“This is a 3.5 star hotel priced liked one.”
Review of The Beverly Hilton

The Beverly Hilton
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Malibu, California
“This is a 3.5 star hotel priced liked one.”
Reviewed January 17, 2010

I made reservations at this hotel because it was listed on Expedia as a 5 star hotel. But after staying there I did not find that the hotel or my room was five star level. At most they 3.5 stars. The good news is that the price I paid was about $160 night which is more of the three star price range.

The hotel is in the center of Beverly Hills but it is not within walking distance of anything. You need to drive or take a cab to any of the Beverly Hills locations such as Rodeo Drive. The hotel offers a free limo shuttle after 5 pm for drop off (not pick-up) to local destinations such as the Century Center Shopping Center and Rodeo Drive.

The ultimate place to stay in Beverly Hills in my view is the Beverly Wiltshire which is across the street from Rodeo drive in the center of the city. The hotel and rooms just drip with elegance. But you can’t ever get a room there for under $500. So for less than a third of the price, the Beverly Hilton is clearly an acceptable place to say.
Tips for the area: Two great places to visit in Beverly Hills are 1) the outdoor café at the Beverly Wiltshire where you can sit on Wiltshire across the street from Rodeo Drive and watch the fancy cars drive by and the tourists visiting the area. 2) Buena Vista Cigar Lounge about a mile from the Beverly Hilton which is one of a handful of active cigar bars in California which has a full bar and a great selection of cigars which you and enjoy in a classic and well-ventilated atmosphere. It is open from about 4 pm to 1 or 2 am so it is a great after hours reprieve

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Taniquan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Moreland Hills, Ohio
Reviewed January 10, 2010

I have been a loyal Hilton customer for 20 years. (I am currently a "gold" level for this chain.), and this was the worst Hilton that I ever stayed in.

The common areas of the hotel are quite nice. They are classic '50's Art Deco. It would be fun to pull up to this hotel in a '57 Bel Air convertible, eat dinner, then leave.

The things I liked about the hotel: the staff is very friendly and attentive. They were quite well trained and attentive. The food was also quite good. I was attending a conference sponsored by my employer and had many buffet meals and one sit down meal. They were all quite good. The buffets were surprisingly good. I had absolutely no complaints about the staff.

The pool is also quite nice. They play old surfer movies at night. it is quite pleasant.

There were two things that made this hotel unacceptable. First was the room. It was terrible. This was particularly bad since being a Gold member, I am entitled to a room upgrade. If this was the upgraded room, I would hate to see the base room. The room had an enclosed bath that had an incredibly annemic fan. So much so that my wife kept insisting that there was no fan. I did find the fan and pointed it out to her. Why was this a problem. Being an enclosed bathroom, the ventilation was terrible. The bathroom had mold and mildew growing on the tub and the walls. Now this was not the fault of the cleaning staff. The room was kept clean as best as could be done. It was obvious that the mold was growing through the fresh paint. Humidity was being trapped and causing the growth.

The room was also small. Way too small. I was traveling with my wife and son, and there really wasn't enough room for our luggage.

This is supposed to be a high end hotel. It didn't even have a complimentary coffee maker. Every Hampton Inn I've been in has a coffee maker.

This hotel has cheap policies and is overpriced. it is one of those hotels that tries to nickel and dime (here $10 and $20) you to death for everything. Again, I receive free breakfast as a part of Gold status. My son was with us on this trip. Most hotels will give him a free breakfast (he is only 12). Not here. You only get 2 free breakfasts per day. All of the other Hiltons on this trip provided three free breakfasts, one even upgraded us to full hot buffett. Now, they do not have to provide 3 free, but cosidering the price of everything at this hotel, you would think that that wouldn't be too much trouble.

Also, the hotel is extremely overpriced. For example a cup of tea, a soft drink, and an iced cost $43. Yes, $43. I was planning on taking my family out to dinner in the hotel (my son has a suprisingly sophisticated pallette for a 12 year old and enjoys dressing up for fine dining). But with the cheapness of the hotel and the crazy prices, we decided to go out of the hotel to eat.

