“the best hotel in the world”

The Beverly Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed April 14, 2009

From the moment you arrive at the entrance, greeted by a team of valet parkers, you realize you are in good hands. The rooms are sublime. Big, spacious, and well appointed. Ours had a marble surrounded fireplace, a great view and a superbly comfortable bed. The living area featured a desk, sofa and coffee table. The bathrooms are divine. Service is whatever you want it to be, but always great. The pool is an iconic haven. A place to relax completely - they even play music under water! As far as dining is concerned there are a number of options. The Polo lounge and bar are excellent. The menu is varied and the service superb. The wine list is extensive - and the mark up high on the wines I was familiar with. The food is always well presented, and tastes fantastic. We also enjoyed a cocktail at the 19 bar - although again the best part of 50 bucks for 2 margaritas and a coke seemed over the top - even in Beverly Hills. But, and it is a big but - you don't stay at this hotel to complain about the price. The deluxe rooms are listed at nearly 600 US a night and even with some seasonal promotions the cost of 2 nights is still high. Add breakfast and an evening meal, and it is serious cash - especially in a downturn. My advice is similar to gambling in Vegas - allocate the money and then enjoy the experience. It must be impossible not to emerge relaxed after a stay at this magnificent and historical hotel - and given that it is the photo on the album cover of The Eagles "Hotel California" - I would have to say, with their flexibility, you can indeed check in any time you like - but once you've been you'll never want to leave.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank grove1

Reviewed April 9, 2009

What can I say about this fabulous place? I will always measure other top hotels by this one. It is lovely, from the fireplace in the room, to the classic banana palm frond wallpaper, to the art deco architecture inside. This hotel speaks a language of elegance that is rarely found anymore. The Polo Club restaurant is always delightful and the service top notch. From the moment you open your car door and the valet welcomes you, you realize you are in a different world. The pool attendants turn your chair for a perfect sunning angle, for goodness sake. Forget your contact solution? They went out and bought me some in the middle of the night. Incredible. My favorite hotel in the world!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank LB_Bunny
Reviewed April 5, 2009

I was so impressed at our recent stay at the Beverly Hills Hotel. I booked a single Saturday night stay during a recent weeklong trip to California as I thought it would be a fun and high glamour thing to do with my daughter. I got a very much reduced rate ($350/night) probably due to the soft economy. It didn't matter. All the staff treated us wonderfully with not one iota of attitude and was about as accomodating as a hotel could possibly be.

We arrived at 11:00am and the front desk was able to get us checked into our room early (standard check-in is at 3:00pm) which was great as my daughter was not feeling well. The complimentary shutttle to Rodeo Drive to and from, was perfect as was the concierge. At dinner in the Polo lounge, we were able to get seated right by the piano player and again, the waiters treated us like royalty. Finally, as we were checking out at noon , they offered to extend our stay until 2:00pm to allow my daughter time to take a swim by the pool.

Not that a five star hotel wouldn't give great service but I just thought there might be more attitude attached since we were there for such a brief, and reduced cost stay. I would stay there again in a heartbeat and definitely for more than one night the next time.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I stayed at the Beverly Hills Hotel with my wife during a recent trip down the California Coast...We pulled up to the hotel (literally on the corner of Rodeo Drive and Sunset Blvd)and were met by 3 very helpful doormen...The front desk was very efficient and we were shown to our Bungalow (1C)...It was very spacious and updated with all of the modern amenities (although you could hear the tennis court in the morning)...The decor was suprinsingly understated....The grounds of the hotel were gorgeous...There were countless trees, plants and animals running around...You almost forgot you were in the middle of a huge city...The pool was spacious and had cabanas on one side and a cafe/bar on another end...The fitness center was OK...The spa was very good but expensive, according to me wife...Service was generally excellent...A lot of the staff knew your name even though it was a large hotel and they treated "normal" guests the same way they treated the Hollywood stars...If that is your thing, there are plenty of famous people running around but people thankfully kept to themselves and didn't blow a gasket when they saw a celebrity...The concierge staff were patient, helpful and informative...We ate at Spago, Melisse (Santa Monica) and Providence (Mid Wilshire)...All very good and each with 2 Michelin stars...Given that its LA and the quality of the grounds, rooms and service (contrary to some of the reviews, they treated you well even if you didn't tip all the time) the hotel offered very good value for money...I would definitely recommend staying in a bugalow...They are very special and the rate was not that much more then a deluxe room ...If I make it back to LA there is no other place I would consider staying and highly recommend the BHH.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobd72
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Stayed at this Hotel 18 months ago and just booked to return at Easter.After much deliberation (very fussy husband) we chose this hotel and were not dissapointed at all.There is a quiet elegance about the place and they managed to make us feel welcome and special.We had enormous adjoining rooms which were spotless.We didnt have much of a view from our enormous terrace but it just didnt matter.My husband and son worked out in the Gym next to a very famous actor who was very polite to them.
I understand the minor points about the pool staff, they do have a bit of an offhand attitude but we tried not to let it get to us!
When you arrive the entrance with its red carpet made me feel like a star!
Great location feels very safe.
As I said we are going back and have chosen it over all other 5 star hotels, we know what to expect and its great!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2008

This is LA at its best.....

It has glamour, service and doesn't take itself too seriously. Its a huge place, but you feel as if you are the only person staying there. The remember your name, have that great USA service and it just feels relaxed.

100% the best place i have ever stayed in LA

well worth the money

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank zoe_elgin
Reviewed December 13, 2008

You can sense the class, discretion, and glamour as soon as you walk in.... just oozes all the history. Reminds me of Claridges in London.

Okay, its expensive, but the location, quality of rooms and service justify it. We found the Polo lounge breakfasts to be amazing (but expensive).

The pool was perfect, and the tennis courts and coaches great.

The only gripe was the attitude from the 'cabana boys' down the pool -- get over it...

Everything else - sensational.

It's up there with the best in the world,... I'll be back, no question

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Stich_B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Westside
#8 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#5 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The Beverly Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!