“Great service, and my room was a comfortable cocoon”

Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
San Francisco
Reviewed July 2, 2005

Stayed at L'Ermitage in March '05. This was my second visit. The rooms there are the most comfortable I've ever stayed in. Their hotel brochure talks about "the luxury of technology" which sounds like public relations nonsense, but it is true. It's hard to explain, but they have all the details right. It is as if they had a team of ergonomic designers go over every inch of the place--touching surfaces--is this too rough? too soft? Is the stereo cabinet too high? too low? Does the desk drawer slide out smoothly enough? When I was in bed and reached for the light switch in the dark, it was right where my hand landed--no fumbling around.

Had a massage in the spa. A good treatment, but nothing extraordinary.

Front desk staff/valet/housekeeping all excellent.

Expensive valet parking, but what else is new?

Upon checking out, I was leaving to go to LAX to catch a flight to Mexico. I had the sort of heartstopping moment all travelers have now and then when I realized that I had misplaced my passport--did I leave it in my room? Was it in my rental car? Lost somewhere else in Los Angeles? The staff snapped to attention as if this were a drill they had prepared for: the bellboy went back upstairs to search my cleared-out room, the desk clerk had phone in hand ready to try to negotiate with the Mexican consulate if need be. Turns out I had packed it in my suitcase by mistake. I left L'Ermitage knowing that I had been taken care of by professionals, and knowing that I would return.

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills

Reviewed May 3, 2005

Just finished a 4-night stay at this hotel and it is still as good as it was two or three years ago when I was there last. The best feature for me is the rooftop pool and gym/spa. My room was large, well appointed and nicely decorated. The look is a little bit 1990's pseudo-Asian, but because the understated neutral fabrics are high quality, the whole effect is quite pleasing. The location (short walk to Rodeo Drive) and the concierge service are very good. The free car service and soft drinks in the mini bar are nice touches, but watch out for the outrageous long distance phone charges ($5.00 a minute!) I didn't eat there, so I cannot comment on the food.

• Stayed: May 2005
10  Thank LB of NYC
Reviewed January 5, 2005

Beautiful hotel - as far as the facility is concerned. Management - dreadful. The GM, Mr. Jack Naderkani, is certainly losing his touch after all of these years in Beverly Hills, what a shame. Service is certainly on a steep decline. Agree - Christine at the concierge desk is wonderful. Otherwise, I too will move to the Four Seasons - where the facility is quite nice and the service is superlative and consistent.

9  Thank joseandjames
Reviewed November 30, 2004

This is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are huge...bathrooms are fantastic! However....even though you have a 40" TV and a nice stereo sound system! Don't dare to turn them on.

I had my radio on low on a jazz station and had knocks on my door from management asking me to turn it down. If it had been any lower it would have been off! I watched a little TV...the same thing.

Also in Beverly Hills, be known that there are not to be anymore that 4 people in your room at any given time, so please don't have any friends stop by while you're in town visiting! Management came to my room and asked all that we're not staying the night to leave. How embarrassed I was!

I am a well seasoned traveler and I have stayed at the best hotels in the world. I have never been made to feel so cheap before! Especially for the price I was paying for my room! Beautiful hotel...not so friendly staff!

10  Thank JoshWoodson
New York, New York
Reviewed November 28, 2004

I've stayed at L'Ermitage on business several times a year for the past several years, and I'm sad to say that I've seen the service take a nosedive in that time. I'm seriously considering taking my business elsewhere. The rooms are AMAZING - huge and gorgeous with 40" TV, lights controlled by your remote control and to-die-for bathrooms. The complimentary high-speed internet access is also the mark of a world-class hotel that more luxury properties should be including with the price of the room. But here's my beef with L'Ermitage (and management, I hope you're reading):

If you're hungry and you order food in the bar area, good luck. It'll probably take at least half an hour to get what you've ordered, and I'm talking personal pizzas and quesadillas here, not steak. This is especially true late at night.

Also on the bar, what's up with your new hires? There are some gems that have been working in the bar for quite a while, but on my last trip, management seems to have brought some real head cases on board. One waitress (ponytail, braces) who we got stuck with every night was either completely hostile or unbelievably stupid. I literally had to ask where my drink was four times before I gave up. I would say, "Excuse me," and she would look dead at me and walk away without saying a word!

They don't actually call last call in the bar at the end of the night. I know this from having stayed there so much, so I never use the L'Ermitage bar after 10 anymore (instead opting for the Four Seasons bar, where the waitstaff is actually nice), but many of my friends have been burned. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but when you're on New York time, your clock is completely screwed up and you can't sense what time it is. If they do verbally call last call, it's only to the small group of people at the actual bar. What's the problem with having someone walk around to gently inform ALL patrons that it's last call?

