“More than a little disappointed.”

The Beverly Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Leeds
“More than a little disappointed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

We have been going to this hotel since around 2005 and thought of it as our favourite, more like home from home, but sadly not this time.
We stayed in September of this year for 10 nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary (we were married in LA back in 2007).
The lobby has had a refurb which looks great but this only makes the rest of the hotel look shabby and in desperate need of a refurb which I was told this was going to take place next year.
We had a room on the 4th floor looking out towards BH with a balcony this was nice but no where near as nice as some of the other rooms we had stayed in here, the issue was the balcony which was not cleaned properly for nearly all of our stay, it wasnt until (after 3 requests for it to be cleaned) my Husband contacted the Manager and finally something was done but only after my Husband spoke to him twice about it.
The hall ways outside of our room I do not think was hoovered for the whole of our stay, even though we had spoken to the Manager about this on 2 occasions, it was covered in bits of cotton from housekeeping and general dirt from outside.
Our room was not hoovered properly either which again we had to say something about.
The hallway on the ground floor where you got out of the only lift which took you to the 4th floor was also never hoovered for the whole of our stay, yet again bits from housekeeping and leaves and general dirt.
This is not how a 5 star hotel should be, we should not be paying the prices for 5 star and getting 3 star clealiness.
The pool area has lost it's sparkle, some of the towels which were put over our beds were ripped and should have been thrown away a long time ago, they were also looking a little grey and felt hard rather than white and fluffy.
The Polo Lounge some of the seats the padding has long since gone and you are sat on springs.
The best bit was the breakfast, the crab cakes were sublime and a must have, also the fruit platter which is wonderful.
We tried to have lunch in the Polo Lounge but were told they were fully booked and to come back in an hour, this would be fine if they were but there were many tables empty and no reserved signs on any table. My husband complained and stated you should not turn away residents of the hotel when there are in fact free tables (obviously kept for Celebs and regulars) and low and behold a table became free within 10 minutes. (BAD SERVICE).

Other good parts of the hotel were the guys that park your cars, while we were waiting for numerous taxis and the hotel car over the nights we stayed, they were really nice guys very helpful and great to talk to.

Also Michael the VIP garage manager - wonderful man worth his weight in gold, my husband loves cars and he talked to Michael for hours over our stay, thank you Michael you made our stay.

The Manager did offer us a free meal at the outside pool restaurant after the mess up with the cleaning of out balcony, he also (which we did not know until checking out) reduced one nights stay, neither of these we asked for, all we did ask for was our balcony and room and hotel to be clean and to be like it had always been when we had stayed previously - wich was wonderful and I am sorry this time it was not.

We went to their sister hotel The Bel Aire for a meal and a walk around - now that is 5 star luxury and if we do go back I think this will be the one we will be staying in.

Sorry guys to have had to write not a great review about a hotel which we used to love but times have changed and not for the better here.

Room Tip: No real tip as the room need refurbing.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NooLeeds
TheBeverlyHillsHotel, General Manager at The Beverly Hills Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear NooLeeds,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. First of all, I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you back again after your previous visit. I’m very pleased you enjoyed the new lobby and starting in January we will be refreshing the Polo Lounge, the pool, and the guestrooms as well. The Polo Lounge restoration will begin in January and we will reopen at the beginning of March. The pool and guestrooms will take place in small sections over the next two years to ensure our guests are undisturbed. We’ve just finished our first suite and will be releasing it to the public over the next few weeks and hope you will have the opportunity to see it.

I appreciate you taking the time to outline the shortcomings you experienced as it is by means of such feedback that we are able to improve the standards here at The Beverly Hills Hotel. I have addressed your concerns with the housekeeping leadership team and assure you this is not the five star service we are known for and our employees pride themselves on.

As you pointed out, the Polo Lounge is very popular and walk-ins are difficult to accommodate so I’m pleased you informed the host that you were staying with us as we do set aside tables for our in-house guests. I’m also glad your husband enjoyed chatting with Michael. He’s a wealth of knowledge and one of our best and I will share your comments with him.

Once again, I’d like to thank you for being a loyal patron of The Beverly Hills Hotel. I hope your recent visit will not deter you from considering The Beverly Hills Hotel in the future and I would be most grateful for any opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel. I will personally supervise your reservation and will ensure extra special recognition is given to you on your next visit.

