“Return Visitor -- Like This Hotel with a few reservations”

The Beverly Hills Hotel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed October 3, 2008

Stayed in 2 bedroom bungalow. We like the fresh fruit and cookies delivered daily; they provided an excellent Italian-made high chair in the bungalow for our little one. Food and beverage is excellent throughout. We had two service issues -- came to pool area for breakfast before 9am and they weren't open yet even though we were told they were. Waiter was more interested in setting up than giving us some kind of food from the kitchen to put in front of our two kids who were very hungry and melting down and he told us to wait half an hour. He could have done something like gotten some cheerios or fruit. I ran to the coffee shop to bring back food, which was a long way away and we were really upset. Otherwise, service personnel were great. Another thing we found was that when we asked for milk for our kids' bottles, men always charged us and women didn't. When I raised the point at the front desk at checkout, they adjusted the bill. My only other complaint is that the air conditioning controls are very hard to operate in the bungalows; all sorts of electronics that make no sense and I'm not even sure work very well. At 75 degrees, room was warm and at 73 degrees it was freezing. But otherwise, the bungalows are beautiful, the grounds are lovely, the Polo Lounge remains one of my favorite hotel dining rooms and the hotel is everything that it should be -- an oasis in the middle of beverly hills and los angeles.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank 649ic
There are newer reviews for The Beverly Hills Hotel

Reviewed October 2, 2008

We stayed in the Beverly Hills hotel for one night to share a bit of the experience and we got what we hoped for: an excellent stay with awesome service.

The room was great and very nicely decorated and the whole hotel atmosphere was overwhelming. The staff was friendly and helpful. The Polo Lounge was great and the food was of a high standard.

Only negatives were that the waiter brought us and outdated menu card and brought the wrong food. They solved the food issue within minutes. Nothing to worry about, we'd think...

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JJB77
Reviewed September 29, 2008

We stayed here the very last night of our Honeymoon! We did not want to leave! Was very impressed by the staff - ate at the Polo Lounge and had to deal with some obnixous Hollywood kids - later complained to the waitstaff and received free desert. Overall a great time - although very pricy.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Sparkles8198
Reviewed September 22, 2008

As a resident of Beverly Hills, I have enjoyed visiting this beautiful hotel with my children for many years. We have many good memories, however, on my last visit to the restaurant I needed assistance parking my car and the Security person told me he would have my car towed if I did not move. I requested Valet service but he simply did not want to assist and stated my car was in the way.

He was very abrasive, impolite and an insult to the reputation of this prestigious hotel. I suggest the hotel management the evaluate this thug employed in the Security Department abusing senior citizens.

Stayed: September 2008
21  Thank AchilleBenCyn
Reviewed September 9, 2008

My wife, son and I stayed here for one night in August just before flying back to the UK. We'd just spent 6 nights in a suite on the club floor at the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel, so hadn't exactly been slumming it, but from the moment we checked in the BHH felt special.

Although we arrived at midday, we were immediately shown to our bungalow, and complimentary champagne, fruit bowl and cookies were delivered shortly afterwards. Some other reviewers have complained about the old fashioned/worn furnishings. I found our bungalow spacious, clean and elegantly furnished in a style befitting the history and setting of the hotel.

We had lunch and dinner outdoors at the Polo Club in the delightful, shady courtyard part of the restaurant. The food is good but not exceptional, but there was something polite, intimate and relaxed about the place that make it one of the most pleasing settings I've ever eaten in. Prices were surprisingly reasonable considering the venue.

The grounds were beautiful - particularly the area in which the bungalows are located. Some have complained about the distance they had to walk to get there but, I'm sorry, you can't have it all ways. If you want a feeling of exclusive privacy in a luxuriant garden setting, it's necessary to walk a few yards to get to your front door - the route could hardly be more pleasant. If you prefer to be close to the pool, stay in the main building.

The pool and it's surroundings are attractive but on the day we were there there was a shortage of sunbeds after 11.00 am. (This wasn't because it was overcrowded but because half the poolside space is devoted to space-consuming private luxury cabanas which need to be booked in advance for an additional fee).

I'd kind of expected many of the the guests to be flashy, loud, unreasonable and demanding. Nothing could have been further from the truth. They were well-mannered, calm and agreeable. I didn't see a single person throwing a tantrum or being rude to the staff - a nice contrast to a few of those staying at the Ritz at Laguna Niguel.

The very best thing of all about this hotel, however, was the service. Without exception, the staff were helpful, polite, friendly and sincere. There was no element of them doing us a favour letting us stay in their fine hotel, or treating us as second class citizens because we weren't celebrities. In fact we left wondering whether we'd accidentally been put on the VIP list - and you can't ask more from service than that.

Stayed: August 2008
3  Thank BQD
Reviewed September 5, 2008

Having just read a couple of negative reviews about this hotel I am wondering if they were in the same place?

This is the stuff of legends and this hotel is right up there among my great hotel experiences.

We simply adored the Beverly Hills Hotel (we stay in many superb 5 star deluxe hotels, but this place is special) - it is a "grande dame", not flashy, but enormously charismatic. Every member of staff we met was the embodiment of kindness and charm - I just can't understand how anyone could criticise the service here.

The receptionist who escorted us to our bungalow said it was Marilyn Monroe's favourite. Whether it was or not, we really liked it. The bungalow feels like a home from home and is much more intimate in feel than your usual hotel suite. The bungalows are positioned along quiet secluded paths, which are lined with palms and flowering plants - it has an exotic feel.

Both the sitting room and bedroom were large and well furnished and the marble bathroom vast and well-appointed.

Our son's rollaway was in place (mongrammed sheets), along with a child-size towelling robe.

We then enjoyed an excellent lunch at the Polo Lounge and, again, this exceeded my expectations. We sat outside (it's beautifully shady) and we all felt relaxed and so good there!

Upon returning to our Bungalow, a bottle of champagne on ice had been left by the Manager, as well as fruit, mineral water and a gift for our son. At this point, we cancelled our plans to go sight-seeing and stayed put!

We ate our dinner at the Polo Lounge as well (but lunch is best so you can appreciate the surroundings). The next morning we had a quick swim (we noticed the pool got very busy later - it was a holiday weekend) but then sadly had to check out to fly home.

To say that I recommend this hotel is an understatement. I had previously disliked LA but following this experience we are booking to return as part of another US trip next Spring!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank TM99
Reviewed August 31, 2008

This was our second stay at the Beverly Hills Hotel, we stayed in a bungalow, which was really nice, however on both our stays we had problems sleeping at night since we had very noisy neighbours and it seems the walls are paper thin..which we found quite unacceptable.For this reason we might not return and choose Peninsula or the beverly wing at the FS beverly Wilshire.
This is a pity since the grounds are exquisite and the staff very friendly and professional.We also enjoyed breakfast at Polo (especially the japanese breakfast which happens to be the best one I have ever had outside of Japan).

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank sharit911
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Westside
#4 of 15 in Beverly Hills
The Beverly Hilton
The Beverly Hilton
#7 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The Beverly Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!