“Great Pool - location and staff”
Review of The Beverly Hilton

The Beverly Hilton
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Yorkshire
“Great Pool - location and staff”
Reviewed September 30, 2004

The staff were very friendly and my every request - even the ones I expected to be charged for or turned down were met and exceeded.

I am HHonors Gold so maybe this is why however I noticed similar genuine friendlyness to all the guests I saw.

Dont get me wrong - the others reviews are not wrong - the hotel is scratty - rooms a bit 80's - but it is being refurbished and will be very swish by all acounts.

The pool are is just great and worth staying here alone. Location is great too.

HOWEVER... although the refit is a must and it will be 100 times better and more to Hilton standard with a 5* lable; I was told that the rates will be much higher - double what they are now - in that case - there are other and more exclusive hotels I would try. we shall see.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 11, 2004

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks last year and can honestly say I don't know what the bad reviews on trip advisor are all about. All I can think of is that people are being way too picky!

I stayed in a standard room but called ahead before arriving and asked for this to be front facing with a balcony which we were given straightaway upon arrival. The rooms were the usual you would expect from a hilton, not 5 * luxury but very nice, big and bright.

I have found that the majority of hotels in the USA are room only and although the hilton is also sold as this we were suprised to find that we were entitled to a free breakfast of bread, fruit and pastries that was constantly being replenished.

I found all the staff at reception, in the car park, by the pool etc to be friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Even Merv Griffin, whom we met in the lift was friendly!!

The pool area is fantastic, an enormous pool that was never crowded in the 2 weeks that we were there and plenty of loungers, sunny and shaded areas.

The location is also ideal, easy to walk to shops and beverly hills although as with any hotel in L.A a car is recommended.

I almost didn't stay here because of the reviews on trip advisor but I decided to ignore them and i'm glad I did!!

I understand that the hotel is also undergoing a massive renovation which can only make this better-I will be back!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 26, 2004

We stayed at the Hilton for 5 nights in August for part of our honeymoon. We booked it through a very well known UK tour operator, Kuoni. Being a Silver Hilton Honours member, on honeymoon, and checking in with a Hilton credit card you would expect some kind of upgrade, or at least one of there decent rooms. But no, we got given a horrendous room in the tattiest and most outdated part of the hotel. The carpets were filthy and torn and the bathroom was appauling. We have stayed in many Hiltons and this doesn't even come close to any. We expected something half decent with it hosting the Golden Globes and being in Beverly Hills.

The excuses we got were that they were renovating and haven't got many rooms in use. We found the lady who served us on reception very rude and abrupt. We complained about the room on arrival and were given another identical room just down the corridor. My husband complained again and this time spoke to the manager who gave us a Cabana Room by the pool. This was a big improvement and light, bright and airy. Definitely try and get one of these if you can..

We had breakfast included but weren't told that it wasn't actually in the main restaurant so when we dined in there we were billed for that. The breakfast we later found out we had included was infact being held in a tiny meeting room (not an eating area) with very few chairs and was basically just fruit, pastry and cold coffee.

The restaurant, Griffs, was bad also. We ate in here one night The staff in there speak very poor English and are abrupt also. The food on the buffet was swarming in flies and there is a very strange smell present.

Needless to say we would not recommend this hotel. It gave a bad start to our honeymoon.

In the brochure we were told we would get an upgrade if available (we booked this holiday last October so probably one of the first bookings for the hotel!!), also we should have received champagne and fruit... no sign of either!!

If you go here expecting a motel then you will not be disappointed. Do not expect a glamourous 4* Beverly Hills hotel!!

I read the advise on here and thought people were being picky, but no, please believe it!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Raritan, NJ
Reviewed August 5, 2004

Very pretty hotel. Stayed here in June, 2004 for 1 night while on my way to San Diego. Friendly staff and very colorful room (a nice change from the usual drab accommodations!). Food and service in the Grille was great but a little pricey!

1 Thank Patricia B
Reviewed July 25, 2004

We stayed 4 nites July 2004 at the Beverly Hilton and were quite pleased. We thought it was a good deal for the PL rate. Don't know if I would pay rack rate. For a first trip to LA we thought the location was good. The renovations did not bother us a bit. We were really gone most of the day doing tourist things, the room was always clean when we returned. We were on the ground floor with the glass doors facing a large courtyard. We did not eat there or swim, etc. But for the price, the room was very nice. The bathroom shower area could have used some work so I am not sure if it had been renovated or not, the carpet and paint looked new. I love using Trip Advisor so hope this helps somebody. Obviously the person there at the same time as we were did not have a good experience.

Reviewed July 21, 2004

we chose to stay at the hilton after much thought as it looked very nice in all the brochures. we pre paid via the internet for 5 nights in july 2004. we were aware they are currently renovating and arrived with this in mind. the self parking was good although not exactly cheap $21 per day and it was quite a walk to the hotel. on arrival at the check in desk the staff seemed more interested in anything but serving us. when they eventually did we found them to be pompus and rude! the walk to the elevator was quite a way from the desk. then came the room itself. none of the furniture matched and was tatty and falling apart. the airconditiong was so noisy we had to turn it off and even the mini bar was noisy! in the bathroom all the metal fixings were rusty and falling off. the shower door was rusty and looked dirty and the toilet would flush in about 3 or 4 attempts. the whole room was so tatty and unpleasant that we checked out after one night! we were not offered any refund. we hope that the renovations improve it greatly for guests in the future. we wont be going back though!!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 12, 2004

My family and I just returned from a great stay at the Beverly Hilton. We stayed in a Cabanna Room which was fantastic! Every staff member I encountered was friendly and helpful. The hotel is in an excellent location, close to everything. The hotel was better than I expected. When the renovation is complete, every room will be beautiful. We enjoyed the Beverly Hilton so much we already made reservations for next year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
Luxe Rodeo Drive Hotel
Luxe Rodeo Drive Hotel
#5 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Beverly Hills Hotel
Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#4 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The Beverly Hilton? Share your experiences!