“Good Boutique Option in Beverly Hills”

SIXTY Beverly Hills
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This hotel is ideally located near the heart of Beverly Hills. Although it is on bustling Wilshire Boulevard, its motor and lobby entrance is discreetly located off the street. The staff is warm, welcoming and accommodating. The lobby, like the rest of the hotel, is compact but creates a relaxing and intimate vibe. The hotel's design is cool and hip without being over-the-top. For example, although the hallway walls and ceilings are clad in black laquer, it is well lit so you do not get the feeling that you are walking through some dark maze like you do in some other hip hotels. The rooms are spare without being spartan. Wood is prominently used--including bare hardwood floors. Bathrooms are small but have sufficient lighting and lots of marble and quartz tiles. The rooftop pool offers a relaxing respite. The gym is merely adequate. SIXTY Beverly Hills (formerly Thompson Beverly Hills) has evidently been open for a few years and is looking a little worn around the edges. Other than that, it is a solid Beverly Hills choice.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MK2000

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I've stayed at Sixty (formerly Thompson) properties in NYC and had a good experience, so I was looking forward to a stay at their Beverly Hills property. And on the surface, the place delivers: It's sleek, sexy, great rooftop pool, with a friendly downstairs staff and a good central BH location. But after that I was surprised at how the actual experience didn't live up to the look.

I got a great rate, so I was expecting the room to be cozy, which it was. That was no problem. But I was amazed at how much they sacrificed functionality for good looks. Pieces of the faucet broke off in my hands. The mirror wasn't no-fog. The sexy lighting in the room and bathroom was so incredibly dim I couldn't even tell what color my dress was or how it looked on me, and I was going to an event so those details were important. The lamp and the phone both didn't work. The elevator is very slow. And on and on. For the price I got, I would have felt I overpaid but hey, that's LA. If I had paid full price, I would have been pretty unhappy.

And speaking of full price -- we stopped by the rooftop bar late at night, which is, as you might expect, populated with a semi douchey clientele. Fine. But my guest ordered a fairly easy cocktail, which came out incorrect and undrinkable, and our waitress never came back after dropping it off to see how it worked out (and that it was untouched). When I went to pay, I saw I'd been charged an extra $4 for premium gin, which I hadn't asked for. I know that's par for the course at rooftop bars, but I would be extra specific with your order if you do go.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
SixtyBH, General Manager at SIXTY Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear happycamper519,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing to try out Sixty Beverly Hills. I am sorry to hear that we did not live up to your expectations, especially after you have tried our sister properties. I can assure you that we take your comments very seriously, and we will address your room and rooftop service complaints. We are also in the process of improving the lighting of our guestrooms based on guest feedback, so I hope that you give us another chance so that we can show you our new and improved property. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Best,
Dene Nui

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I hope that I will still be able to get a room at Sixty after you read this. I have stayed here many times over the last year and it is a 'best bet' for time in LA. The location is perfect and the staff is fabulous.
My last trip was while my mom was in the hospital and I never felt that I was alone going through this stressful time. From the bellmen/valets to the front desk I always had a warm welcome and genuine interest in how I was and how my mom was doing. It was always nice to be able to take a short walk in the residential neighborhood just behind the hotel (I once lived just three blocks away) to unwind, and then head up to my room. I enjoyed the view every night watching the lights of the city. What can I say about a mini bar that runs from Patron to a tumeric elixir-my kind of fridge!
I didn't make it up to the pool often but it was a great break in the late afternoon or a nice way to start my day. All of the staff at this hotel are great, and over a few weeks I was able to spend time with many of them. I was there as the hotel switched from a Thompson Hotel to Sixty and thankfully all of the staff remain...they are the heart of a very cool hotel.

Room Tip: Sunrise or sunset? pick your view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2014

A wonderful staycation for me. The pool is private and well kept with wonderful views (when not smoggy!) of century city, the hills, and even downtown.

It's a sleek private place to escape- the staff was always helpful and virtuous especially Cody Ray, a houseman/valet who was extra attentive.

We'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Ipanemasol,

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and our wonderful Cody Ray! I will be sure to pass on your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next staycation!

Best,
Dene Nui

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Next to a Ferrari garage close to Louis Vitton and all others big names this is really Beverly Hills.Nice rooftop terras with pool a good place to see and be seen. Room in my opinion a bit worne out service excellent,good value.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Had an excellent stay, and was so pleased with the location, service and amenities. Cool decor too and an excellent rooftop deck and bar. If you're heading to Los Angeles for business, pleasure or a little of both, I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Great Hotel, great location and the best staff! I wish I could remember names but the Food & Beverage Manager was top notch! He knew my name after first night and made me fell like a regular! Thank U!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#6 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to SIXTY Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!