“70's style in a convenient Beverly Hills location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of SIXTY Beverly Hills

SIXTY Beverly Hills
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
San Francisco
“70's style in a convenient Beverly Hills location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

Stayed at this hotel last year for a week, posted a review, but it never showed up. No sure why, but now that I've found some down time, I highly recommend it for tourists, though not necessarily for work, which is what I was doing. The lobby and bars are dark and intimate and posh. The rooms are done in a retro 70's style, with large platform beds, with strips of blue-tinted mirror on the ceiling, leather and chrome furniture that is much more for style than comfort, and big acrylic ball lights. Black sheers on the sliding glass door to the balcony make a beautiful, muted backdrop of BH at night, and there are, of course, gorgeous marble bathrooms. This is a Thompson property after all. But my favorite thing about the room? Hardwood floors! In an L.A. hotel! Stained dark and in a herringbone pattern. A little scratched from all that rolling luggage, but still really appreciated.

The service was excellent from start to finish, with unexpected extras like sake and wasabi peas to greet me, and milk and cookies the night before I left. My only gripe was that the beds don't have top sheets. The maid changes the duvet cover every day, so you either have to sleep with a down comforter every night, or nothing. Strange. Also, the desk chair, made of chrome with a cowhide seat was really not comfortable, though it sure looked sharp, but after hours at the computer my lower back longed for something more practical.

All the food ordered from room service was also quite good. Unfortunately, the pool was being repaired during my visit so I can't comment on it.

Don't know how older, more conservative travelers will feel about the 70's
"louche" style of the place, with its long, dark hallways, and I wouldn't recognize it for business travelers who have to work in the room, but I think others will be quite happy with the style and service here, but it doesn't come cheap.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank stchris59

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Turkish first
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2009

Thompson, Beverly Hills is a wonderful experience from Valet to fabulous dining. The hotel is in a great location - 10 minutes from Century City Business District, 20 minutes from downtown LA, and very close to Beverly Hills designer shopping. Thompson is comfortable, relaxing, and incredible roof-top city views, I was greeted with a smile from the valet to the doorman. They offer internet access, excellent guest services, and a very hip, unique style.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Platinum_9
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

I met some friends who were staying at the Beverly Wilshire, and had heard that the rooftop bar was the hippest place in Beverly Hills, and had tried to get in earlier in the week. They were very pleased to be able to get in with me, and we all loved my room with the leather, the high end AV and all the rest of the glamourous accoutrements.

Can't wait for my next visit.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank jimbob54
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

Great stay and wonderful place to sleep of your jet lag after a flight from London.
Was a perfect retreat when doing business. Also restaurant served amazing food. The other good thing was it was walking distance to other restaurants shops etc. So for a Londoner who doesn't want to hire a car it was perfect to get out and about.

Good times.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank mresquire
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2009

What a dump. I stayed at this place for business hoping to switch it up from the Regency Plaza in Century City near by. I found the staff at the front desk to be overly rude and have an attitude --for no reason. This is LA *not* NYC. I purchased on my corporate website so didn't have any great priceline deal. Upon arrival I was placed in a room on the 5th floor toward the front of the hotel. This was the noisest place I've ever been in. When I called to inquire if there was a quieter room, despite being the only person at the hotel, I was told only 1 other room, a bigger suite, was available. It was on the 7th floor and I was told that I would have to pay $25 more a night. It sounded so cheesy, like a forced rental car upgrade or bait and switch. I initially opposed but opted for it when I realized I wouldn't be able to sleep as the room sounded as though it had no walls or doors. Next room was quiter but exactly the same size. I sent my drycleaning out one day & when I came back late that evening I had to check on it. I had no message or note mentioning it was done. I nearly forgot all about it. Most hotels just have clothes hanging in closets. I've never had to call around to check up on it. The heating/ cooling system can only do one at a time. You must call the engineer to go back & forth between the two systems which involves him unscrewing the ceiling and flipping a switch back & forth. I stayed for a week and wouldn't stay again - even if I bid on priceline and my bid was accepted. This place is over priced, has attitude, is ridiculously noisy and is a joke of a hotel. I've stayed at the Roosevelt in the past, a sister property. I really enjoyed my stay there. I can't even believe the two places are related.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2009

For the 1st time in my life I used Priceline.com and Thompson accepted my bid of $100. Then I came to TripAdvisor to check out the reviews and I became very, very, very worried.

Well, I didn't have to worry because fortunately I didn't experience any of the nasty stuff outlined in previous reviews.

