guests and Inn Der Bach Owner", I am extremely confused as to the review. We found him to be VERY ACCOMMODATING, making every attempt to respond to our needs. We found our conversations with him to be enjoyable and his suggestions to be good ones. As mentioned, Tim is attempting to upgrade the premises... .including a jacuzzi in the future. Frankly, Tim 'made' our trip!

We plan to return in a few weeks because of our satisfaction with our first experience.

I rated it an average because it is an older hotel (as are many in Big Bear vacinity). Though it is a chalet, it has a 'cabin flavor' to it, which was nice when you are in the mountains! If you go there desiring to experience the area and enjoy the scenery, you will not come away disappointed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Mgmt2222
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

I just called to make reservations and the phone was answered by Timothy in the most unprofessional manner. When I questioned whether I had reached the correct establishment he responded with, "Didn't you hear the recording at the beginning of your call?!", in the most sarcastic tone. He proceeded to tell me the days I wanted were booked, I told him I would not be able to make the reservation then and he hung up on me! Hung up on me! I called back requesting to speak to a manager and he informed me he WAS the manager. Now I have a business myself and could not believe he was in charge...when I told him I did not appreciate the way he talked to me or the fact that he hung up on me, he began to argue with me. I then asked for the owners name, he would not give it. I told him he could give me the owners name or I would find it myself. He told me to find it myself and hung up on me for a second time! Beware potential guest, this is who is in charge. To the owner; this is who you have in charge!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank julie h
Timothy682, Timothy, General Manager at Inn Der Bach Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Hi Julie,

While it's been some time, I want to say that I am sorry if we gave you the wrong impression over the phone. This wasn't our intent and clearly there was a miscommunication. Please trust that we've learned from this experience and will do what we can to make sure it doesn't happen again.

That said, I sincerely hope you'll give us another chance. We work hard to provide our guests with the best possible experience, and I'd hate for this one phone call to ruin your impression of us. Let us show you why we've become a favorite!

Take care,

Timothy, General Manager
Murrieta, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

I must admit, that because of some of the earlier negative reviews, we were a bit concerned before we arrived at Inn Der Bach. Once we got there we found a friendly and attentive staff. Tim and his son are working feverishly to improve what was basically a neglected resort. Yes, the rooms are a bit dated and no, they don't have phones or wi-fi, but they have everything else you would need. If you really want to "get away", do you need phones or wi-fi??? Is Inn Der Bach a five star resort? No, - this is not the Hilton, it's a chalet in the country. This was a Screamin Daily Deal at a very good price. Sometimes I think that people's expectations are just too high. If you want pampering with spas, massages, pools, workout rooms, gourmet dining etc. there are many other options in the Big Bear area that can provide these services for a price. But if you want a comfortable room at a fair price away from the bustle of the city, Inn Der Bach will meet your needs. It's far enough off the main drag in Big Bear that it is very quiet, yet if you want to go into town to eat, do some sightseeing etc., everything is within a 10-15 minute drive. The only negatives I have is that the locksets on the doors in all of the chalets need to be changed out ASAP. Some are broken and we felt that security was not all it could be. Tim told us that this issue is being addressed. It would also be a good idea to add mini-refrigerators to all the chalets. All in all a good experience, and for the money it's hard to beat.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Cozy Hollow Lodge
Cozy Hollow Lodge
#2 of 19 in Big Bear Region
The Lodge at Big Bear Lake, a Holiday Inn Resort

Been to Inn Der Bach Resort? Share your experiences!