Best regards,
Edward A. Mady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

From the moment we pulled up we felt like royalty! The valet parking attendants quick, efficient and personable, we were upgraded to a bungalow and it was amazing. We had a gas fireplace, deep soaking tub, vanity with built in t.v. inside the mirror and the shower was to die for with a rain head and two other side jets blasting water for a most magnificent shower. We ate lunch at the Polo Lounge which was delicious and every staff memeber we met along the way was beyond personable and catered to our needs. We felt like we were wanted there, this is a place that other businesses, hotels or not should aspire to emulate. Can't wait to go back, a must for all, well worth the money!!

Room Tip: I'm sure any room chosen would be superb!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TheBeverlyHillsHotel, General Manager at The Beverly Hills Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear queenjan,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Beverly Hills Hotel. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to capture the essence we’ve been sharing with our guests for 100 years. We look forward to seeing you back soon at The Beverly Hills Hotel!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Although I was only here two nights on business it was a great stay. It was my second time in 10 years and although it hasn't really changed its still very nice. Both times I chose the bungalow rooms which are really nice. The bungalow rooms are nice because you can enter from the residential area along side of the hotel without having to go through the lobby scene all the time. The spa is small and a little pricey for a massage...60 minutes was over $200 with tip. Service throughout the hotel was awesome as expected. Great stay!

Room Tip: I prefer the bungalows
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TheBeverlyHillsHotel, General Manager at The Beverly Hills Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear mattjb24,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Beverly Hills Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The Bungalows are often requested because of their lush greenery, winding pathways and separate entrances, it is nice to see how much you enjoyed staying in one. Thank you for your feedback regarding our spa, I will pass this along to our spa manager.

We hope to see you back at The Beverly Hills Hotel in the near future.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is a must stay Hotel to LA. The walls are full of history but unfortunately the walls don't speak. Amazingly luxurious, excellent staff and service, beautiful gardens, great cocktails and even the bathrooms step back in time to the ladies with the lounge chairs. We were given adjoining rooms with our friends and the maze of secretive pathways make the hotel so much more surprising. The hotel provides a courtesy car to drop you where you want which we used more than once and it was honoured every time. Fantastic memories ofThe Beverley Hills Hotel.

Room Tip: We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to the lovely houses in the grounds, just ask.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
TheBeverlyHillsHotel, General Manager at The Beverly Hills Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Barb2035,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Beverly Hills Hotel. I am glad you took advantage of our courtesy car, we always encourage our guests to use it and discover the beautiful city of Beverly Hills. It is wonderful to read how much you enjoyed the hotel and that you were able to create fantastic memories with us.

Please come back and visit us again.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Arriving mid afternoon we were met with the information that our room was not available. Although we had been upgraded to another room, it did not have the required balcony. No big deal. Had dinner and an early night and headed out the following day (shopping, of course) in the knowledge that our bags would be moved to our new room by the time we got back. They had but we only had one bed and a 'put-you-up' which would not be ideal for our 15 year old daughter for 12 nights. Another quick call to Reception and we were on the move again to a fourth floor room with a HUGE balcony and two double beds - Perfect (finally)! And that was the only real negative we had at this fantastic hotel.

Beverly Hills Hotel really does know what it is doing. It makes you feel like one of the stars who you do actually see around the hotel and pool (no names please as privacy is respected!).

We had dinner in the The Polo Lounge one evening but it did not really reflect our British tastes. However, their service was phenomenal. On the first evening when we arrived and just for some drinks and 'picky' bits, my husband had travelled in open shoes and the Maître d quite rightly requested that he change to closed one. When we explained that our luggage was journeying around his hotel, he very kindly agreed to seat us on the terrace. His commitment to service encouraged us to visit The Polo Lounge every evening for a nightcap on our return after dinner where we were always met with first class service.

We only visited Bar Nineteen12 once as our daughter was not allowed in after 9pm. It was great and such a shame that it had this particular restriction as it definitely leant towards the younger ones with plasmas and great music.

We had lunch at the Cabana Cafe virtually every day. Good food and great people watching with, as we had come to expect from the BHH, fantastic service.

We did go to the Coffee Fountain Room once but it was just too much for us Brits. We think that sandwiches should be made of two slices each of white bread and ham with a limp piece of lettuce. It definitely did not serve this. Also, and I am sure it is only because it was the end of the day, the service was a little amiss.

Location was great for us and we wandered around outside the hotel on a number of occasions admiring the wonderful houses that are situated in this residential area of Beverly Hills.