We checked in easily and efficiently. I mentioned that we had a lot of luggage so I didn't want a small room and the team member asked if I wanted to upgrade to a Crescent Suite Queen, it was double the size and the upgrade only cost $50 extra per night. And the suite retails for $400 (includes tax) per night so I was thrilled with my bargain.

The suite has two separate rooms (app 2 x 220 sq ft; with bed and full bathroom in one; and living room (with Queen pullout couch) and full bathroom in the other). There were flat screen TVs in both rooms.

Bed and pillows were SUPER comfy. And the curtains basically black out the room which makes for wonderful sleeping.

I didn't partake in the mini-bar, but all the goods looked amazing.

It was convenient that there was an iPod dock to not only play, but recharge my phone.

We also had a balcony off each room which was nice.

I loved the modern, marble bathrooms and the shower was large and the water pressure amazing. There were over-sized robes available for use. They had lovely C O Bigelow lavender and peppermint shampoo and conditioner available, there is also a hairdryer in each bathroom.

One of the main concerns I had when reading other reviews was the noise from other rooms. Well I have to say, I heard very little. A child crying in the hallway and a few people talking but apart from that it was really peaceful. We were even near the elevator in room 715 so you would think we would have heard people getting in and out of the lift - but nothing. It was like living in a quiet apartment block - some noise is expected but it was minimal and non-intrusive.

I also found the team very friendly and efficient. They're gorgeous and pleasant.

We had a car and the valet was super efficient and friendly and we found it easy to get in and out of the hotel. No car required if you want to cruise around Beverly Hills, just step out the door and walk. Rodeo Drive is only a couple of blocks away and world famous Spagos is only a few blocks also.

There were complimentary papers at the front desk and a laptop with Internet access - I didn't use it, but I assume it was for guests.

The pool area is gorgeous and the gym has great equipment and is highly functional.

I didn't drink or eat at the Thompson but both areas looked nice.

I really liked the decor of the hotel, sure the halls are a little dark, but that's ambiance people! If you want to read in your room in the evening, the lighting is a little challenging, but that is probably the only improvement I can suggest to the hotel.

I would definitely return!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

I NEVER do Priceline. I really like to know where I am staying, like to see the rooms, location, read reviews, etc. For whatever reason, I decided I would be daring and bid on a 4 star hotel in Beverly Hills. Note, I had done research of the hotels and had crossed one off of my list because of the poor reviews - Thompson Beverly Hills. I got a screaming deal - $112 a night for a 4 star and I cannot tell you how disappointed I was when I got the confirmation and it was this hotel - Thompson Beverly Hills. I almost cried. I read the reviews again and was terrified of this place. Mirrors on the ceiling and black walls???? Are you kidding me??? This was so not my kind of place.

We arrived and the staff was wonderful. They were warm and welcoming and no one had attitude at all. The only parking is valet at $30 a night, which is somewhat annoying, but we are in Beverly Hills, afterall. Checking in was easy and the bellhop had us in our room in just a matter of minutes. Yes, the hallways are black lacquer (of some sort) walls. The room is small and very modern. The decoration is not my style at all, but not as scary as it seemed from the other reviews. The mirror on the ceiling was not really a mirror - you can see from the pictures on the hotel website what they are like. The bathroom is small, but the shower was large and had great water pressure. I did not find the bed that comfortable, but I was able to sleep. I did like the fact that there is a sliding glass door out onto a very small balcony. But it was nice to actually be able to open the door and step out into the beautiful sunshine.

The tv did not have a lot of stations from which to choose, but if you are traveling for fun, you should not need to watch too much tv. it was odd that there was not an iron or ironing board in the room - you had to call the front desk to have it delivered (ching - another tip!). Same thing with the ice.

The walls are thin and you could hear people when they were in the hallway, but we did not experience the partying that other guests did. In fact, we did not see too many young people there. It was a mix of 24 years old and older up to people in their 60's or so.

Getting in and out of the driveway can be annoying as you cannot turn left into it because of a center island. Everytime we came in and out of the lobby, we were greeted with a smile fand hello rom the staff.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. Really, this is not my kind of hotel (modern, etc.), but it was not a horrible experience. If I was told that I had to stay here again and had no other choice, I would be ok with it. If I were to do Priceline and get another great deal at this hotel, I would not mind it. However, if I were choosing between this hotel and another one at the same price point, I may choose the other because of the decor, etc.

Don't be afraid of it. :)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
The Beverly Hilton
#7 of 15 in Beverly Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,362 reviews
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#4 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Hotel Beverly Terrace
Hotel Beverly Terrace
#6 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Central L.A
Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills

Been to SIXTY Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!