All reviews dressing area rooftop pool dressing room rodeo drive rooms are huge house car room service los angeles valet guys street noise moment you arrive four seasons exceptional service turn down service hollywood sign valet service every staff member
Reviewed May 20, 2012

The room was clean and very spacious. The service was superb. The hotel food was pricey but very good. The location wasn't the best in terms of walking around but it was quiet area. I would definitely go back.

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
LermitageBH1, Front Office Manager at Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2012

Dear Amie0529,

Thank you for sharing your experience at L’Ermitage Beverly Hills with your fellow travelers. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Beverly Hills.

L’Ermitage Beverly Hills

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed at the L'Ermitage in Beverly Hills after much investigation into plush 5 star hotels in LA where we could chill out at the end of our holiday. We chose this as it looked nice, was conveniently located on a quiet street and had lots of brilliant reviews on TripAdvisor.

It's located within about 10 mins walk (yes, I know nobody walks in LA!) from some lovely restaurants in the area and about 5 mins drive from the Beverly Center, so a good location.

The valet guys were very friendly and efficient. Overall the valet park facility was better than the W in San Fran where we had also stayed on this trip and really the way a valet service should be run (well done guys!)

On check-in, I had the same problem a number of people have mentioned on here. We booked through American Express Platinum Travel Services because we had the chance for a room upgrade on arrival. We could have booked less expensively through Hotels.com but for a minor difference in price I thought it was worth the chance of an upgrade. We booked a Deluxe room with the hope of an upgrade to a Premier room.

While the friendly staff on Reception checked us in, they advised us that we were not eligible for an upgrade as Amex had booked us on the wrong package type. They said they would upgrade us at their own discretion but I may wish to take this up with Amex to see what had happened. I thought this was very nice of them but was a somewhat embarrassing conversation for me (you don't like to sound cheap when you're paying these prices for a 5 star hotel! No thanks to Amex!)

The Reception staff kindly escorted us to our room and showed us around, which was a nice touch.

Shortly after our luggage arrived.

We then had a call from Reception apologising that the mini-bar had been emptied of all alcohol on request of the planned occupant for that room (they had shifted rooms around to accommodate us so we had taken someone else's room!) It was not a big deal as we didn't need the alcohol.

Amusingly, there was a nice plate of fruit and some chocolate-covered strawberries, but with a letter addressed to the lady who was supposed to be occupying the room! We soon after received another knock on the door as they delivered a welcome letter addressed to me and a plate of fruit! Funny!

The room was comfortable and reminded me of the Ritz-Carlton in Singapore. It had a nice walk-in closet/changing room which lead through to the huge bathroom. The shower was one of the most powerful I've ever used, to the point it could sting a little! Disappointingly, the sealant around the edge of the shower tray was lose and needed repair. Some evidence of a lack of attention to detail.

The in-room entertainment was a little odd. The tv, in a cupboard in the wall, was connected to an amp and two speakers but only worked with that when you played a dvd. Normal tv sound came through the tv only. Personally I would have had the tv set up to play all sound through the amp and speakers and also had a one-touch remote to make it all easier to operate. As it stood, you needed to figure out how to switch everything on and get it all on the right input to work (luckily I am very familiar with a/v kit so it wasn't an issue for me).

The balcony doors were not great and let a breeze in. At night this could be chilly when the wind got up but the thick curtains tended to block most of it so we didn't complain about this.

A nice touch was to get 2 or 3 bottles of free water each day - amazing how many hotels charge you for this. The free wifi was also good (as many devices as you wished).

We made good use of the roof-top pool, which was great, but could use some more sunbeds and a waiter to take orders. The pool was heated however, which was a good thing as when the wind was up, it got a bit chilly out.

As it was the weekend I was unable to call Amex to complain, however, I sent them an email and got a response on Monday. They apologised and were looking into this issue and claimed to have called the hotel to sort out the upgrade. I informed them via return email that the hotel had already sorted the upgrade so Amex had done nothing in reality. Added to that, the hotel's own website now had an offer of a Deluxe room with breakfast for two each day at a lower price than I had paid for a Superior with no breakfast!

Amex then agreed to comp a certain amount towards breakfast for me but I pointed out that I had already missed 3 days of breakfast. They then credited me £100 to my credit card to compensate for the missed breakfasts.

Breakfast was served in a nice little courtyard area that caught the sun and was shielded from the wind (although if you're seated near the fountain/waterfall it gets very noisy). I went for an omelette but had to substitute the bacon/pork etc for veggie stuff being vegetarian. The waiter arranged a fruit bowl, some toast and some potatoes instead (I wasn't clear if these were substitutions or just came with the omelette anyway). I did find the waiter rather brusque and impolite but didn't say anything.

