“Never Again. Cramped. Staff Unhelpful”

Maison 140 Beverly Hills
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
New York, NY
Reviewed November 28, 2004

Cramped quarters here with an unhelpful staff. Your rooms look out onto a parking lot for the most part and your bed is so close to the door that you feel as though you are sleeping in the hall. The staff were not very pleasant to deal with and it took them about 20 minutes to check me out. Granted the strip on my credit card did not work properly but how hard is it to just punch in teh number? They also seemed to have a bit of an additude about it all. Location is great however I would not recommend staying here.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed November 28, 2004

I have never loved a hotel more... I have stayed at Maison 140 on three separate occasions. I am a lover of ecclectic, artistic hotels and do a ton of research before settling on a place to stay. I found Maison 140 on-line. Their web-site does a beautiful job of displaying the atmosphere created at this unique hotel. The hotel is small (converted from a lovely old Beverly Hills home) and extremely sexy. Red bulbs light up the tiny old elevator that takes you to your room. The small bar and hotel halls are filled with music by artists such as Radiohead and Damion O. The rooms vary in jewled tones and some feature four-poster beds. In other words, this is not your parents hotel. It is young and moody and a little edgy... Perfect for a romantic stay in - my boyfriend and I always opt for the "Orient Express Package" (which features truly fabulous chinese food). I've thought that it might be a fun stay-over for a group of good friends, but I'm a little selfish about this lovely place. I want to keep it as my personal retreat!

• Stayed: June 2004
1  Thank jgercke
Reviewed November 22, 2004

This is an elegant little hotel in the heart of Beverly Hills. Arriving late on an international flight, we were upgraded to a deluxe room, which was spacious and clean, with a vintage tiled bathroom and impeccable bed linens. Sleeping in proved to be difficult however, especially as we were very jet-lagged. Every morning, despite the "do not disturb" sign on our door, indefatigable housekeeping knocked anyway and energetically thumped around in the rooms next door. Service was indifferent, with a very expensive continental breakfast (skip it, Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf is right around the corner on Rodeo Drive). All in all, Maison 140 was a good deal for the location and amenities, but I would not recommend it if you are short on sleep.

3  Thank Edavis
Doylestown, PA
Reviewed October 24, 2004

We stayed there for a night and found the room to be VERY small(ie, 10x10) with no furniture to put clothes into. The room is probably fine for a 'quickie' but is totally unsuitable for any long term stay. Also the bathroom had no shampoo which is a standard for almost any hotel these days. Also the hallways painted black lend an air of darkness to the entire hotel.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 29, 2004

Bohemian. Very nice!

Charges $10.95 per day! for internet access -or- free for 10 minutes in the lobby. I use my laptop constantly and am disappointed the charges became evident only on checkin. Their web site does not mention there are charges for Internet access. Hotel is -not- suitable for business.

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 25, 2004

Stayed at the Maison 140 in late August, 2004. I loved it. It is decorated very cool, and the bar is a great place to have a before bed drink. The staff was very helpful and friendly, and upgraded our Quen bed to a King at no extra charge.Great location, easy to get to many places, walk to Rodeo drive. Would recommend it to anyone. When i return to LA, I will stay here.

1  Thank vbsista
San Diego, CA
Reviewed August 29, 2004

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at! Upon arival they placed us in a very small room that had wallpaper that was peeling and a sink that was clogged and no hand towels. We then tried to call the front desk but the phone was broke! When I went down stairs to talk to the front desk, I found out they had over booked the larger rooms of wich we had reserved a month pior and then offered no appology and then still tried to charge us for the larger room the next day. Overall the staff was exteremy rude and unacomadating. We also found out the bath tub was completly clogged and when we called and ask them to send someone to fix it no one ever came. There are much better hotels in the same price range only a block away.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member