Also, it was a battle to get my upgrades. Any Hilton Honors member is supposed to get complimentary bottles of water. Ususally they are in the room with a note from one of the managers. They weren't there. I called the front desk to get them. The person at the front desk told me to take them out of the minibar. After being sternly told that only two breakfast coupons per room per night and the minibar being a marvel of automatic charging (and if you want the stuff removed from the room, they'll charge you an extra $20), I told them I did not want to touch the bar and please deliver the water. I waited twenty minutes, no water. I called back to re-request the water. It was delivered--with an $18 dollar room charge. I took the water, refused to sign the check, and called Hilton Honors. They called the front desk of the hotel to make sure I would not be charged.

After all of this, I checked the envelope with the breakfast buffet coupons. They had shorted me three of the coupons. Back to the front desk . . . .

When I checked out, I informed the lady that I was not satified with my stay. Particularly the room. I told her it wasn't her fault. She mentioned that she would tell one of the managers. In the twenty years I've been staying at Hiltons, this was only the second time I gave them an unsatisfactory mark. The last time, management did contact me. So far I have had no response from this hotel. They do not seem to care.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank jmk5
essex, u.K
Reviewed January 8, 2010

We have been coming back to this hotel for around 8 years, the service is great and the rooms are impeccably clean. Bed is incredibly comfortable and everything is up to date. Mini bar is a bit on the pricey side but nothing you wouldnt expect from this class of hotel. Room service is fast and the car valeting system works superbly. 2 bottles of water replaced in the car each time it is brought to you by the valet guys. Alright, to be fair, some staff can cock a snoot when they realise you are a regular Joe Soap, but many Beverly Hills residents are like this. The hotel is impressive on entrance, the lobby is lovely. Cocktails in The Lobby Bar make for a perfect ending to the evening, people watching and dreaming that your house is just up the road....!
We have stayed in the Beverly Wilshire, small and dark rooms. The Loews is ok, but not as nice as Hilton as the rooms very chintzy. If your'e staying in Beverly Hills then I'd say stay here without doubt.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JacAli
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2009

This was a perfect hotel from which to explore Beverly Hills and the Hollywood area wih a car. You could even walk to Rodeo Drive in 10 mins. We wanted somewhere with a bit of style, and this place certainly had it. The rooms were lovely, and kept very clean. It's also a good place from which to do some of the many tours you can do around this part of LA.

The only gripe we had was with the lack of professionalism from some of the staff. As an example, we called up the concierge to ask where we could change some foreign currency - not a very stretching question for a concierge we thought - but the concierge said we needed to contact front desk. When we were transferred there, the front desk very snappily told us it wasn't their job but the concierge. The concierge then insisted it was the front desk... We then asked to talk to a manager. They never called us back. (Also the concierge failed at booking cinema tickets - again, surely not a very stretching ask?!?)

Such a shame that an otherwise excellent hotel was marred by poor staff service at times. It wasn't everyone who was poor - the chap who checked us in was very polite, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank malbecblue
Denmark
Reviewed December 27, 2009

We love this Hotel, nice staff nice rooms, great pool area.
i would recommend the Deluxe rooms.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Although it doesn't look that gorgeous from the outside, the hotel's lobby and pool area is great and very Southern California. The rooms are fine and spacious. I particularly like the bathroom with a small tv and great lighting. The balcony was also great to enjoy the wonderful So. California weather. The location is great for getting around all of So. Cal. and it is very close to prime Beverly Hills, Los Angeles shopping and other attractions. Depending on when you are there, you might have some good people-watching or even star-sightings as at times Hollywood film events are held there (complete with red carpet and papparazzi). Otherwise it has typical business conferences.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed December 15, 2009

The staff is wonderful and really goes out of their way to help you. I would higly recommend the breakfast buffet as it's a great deal and terrific food. The kids will love the aquarium and the parrots in the lobby area.

If you have a choice, go with a room in the main tower. The rooms are bigger and the views are better.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank KManNewYork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
Luxe Rodeo Drive Hotel
Luxe Rodeo Drive Hotel
#5 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Central L.A
Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills

Been to The Beverly Hilton? Share your experiences!