“OUTSTANDING FOOD & SERVICE”
Review of Scarpetta Los Angeles - CLOSED

Scarpetta Los Angeles
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Beverly Hills
Cross street: Wilshire Blvd
Description: Scarpetta is currently undergoing interior renovations and will launch as a brand new restaurant concept in June. Throughout April and May, guests may enjoy dining service on the covered patio overlooking the beautiful Beverly Canon Gardens. Scarpetta Patio will be open Monday through Saturday from 6 to 10 pm, beginning Wednesday, April 13th.
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is one of the best restaurants in all of LA. Every course is delectable. The pasta is fresh and melts in your mouth. Selections are varied and service is best in the biz. Chef often comes out at dinner to talk to guests and even shaved parmesan cheese on our pasta dish. Brunch is also EXTREMELY good, but dinner is my fav!!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Absolutely love staying at the Montage in Beverly Hills and am a frequent visitor. Tried Scarpetta for the first time recently and came away quite disappointed. Simply put, there are many better alternatives for Italian food in LA at much more reasonable prices. WIne list is stupidly priced, and sommelier has a difficult time as a result recommending anything approaching reasonable. Signature items like bread basket and spaghetti were good but not great, and fish entree was decidedly average. My sense of this place is that it is mostly for foreign guest or first dates where someone is trying to impress. Service was friendly but not as professional as it should have been for this caliber restaurant. Glad I tried to get it out of my system but would not run back.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

So we had to go to Scarpetta to try the spaghetti, which was very good and worth the hype. The dish that we really loved was the creamy polenta...very delicious!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I've been a fan of Scott Conant for years -- and have attempted (and rather well done I think) some of his recipes, including the famous Pasta (almost always fresh made "spaghetti" or tonorelli) with Tomato and Basil. However, until last night I've never been to any of his restaurants to try it (and compare my version to his). I'm glad I ventured the LA city traffic during rush hour (ugh) and made my way (without mishap!) to the Montage Hotel in Beverly Hills.

The atmosphere is very elegant and cozy feeling. As is my norm, I decided to sit at the bar and have my meal there, and I'm glad I did! I'm sure the dining staff is terrific, but London, the bartender (and aspiring actress, I kid you not -- her first movie was just released 2 weeks ago) and my server was terrific -- I mean, really terrific! Great service and just the right amount of interaction ...

So, after consulting the menu I said, ah damn -- let's just do the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairing -- and told London, just make sure I get to try the Polenta w/ wild mushroom ragu and of course, the Tomato and Basil Pasta! Chef Freddie (the local exec chef) started me off with a duo of "sashimi" fish with amazing delicate Italian flavors ...

The next course was the Polenta with wild mushroom -- awesome, and such creamy polenta I've never had anywhere, with a good mushroom flavor (very intense, and served separately so you can put just as much juice as you want) ...

Finally, the third course -- yes -- the Tomato and Basil pasta. It was EVERYTHING I thought it would be, and yes, better than mine (but only a little bit though). I figured out a few things to do differently in mine -- but meanwhile, it was one of the most perfect pasta dishes I've had in the world. Really! It's subtle and perfection.

Next was a lovely Turbot -- perfectly cooked.

Finally, a perfect duck breast was served with some roasted Brussels sprout leaves.

I did get the bread basket, and yes -- that was awesome too!

Next time, I think a 4 course dinner would have been fine! I was stuffed but happy!

Now, why not 5 stars? I rate restaurants on the relative greatness / $$$. Scarpetta is NOT cheap -- so it's in the world of Paul Boucuse in Lyon, Alain Ducasse's MiX or Plaza Athene in Paris, etc. Honestly, compared to those places -- it's just a little bit off the mark. Don't get me wrong, I'll eat at Scarpetta's any chance I can - -and already am planning on trying the Vegas location when I'm there in a month.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

great Italian food with amazing service, and knowledgeable soms. The dishes are authentic Italian, and the wine selection is very good, weighted toward Italian, as one would expect.