On my breakfast visit the following day, I had another issue with the same waiter. Despite having substituted the meat for other items the day before, this time he insisted he would have to charge me extra for some of the substitutions so rather than argue, I declined. The table was very wobbly so I asked him to fix this and he simply walked off with absolutely no acknowledgement whatsover! When he returned he did try to fix it and I mentioned my surprise as I was not even sure he had heard me before. No apology, no comment. I wondered if he had gotten up on the wrong side of bed today! To make matters worse, my wife then found a hair in the omelette we were sharing. The waiter took her plate (leaving my half of the omelette on my plate still) and walked off without a word again! He returned later with a small omelette for her (and did not replace my half which I had not touched since my wife had found the hair). Not even an apology again!

Enough was enough - it takes a lot to make me angry but now I was losing it. I called the Maitre'd/head waiter to explain what had happened. He was very apologetic and offered to comp our breakfast (but I explained Amex had already paid for it so that didn't matter). I suggested this staff needed some training in how to serve as this was not the kind of service expected from a 5 star hotel. He handled it very well which was more than could be said about the waiter. Needless to say, I think the waiter was told to avoid our table as he stayed indoors the rest of the time!

Overall, what should have been a great experience was marred by one of the rudest waiters I've ever had the displeasure of encountering along with the farce of booking through Amex Platinum. Amex subsequently gave the me the £100 credit and told me they would look into the issue with the Travel Services department but that this could take 28 days for a reply! Not sure why it takes this long and I'm not holding my breath. If I don't get a satisfactory response I will be cancelling my Platinum cards which already cost £450 a year! Watch out if you book through them!

The L'Ermitage management did email to apologise after I filled in the online survey form they sent me after the stay but I was surprised to not have been offered a complimentary night's stay on a subsequent visit. Poor handling again in my opinion and I doubt we will be returning.

I hope this tale makes anyone thinking of booking this hotel particularly through Amex Platinum Travel Services, a little more cautious and well-prepared. Hope your experience is better than mine!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
6  Thank Baij_Patel
LermitageBH1, Front Office Manager at Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Dear Baij_Patel,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review and post pictures of your recent visit to L'Ermitage Beverly Hills. Thank you for your compliments about our valet service, complimentary guest amenities, heated rooftop pool and the proactive management response. Please accept my apologies for your experience in the restaurant with our breakfast service. I am pleased that our restaurant manager was able to intercede and rectify the situation in a professional manner.

Your experience with the reservation process is surprising; American Express Travel is typically very consistent and accurate with all their bookings. I apologize that the amenity card in your room was not changed until after you had been upgraded. We really appreciate the feedback about our in-room technology as we look to enhance the guest experience.

Please know that without your input we would not be able to improve the service in our hotel. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

L’Ermitage Beverly Hills

Reviewed May 6, 2012

We have stayed at L'Ermitage whenever we are in Beverly Hills for the past 20 years. It is the only place that we would stay. The rooms are wonderful---very large, airy, built with light colored woods. The bathroom is very large. The personnel are outstanding both at the front desk and at the concierge desk. Christine Grimm at the concierge desk is truly outstanding and we feel like she is almost a member of the family. Breakfasts (although expensive) are always a treat especially sitting outside in the enclosed court yard.
The hotel is known for its discrete elegance which is why many movie stars and singing artists stay at L'Ermitage.

Room tip: better views facing the front of the hotel. quieter on higher floors
Date of stay: June 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
LermitageBH1, Front Office Manager at Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Dear Savvytravelers2,

Thank you for your loyalty to L'Ermitage Beverly Hills for so many years. We really appreciate your patronage and this lovely review that you have written above. We will make sure our Chef Concierge, Christine Grimm, is recognized for her efforts. I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back on your next stay.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Had a very pleasant stay at the elemeritage and would have liked to spend a day or two more at this very exclusive hotel.
The atmosphere is great, all the staff is very helpful and focused on every detail, the rooms are very comfortable and quite spacy and it was very difficult not enjoy every minute in this luxury hotel.
On top of this the location is very good

• Trip type: Traveled on business
LermitageBH1, Front Office Manager at Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Dear MFleischer,

Thank you for sharing your photos and review of our hotel with the travel community. We hope you do have more time to relax and enjoy all that our property has to offer on your next trip to Beverly Hills.

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 25, 2012

this hotel has been reviewed 200+ times so not much i can add that would add value.
we stayed for 3 nights starting march 31st from Ireland en route to Bora Bora.
the hotel is very classy. we saw an actress ( remain nameless) in the gym when we were having a run on the treadmill one early morning)
the concierge is excellent organising trips. we did the TMZ tour! they arranged our dinner one night at Mr Chow and lunch one afternoon at Chateau Marmont ( saw an actor get in the lift)
i told them we were recently married and we had a bottle of champagne in the room complementary on arrival. we only paid for a basic room but got a room upgrade - fourth floor overlooking Burton Way.
one other thing to remember rooms at this hotel ARE MASSIVE. perhaps twice the size of other hotels . they are gorgeous
brilliant time in LA , brilliant hotel .

Room tip: ask for a high room looking over beverly hills
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank robertadams

Dear Robertadams,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your compliments and hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.