“I was expecting good, got better”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Grill on the Alley

Grill on the Alley
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill on the Alley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 320 Restaurants in Beverly Hills
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Beverly Hills
Cross street: Wilshire
Description: Reservations strongly recommended.
Bakersfield
“I was expecting good, got better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Probably more of a 4.5, but I dont have that option...

I honestly was nervous coming here. I was taking a chance on this place with a new, umm, friend, so I was really just hoping for good to make an impression but what I got was pretty close to great. I honestly wanted to take her to Mastros, but I made plans so late that that wasnt an option. I will say up front that Mastros is prob my favorite steak ever and The Grill on the Alley was right there with it. I cant be mad at this place as they delivered a fantastic steak! My date got something fish and she loved it saying it was one of the best fish plates she had ever had (sorry I dont recall what it was, have gone on vacation since then).

So, the steak was on par with the other great steakhouses Ive been to, the sides were nothing complain or rave about. What I wanted to draw attention to was the special salad for the night...it was an Heirloom Tomato salad and was absolutely outstanding! I believe they comped us a dessert (the brownie I believe), while good, neither of us are big dessert fans, so it wasnt anything to boast about, but I recall it was good.

And I wish I could remember the wine we got, but it was a Shiraz. It was very good.

The reason for the 4 instead of 5...the old fashioned pre-dinner drink was a little watered down (or not enough rye) and the blood orange martini was super sweet. Our primary server was an older gentlemen, and while friendly, wasnt really around much. The younger guy backing him up was outstanding though.

Those complaining about the cost of the place, go to freakin Outback....its a quality steakhouse with prices on par of every steakhouse across the country, sheesh...

• Visited September 2012

Toronto, Canada
“Good service, massive portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

The Grill on the Alley was recommended by our concierge, and he made reservations for us. It was clear we were outsiders when we arrived, since we were ignored by the hosts for 10 minutes while they chatted and hugged with people that seemed like real regulars. The wait staff was attentive and knowledgable. The food portions were far too big, but the taste was typical and good for a steakhouse. If you're looking for a predictable steak I'd say this place is a safe bet.

Great Falls, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“pretty average considering the price tag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Menu is pretty average. No surprises or innovative California cuisine here. Prices in my opinion are beyond the scope of the cuisine, frankly. But I must admit the late evening hostess was a delight and the reason we ate there.

Visited August 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic restaurant - thank you to the owner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband booked this restaurant as a surprise on our holiday to celebrate a special occasion and everything about it was lovely.

Food was great and the prices were good. My husband had told them about us celebrating when reserving a table and they gave us a free dessert which was such a nice end to a lovely meal.

But, the ultimate highlight of the meal was when my husband saw the owner and realised who he was. A very famous person (ex-footballer) who made my husband act like an excited 5 year old!! The owner (I don't want to give the name away) was told about our special occasion and was also received a complimentary glass of wine.

My husband hadn't stopped talking about it since!

Santa Barbara
“The noise, the noise!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

This smallish Beverly Hills restaurant is attractive but is so noisy that it is almost imposssible to have a conversation. The food is just so so, the wait staff slow and cheerless..Dinner for two with one glass of wine each is about $140.00. Sincer there are a lot of better restaurants in the area in about the same price range, I'm sorry we picked this one.

• Visited August 2012