One small thing that was a bit of a downer was the daily valet parking fee - $38.00! There is no parking in the surrounding area of the hotel so you really had to use it. Bearing in mind that we were there for 12 days (most people stay no longer that 3 or 4 nights) we felt that this could have been reduced. Also, if you are giving someone back their car three or four times a day getting a $5 tip each time, it would be nice if they remembered your car if not your name.

Lastly, and definitely worth a note, was the fantastic housekeeping service. They went completely beyond the call of duty by putting ice in the bucket at turndown, placing bookmarks in the correct page of our books and even sorting the bathroom out after my daughter had a minor flood whilst giving us a fashion show of her purchases! Thoroughly ‘well done’ BHH housekeeping.

Beverly Hills Hotel - we will be back on a regular basis. We had a fantastic time. Your staff, service, amenities and general ‘feel good’ ambience enabled us to have a wonderfully relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: If you get a chance, stay at this hotel. You will not regret it whatever room you get!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mollymena
TheBeverlyHillsHotel, General Manager at The Beverly Hills Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Mollymena,

Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review on your recent stay at The Beverly Hills Hotel. Our employees pride themselves on five star service, it is great to hear how much it made a difference in your stay with us. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with Bar Nineteen12 closing for those under 21 after 9pm. This is actually a national law and protects the safety of those under the legal drinking age.

Beverly Hills has so much to offer, I am glad you were able to wander around and discover the city! Thank you for providing your feedback on our parking policy. It is only through such feedback that we are able to improve continually on the service that we offer our guests.

I will pass along your kind words to our housekeeping team, they will be thrilled to know how their service made an impact on your stay. Thank you for visiting us and I am thrilled you will be back to visit us again. See you soon!

Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here during a tour of the west coast of America, we'd just flown in from San Fransisco and looked forward to our time at The Beverly Hill Hotel.

It is located in the midst of a residential area and is in quite lovely grounds with huge palm trees hiding the facade of the building. We arrived by hire-car and the valet/bellmen were very attentive which I always find a good first impression of the hotel. Into the building we went to be greeted by carol singers on the steps, terrific! Check in process was very simple and we were shown to our bungalow which is a short walk from the main building through some lovely gardens.

The room was spacious, light and I loved the decor, very in-keeping with where we were. We unpacked and did a little exploration, great souvenir shop downstairs and a terrific coffee shop with amazing baked goodies, got stuff in both!

Food was amazing, we had booked Xmas dinner and as you'd expect there were a few celebrities also in for their dinner, quite a unique experience having Vinny Jones at the next table! The dinner was excellent as was the service and whilst not the cheapest Xmas dinner I've ever had, was for sure a very enjoyable one.

Really enjoyed my time at this hotel and would definitely recommend to anyone visiting the area, even if it is only to have their French Toast for breakfast which is the most delicious breakfast dish I've had!

Room Tip: Bungalows are excellent.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
TheBeverlyHillsHotel, General Manager at The Beverly Hills Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear monaco7,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Beverly Hills Hotel. I am pleased you decided to stay at The Beverly Hills Hotel during your west coast tour and I’m thrilled you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your recommendation of our French Toast, it happens to be one of our most requested dishes!

We hope you will be back to visit in the near future.

san Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed at the BH Hotel from 10/25 to 10/28. Checked in at around 5 pm on the 25th and our room was not ready. Not a big deal, lots of apologies and several glassess of champagne offered and accepted-----then the strangest thing-----a total hotel blackout that lasted until 4 am. We were escorted to our room in semi-darkness and had dinner at the Polo Lounge off of the cold menu (the hotel picked up dinner due to the late check-in). So, a bit strange in the first 12 hours but after that things returned to normal. We had a fantastic room with a huge balcony on the 3rd floor. Breakfast every morning in the Polo Lounge was perfect and pool action every afternoon (85 and sunny the entire trip). The remodeled lobby is stunning and the level of service is impeccable. The hotel is also very quiet at night which makes for a perfect night of sleep. We will return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TheBeverlyHillsHotel, General Manager at The Beverly Hills Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear SGER,

We sincerely apologize for the power outage during your stay. Unfortunately, the outage covered the entire city of Beverly Hills. Rest assured, our engineering team worked diligently with the electric company to resolve the issue as soon as it was humanly possible.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your stay and the service was impeccable. I am pleased you will return and look forward to welcoming you back to the Beverly Hills Hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Westside
#3 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Montage Beverly Hills
Montage Beverly Hills
#8 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The Beverly Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!