Why does it always take me at least 20 minutes to get someone to take my drink order at the pool?

There have been times when I've waited up to half an hour to have a bellman sent up to my room. They're always super nice and friendly when they get there, but - why?

As a positive, I will say that I do love how so many staffers will call you by name and remember details of your last stay (granted, I stay there between 8-10 times a year, but it still makes you feel good).

So L'Ermitage management, here's the deal: I love your facility. I hate the service. And what makes it even worse is that I remember the days (circa 2000-2001) when your service was amazing. You have some very cool, professional bellmen, doormen and room service staff who are always going the extra mile and looking out for my needs (and Christine the concierge is amazing), but I don't feel like my needs are being looked out for on the hotel level. You've forgotten to focus on the customer, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. The Four Seasons is right down the street, and while the rooms might be smaller, the superior service is starting to call me.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 1, 2004

After carefully selecting the L'Ermitage based on reviews, we arrived for our one night stay and it was incredible!!

The doormen are fast, friendly and you don't have to wait for anything. If anything they are over-staffed, which is a rare occurance!

A doormen showed us to our room, showed us where everything was and how things worked. We were impressed by that, as well as the way our luggage was quickly brought up to our room by 3 bellman and very gently handled!

The room was amazing, we had a Garden Suite, the TV's were huge with surround sound, yet we heard nothing from any neighboring rooms. Two large bathrooms, with tvs as well, a big, wonderful jaccuzie tub and heated marble floors in the bathrooms.

We were very impressed by the large size of the room!
We had a huge bedroom area, large sitting area, two bathrooms, and a kitchen area stocked with lots of goodies.

The lights worked on a remote or switches, which made it very convenient to turn them off from bed. There was also a "mood lighting" option which was very nice.

The decor was very tastefull, and we had two romeo and juliet balconys which were lovely..

The best things about this hotel that really stuck out for me?

1. Room service. No 18% service charge, no 2.00 delivery charge. You pay what is listed on the menu!
The food was AMAZING, it was beautifully presented.

You can also eat ANYWHERE in the hotel 24 hours a day. If you wanted to eat on the roof, they will setup a table. (rooftop had an amazing 360 degree view of beverly hills with pool, tvs, private cabanas)

2. In the minibar/fridge, the soda and water is complimentary. They also had full-size liquers.
They re-stock it twice daily!

3. The fresh flowers and bed-time assortment of pasteries they bring at turn-down time, as well as a hand-signed card from the manager!

The service in this hotel is just amazing, perfect, it is better than any other hotel I have every stayed at, and we have stayed at many.. including ritz carlton, fairmonts... nothing I have been to can compare.

They really seem to care about the small details, which is what really gets me! And they seem to really value you want to stay at their hotel. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed my stay here my only regret was that I could not stay longer!!!

I highly HIGHLY reccomend this hotel, if you are going to disneyland even I would reccomend it.. much MUCH nicer than the disneyland resorts for the same price.

( we stayed at disneyland grand californian for 2 nights paid 800 a night for a suite with the concierge service, and the L'ermitage room was 832 per night)

One more thing, the L'ermitage has a town car which will take you within 3 miles and pick up later. It was SO CONVENIENT for shopping, we went to rodeo drive and beverly center, it was wonderful made us feel very safe and looked after. The town car is complimentary as well... awesome!

No snobby attitude at this hotel, just professional, fast, incredible attention to detail. YOU MUST TRY IT!

It is so luxerious, you will feel like a movie star.
(especially when you bump into one in the elevator!)

So impressed I wrote a letter to the management to thank them!

Oh and one more thing, they also had a full business center in our room, as well as business cards and stationary/fax sheets with my name on them with a direct phone number to our room. Amazing!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 11, 2004

I stayed here for one night last year. It doesn't look or feel like a glamourous hotel - more understated. I thought the service was fine. My neighbour came back to the hotel at 3am and proceeded to turn on his stereo very very loud. Immediately after I called concierge, I heard the neighbor's phone ring and the noise was turned off. The doormen and drivers were also friendly and helpful.

Room was OK, nothing fantastic or spectacular. Did have Aveda products but bathroom was just so so.

The Peninsula costs about the same, and I'll probably stay there next time, as they offer more food and services than L'ermitage which just has a small restaurant.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
West Hollywood
The LondonWeho at BeverlyHills
The LondonWeho at BeverlyHills
#2 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!