“Great food and ambiance” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Il Pastaio

Il Pastaio
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Pastaio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 318 Restaurants in Beverly Hills
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Beverly Hills
Cross street: Brighton Way
Valley Stream, New York
“Great food and ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Came from NY to visit my sister-in-law, who lives in Cali. It was a beautiful evening, so we sat outside. The menu was amazing, so much to choose from. The wait staff was very friendly and accommodating. We had a large table next to us, that were a lot of fun. I will definitely go back next time I'm in Cali.

Visited November 2013

• Indonesian first
Santa Barbara, California
“O.M.G.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We love to travel and love to eat, and after spending the day in LA (him work, me play) we were really looking forward to a romantic dinner at Il Pastaio before heading back up the coast to Santa Barbara. It started out well, with a wonderful server and two glasses of quite nice Prosecco. We followed that with a bottle of the "wine of the month," a Napa syrah, which started out rough but opened up. It tasted more french and less Napa, but that is beside the point. We shared a grilled mushroom salad, which was also lovely, served with arugula, shaved cheese and a lemon dressing. Top notch. That is where the good ended and the truly bizarre began.

Let me state first that in my 41 years of life, I have only sent back food in restaurants a total of 3 times (including this one). I am an agreeable person, and this is actually my first bad review on trip advisor. I ordered a special, a new york strip. I enjoy meat rare, and also enjoy cooking and grilling, so I know what properly cooked rare should be. To ensure the meat is rare enough, I often order it "blue". My significant other ordered a seared ahi steak. The meals arrived, and I could tell just from pressing on the meat with a fork that it was overcooked. I sliced into it and it was medium rare at best. I gave my S.O. a bite, and he said it tasted good, but agreed with me that it was very overcooked. I was willing to eat it and let it go, but the server came back and also noticed it and convinced me that they could make a new one quickly, so I agreed to send it back. All was well for a few moments until a woman came out to our table with my plate, the meat had been sliced in half through the thickness, to display the rarest part of the meat, leaving it butterflied open on the plate. She asked me how I wanted it cooked, and I was really flustered--I have never been accosted at a restaurant or made to feel badly about my food choices. At this point I was terribly upset because it was making a scene. She would not let it go. She said "that's what you ordered" as I stared at a piece of medium rare meat flayed open to view the only pink/rare part of the entire thing. I told her to put it down and I would eat it. She kept arguing with me. Finally my S.O. said with authority, to put the plate down, at which time she did. Then the waiter came back and profusely apologized and said something about the manager in the kitchen, etc. etc. He was horrified, and ended up comping the meal, which I could not eat because I was too traumatized. I ate a few bites of the ahi instead, which was nice (although also a tad overcooked). I cannot believe that a restaurant would treat a customer in this way. Whoever thinks that causing a scene in a restaurant, reducing a paying customer to tears has a few things to learn. We will definitely not be back to Il Pastaio, and the next time we go to Beverly Hills, we will be headed to Spago, where we had one of the most amazing meals a few months ago. I don't care how trendy a restaurant is, the first order of business should be providing good service and well prepared food. I have traveled all over the world and eaten in restaurants of all caliber and Michelin stars, and I have never been treated like this. I am still in disbelief.

The best thing about this whole experience was watching the people in their Bentleys drive by. The people/car watching was fun, and the outside tables are nice.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Profkim33
Beverly Hills, California
“The most "in" lunch place in Beverly Hills”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

The sidewalk tables are overflowing with beautiful women and would be 1 per centers at lunch every day. The pastas are perfect and the service impeccable. It should be on the "must see" list if visiting Beverly Hills. Inside, the tables are so close together you have to speak in muffled tones not to be overheard.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Orlando, Florida
“A Perfect Italian Evening in Beverly Hills”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

When my party of five arrived on time for our reservation on a busy Friday evening, I was surprised to find it was put on the wrong date on the restaurant's computer, so it appeared that I didn't have a reservation. (They were able to pull it up by my phone number on a different date.) I originally thought that I may have made a mistake, but it later turned out when I returned home and saw my records that it was the restaurant's error. I had been scheduled a month too early, as I live in Florida and was visiting California.

This could have been a difficult situation but it was not, as the lovely hostess understood that there was a mistake and got us a perfect table outside. She handled it professionally (I was nice, too) and we had a wonderful evening at Il Pastio.

Every appetizer and entree' was delicious. Everyone in my party enjoyed the food and the experience, which was saved thanks to the gracious young hostess.

New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Italian Food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

I am a Italian food fanatic. Hands down, the angel hair pasta that I had was the best ever. Our waiter was kind and professional. I would say the overall service was A+++!!

The only con about this place was the it was very packed and clustered, but if you have no issue with that, then its a must go.