“Nice getaway from the OC”

SIXTY Beverly Hills
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The Thompson Hotel came highly recommended and being that the Thompson Hollywood was sold out (thanks a lot Coldplay, how dare you play at the Hollywood Bowl during our visit) we opted for the next best choice, the Thompson Beverly Hills. I knew the popular boutique property would be nice, but once you step in the door it really hits. You’ve arrived, Beverly Hills style. Pulling into the drive, valet quickly opening my car door I notice right away the hotel is sleek with a cosmopolitan appeal, particularly for those travelers who want to enjoy a bit of the see-and-be-seen crowd. An outpost of cool, with staff members who look like models and a clientele that is not far behind.
With affordable room rates (well for Beverly Hills standards) it’s an easy way to buy into the jet set. With chocolate wood floors and contemporary slate gray and dark accented décor, the rooms look very masculine. They’re spacious and bright, with floor-to-ceiling windows; our room came with a great view of the Los Angeles skyline.
When the door of the elevator opened to our floor I was surprised, the hallway was dark mysterious and left you intrigued. What was my room going to look like? A dark man cave?
As we entered the room, I instantly started to check out the amenities, it had a large flat screen television, a decent sized kitchen and living area, a soft luxurious bed, amazing furnishings, and a nicely stocked mini-bar.
After whipping up a cocktail from the mini bar, we threw our suits on and headed up to check out the pool. It’s all about the rooftop. The pool deck like our room boasted spectacular views of downtown Los Angeles. The pool is surrounded by cabanas and lounges, which were already claimed by an array of seemingly airbrushed guests. It was lunchtime and we were starving so we ordered a few more cocktails, the Chopped Veggie Salad and the Short Rib Grilled Cheese. Both were above and beyond the average pool side menu offerings. Especially the grilled cheese you will definitely be craving this meal again later…think late night room service menu.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
SalesBH, General Manager at SIXTY Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear topaz309,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation of your stay. We appreciate your efforts. It sounds as though you had a wonderful weekend get away. Maybe the Hollywood Roosevelt will be available the next time you decide to head this way, but if not, please remember us. We would love to welcome you back.

There are newer reviews for SIXTY Beverly Hills

Reviewed March 16, 2013

What a joke! Boy have things changed here. You would think that their big merger would give them more funds to make upgrades, not function like a broke hotel. I stayed here two weeks ago and here's a quick rundown of my "adventure" (if you will): I recieved mixmatched keys- one blank white key with an arrow on it which was drawn on with a sharpie and a generic white & green looking key with the word "Timelox" on it, weird, and the AC broke down for the entire building, so it was extremely uncomfortable and hot. It was nice to see a few familiar faces, but LOTS of new staff. Restaurant space looks great, food is pretty good.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ludlow_bOY

Dear Ludlow_bOY,

I'm sorry to hear your experience here was not a good one. However, I will pass on your nice comments about the restaurant to the Manager. Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed in March 2013. Worst experience ever. Rooms are nice but very noisy from street noise and hotel noise as walls are very thin.
Service is absolutely horrible. If you want to be treated poorly then this is the place for you.
Huge disappointmentl on so many levels. This hotel needs serious customer service training.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank WorldTravellermf

Dear WorldTracellermf,

I am very upset to hear about your experience here. If you would like to discuss further, please dont hesitate to contact me. I would be happy to talk with you.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I took a good friend to Beverly Hills for a special birthday and chose the Thompson after many website searches and consults with friends who had chosen to stay in Hollywood on other occasions. I was not disappointed by my choice. First off, the other hotels in Beverly Hills are exorbitantly expensive, but if you want to stay somewhere nice but not ridiculously priced, consider the Thompson.

If the weather is nice, you will consider the stay a success simply because of the rooftop pool and bar - it made our trip! We spent Friday afternoon after a decadent lunch at Spago (a 1 min walk away) relaxing at the pool. The view is spectacular. It was never crowded and we made good use of the relaxing deck chairs. They also had 2 private parties on the roof on Saturday night, but as guests of the hotel they still made room for us. We met great people and had great service (would you prefer to go out to the Sunset strip and wait 45 mins to get into a club? Or have a private bartender and a gorgeous view of the city surrounded by fun people? (the people-watching is fantastic in Beverly Hills!)).

As for the rooms? The beds are VERY comfy- I don't know what the other reviewers are talking about. The rooms are dark- but were you planning on spending your time in BH in the room all day? I didn't think so. The hotel staff were all very friendly. The location is great, and yes, you will spend cab fare getting to and from BH but I was glad I didn't listen to my friends and stay at the W in Hollywood, as it was on a noisy corner on the edges of a dodgy part of the city, and the front door was surrounded by tourists and homeless people. They still had to spend the same amount of cab fare getting to the strip as I did coming from BH.

The ONLY negatives: the key cards de-magnetized constantly and we had to switch keys or get maids to let us in 4-5 times. Always ask for more than 1 key and keep both with you at all times to ensure you can access the elevator and rooms. Also, the AC was temperamental and didn't cool the room as well as it should, but ignore the other reviewers - the room was slightly warm but far from unbearable, and we stayed during a 30 degree (Celsius) weekend. All in all, we loved being in such a lovely area (2 min walk from Rodeo drive), and a 5 min walk from the hop on bus which took us to Hollywood and Santa Monica.
My friend loved jogging from the hotel around the tree-lined neighbourhoods and having the locals (including the Beverly Hills cops!) waving as she ran by!

Don't second guess this choice- we were thoroughly happy with this hotel and will stay again. The rooftop pool and comfy beds are all I need!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear KVanCan,

Thank you so much for your comments and feedback about the property. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip and really discovered what Beverly Hills has to offer. Please think of us the next time you visit Los Angeles.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Hotel attempts to be sleek, but misses the mark. Very dark, small rooms with uncomfortable bedding and furniture. One night was totally miserable because the a/c wasn't working. We were told it had been "fixed," but it had not. After a sleepless night, my husband made something of a scene in the lobby. Later in the day we were given an upgrade; however, the old room was still without air....couldn't open the doors because the Wilshire Ave. car noise is horrible. The hotel did not charge us for the sleepless night, and a bottle of wine was sent to our room. The staff is young and friendly.

Room Tip: The best rooms are just too overpriced.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear 5beachgrandmaf,

I am sorry to hear your stay was not up to your expectations, but I am glad the staff handled the end of your stay the way they did. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed at the Thompson for 4 nights and was very happy with the location. The restaurant was very good with a pleasant atmosphere. The room was spacious and kept to a good standard. The roof top bar & pool were very convenient. My only negative comment was that the house maid thrashed a poster tube I was given full of skate posters for my son. The staff were brilliant and very apologetic but it was a little disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
SalesBH, General Manager at SIXTY Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear amanda a,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments on your stay here. It sounds like the Front Desk handled your situation properly, but I do apologize for any inconvenience. We hope you had a safe trip home.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The minute we walked into our room my first thought was this room is small but very nice I especially liked the bathroom it was very modern and clean it had a walk in shower big enough for two people the room also had a balcony with a large sliding glass door it was very nice to be able to have fresh air the room also had a fully stocked mini bar with drinks and snacks they were a little pricey but worth the convenience of not having to leave your room the hotel also has a beautiful rooftop lounge and pool a must see .

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear slsonya,

Thank you for providing feedback on our property. It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay here at Thompson Beverly Hills. We look forward to welcoming you back here in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#4 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Mosaic Hotel Beverly Hills
Mosaic Hotel Beverly Hills
#11 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Central L.A
Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills

Been to SIXTY Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!