“Food: Ten. Service: Three.”

Polo Lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
Polo Lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 333 Restaurants in Beverly Hills
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Beverly Hills
Cross street: Sunset Boulevard & Crescent Ave
Description: The Polo Lounge has been the favorite breakfast spot and watering hole for generations of stars and Hollywood deal-makers. Guests enjoy indoor and outdoor seating for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, and late-night suppers. Lunch and dinner are served with piano accompaniment alternating with light jazz on the patio during the long summer nights. Jazz music is also featured during Sunday Brunch. In the evening guests can come to relax and enjoy one of our many specialty cocktails or one of our old favorites.
Reviewed May 12, 2013

OK. The food here is good (and at prices that one would expect at this Beverly Hills landmark hotel and restaurant).

The service, however, was shockingly bad.

So, imagine this: a server breaks a wine glass on the table when wine is being served.

Zero apology.

And, the server appeared to want to do the minimum work to even clean up the table (he asked me, for example (a person whose wine glass was not broken but was within the zone of the flying broken glass): do you want a new glass of wine? Gee, I'm thinking, I'll just take it on faith that no shard of clear glass made it into my white wine.

While I acknowledge that some kind of accommodation is not an absolute requirement, my experience is that for a mishap like this a minor accommodation on the bill (like perhaps a free drink) would have been a normal thing to do even at the most basic of restaurants anywhere in the entire universe ever in existence. But, nothing given, done, intimated or said at all (and since I was a guest of someone else I didn't pursue myself it at the time)

The Polo Lounge apparently stands outside any such universal custom and practice. Bully and congrats to them for taking such a principled position.

A different server, while she is traversing the dining room, inadvertently hit the back of my chair and me. No worries. Not a big deal. And, no statement of normal etiquette such as "I'm sorry".

Looks like the server staff needs take that seminar entitled "Customer Service In Very Expensive Beverly Hills Restaurants".

3  Thank Walt M
TheBeverlyHillsHotel, General Manager at Polo Lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear wm90046,

Please accept my sincere apologies for your recent experience at the Polo Lounge. We value and appreciate your feedback and apologize that the service provided to you did not meet your expectations. The Polo Lounge is known across the world for its tremendous service, I can assure you your recent experience does not reflect the standards in which we pride ourselves on here at the Polo Lounge.

Please be aware that our Restaurant Manager Pepe DeAnda will be contacting you shortly to discuss a resolution via the Tripadvisor message center. Again, I do apologize and hope you will return so we can provide you with the five star service we are known for.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We ate there while guests in the hotel just off a flight from the UK and were really only snacking. We were seated near the piano where a Bubleish crooner huskily went without break through his repertoire. It does intrude on the mood of the dinner.
My wife ordered a McCarthy salad which turned out to be a composition of the finely diced components mixed up by the waiter in the dressing. Served in a bowl, it was not intended to be consumed as a conventional salad. She did, however quite enjoy it. My medium rare Wyagyu burger was exactly and competently what I was after following the flight. We shared a local Rose - not quite up with the French style but enjoyable
The restaurant itself is stylishly presented with plenty of room between tables and in the booths. It leads to an outside courtyard area where we also had breakfast. A wonderful atmosphere and very switched on staff made it an enjoyable experience. Freshly squeezed carrot and orange juices well accompanied my huge omelet and my wife's corned beef Hash which included black potato and large chunks of corned beef amongst other things.
We went there as a start to a cross USA trip and it reminded us both of the American habit of huge servings.

Dear JohnR63,

Thank you for visiting the Polo Lounge on your recent trip to Los Angeles. I am pleased you and your wife enjoyed your meals and the overall atmosphere of the Polo Lounge.

We hope you will be back to visit us again next time you visit Los Angeles.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I took my son and my mom for lunch at The Polo Lounge in mid-April during the Seattle Spring Break on a Wednesday. It was my 3rd time and their 1st time. You must request a table on the patio in your reservation if you want to sit outside (which is where the celebrities sit). We had a gorgeous table and the most delightful waiter ever! We were treated like royalty and my 14 year old son, my 70 year old mother and me all were happy and entertained. It was a little chilly so the staff turned on the over-head heaters and we were suddently the perfect temperature. The food is delicious and a bit expensive but there is no other place like the Polo Lounge - you are paying for the experience. As we were having lunch, the very handsome Liam Hemsworth (The Hunger Games) came in and sat right behind us. My son was so excited but he acted cool and didn't stare or make a fuss - that's what the Polo Lounge is all about - tradition, style and decorum. A girl came over and somehow managed to get to Mr. Hemsworth's table and ask him for a photo but a staff member came over, waited quietly, and when she was done he gently took her aside and informed her that her actions were inappropriate and she scurried off. Then he apologized to Mr. Hemsworth and assured him it wouldn't happen again. The whole thing was handled with such polish and class that it was fun to experience. And our table felt like we got the same special care as Mr. Hemsworth's table. I figure $50 a person is what I would pay for a stupid "stars' homes tour" and instead, for $50 a person we had a glorious meal outside on an incredible patio with 5+ star service and celebrity guests. It was the highlight of our 3 day vacation to the Los Angeles area. My family will never forget it and we hope to come back.

TheBeverlyHillsHotel, General Manager at Polo Lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Heidi1999,

If a chlid is happy, then his mom (and grandma!) are happy. Sounds like your son had a lunch he will never forget in the Polo Lounge. That's the goal and we are thrilled to know this. We hope to see you and your family again in the near future ... and you never know who may sit next to you!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We enjoyed setting and having cocktails while star watching. The wait staff was wonderful, the atmosphere great, and the drinks good. They are a little pricey but hey it is Beverly Hills! We walked around the hotel to get a feel for it and saw a couple of stars in the natural habitate. We had dinner earlier at the Ivy and jumped in a cab and headed here. It was a nice way to end a great day.

Dear Flyaway0921,

Yes ... there's a reason why the Polo Lounge is known as "Hollywood's commissary!" Thank you for reviewing your recent visit to the Polo Lounge. It's great to know that you enjoyed the overall atmosphere and service provided to you. Please come back and visit us again for some more star-gazing.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is not my wife and my normal hang, so she was a bit apprehensive going here. We arrived @ 2:30 for a late lunch. Restaurant was pretty busy, we got a table on the patio outside, which was absolutely beautiful. The waiter greeted us by name, (we were not hotel guests, just eating lunch - nice touch). He suggested a Bellini for my wife which was delicious. Lunch was off the charts. Very relaxed atmosphere and nothing too high-brow. We vistined the gift shop and bought a certificate for our in laws to eat at a later time. The staff was so nice, and really made the experience wonderful.

Dear JeffLowney,

I appreciate your candor about your apprehension at first... and I'm thrilled to hear that you and your wife were pleasantly surprised! So glad you gave us a chance and discovered that more than anything, we want to make our guests feel comfortable and well cared for in a relaxing environment. I hope your in-laws enjoy it just as much. Thanks again and we hope to see you again in the near future.