“Excellent Stay for My Mother's Early Birthday Present”

Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed April 10, 2013

It was my mother's first visit to the US and a friend recommended that we stay at the Beverly Wilshire. This trip was her early birthday present and it ranks as one of the memorable and enjoyable trips - due in very large part to the hotel. Service throughout is excellent. The room is not the most modern but it is very comfortable, spacious, has lots of closet space and a large bathroom. Location is unrivalled - right in the centre of Beverly Hills, across the road from Rodeo Drive and with many restaurants nearby. Would definitely stay here again if we return to LA and highly recommend it to my family and friends.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,034)

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We travelled to the west coast of America at the end of March visiting Los Angeles, Las Vegas and San Francisco. We stayed at the Beverly Wilshire for 5 nights whilst in LA and found this to be the best hotel of our stay. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty by the staff - in fact every member of staff that we came into contact with said hello and were friendly even if we passed them in the corridor. The hotel was extremely clean, tidy and had a high standard of decor. Our room was delightful and we had a balcony overlooking the swimming pool. We couldn't fault the room for cleanliness and the bed was extremely comfortable meaning that we had an excellent night sleep. We used the swimming pool and sun loungers - again all of which were clean, tidy and manned by attentive friendly staff. We had breakfast at the hotel several times and the food was delicious and the portions sizes were generous. We found that this hotel concentrated on the small details which included a complimentary newspaper each day and a good selection of spa products in the bathroom which were regularly replenished. The location of the hotel was exceptional and we thoroughly enjoyed our time in Beverly Hills and LA. We would whole heartedly recommend this hotel to anyone else. The only thing that they could improve on would be the selection of meals on offer in the restaurants for vegetarians as the menu focus was very much on meat. We did visit one of the bars on our first evening and enjoyed a cocktail and bar snacks.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra and upgrade to a room with a balcony overlooking the swimming pool
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Location:
good location at the start of Rodeo Drive

General:
unimpressed; forget about Pretty Woman

Rooms:
We received a free upgrade to the 'recently refurbished' part of the hotel. Good sized rooms, however outdated with non matching furniture, an extremely loud air con and an old fashioned bathroom - what must the other rooms look like (i.e. the ones in the non-refurbished part)?

Bathroom:
big bathrooms but old fashioned

Service:
We had drinks in the bar one night and got asked within 5 mins by 3-4 waiters if they could serve us. We thought that was a bit too much, especially as we then had to wait with our order when we were ready.

Others:
Valet parking is USD 45/day - park in one of the parkings around the corner and you can get it cheaper (approx. USD 20/day) or even free if Sat to Sun

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
BevWilHotel, Manager at Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed our ideal location, right at the base of Rodeo drive but I did want to take this opportunity to apologize for your disappointment with the guest room as well as the cost of the parking.

We have a number of different room configurations with different designs and I am truly sorry the one you stayed in did not meet your expectations.

Please do feel free to reach out to me directly should you wish to discuss your stay in greater detail. I would certainly appreciate that opportunity.

Meredith Macfarlane
Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is one of the few 5 star hotels in the Beverly Hills area. If you want to be in this area and on walking distance from the upscale shops around Rodeo Drive, choose this hotel.
The hotel consists of two buildings : the original of classic design on Wilshire Blvd and a new modern tower discreetly build behind and connected to the old one through a bridge on the second floor and crossing the main car entrance.
The lobby, reception and 2 restaurants are in the old building with all the ambience and elegance you would expect. The pool and Spa is in the new tower, the first one beeing small and the second beeing average OK for a 5 star hotel.
We had a suite composed of 2 very spacious rooms, nicely furnished with everything you would expect. The bed was of exceptional comfort.
The bathroom, though large and elegant, lacked the separation of the W.C. as would have been expected.
As usual in Four Season's properties the service was outstanding. WIFI worked very well.
In general I would say it is an average 5 star hotel, with an exceptional service, in a period elegant building (if you get a room in the old part ) and with the best location if you intend to walk to the shops nearby.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is another elegant property that is now part of the Four Seasons umbrella. The hotel is elegant and steps from Rodeo Drive. The location is incredible.

The rooms again could use freshening up. They were dreary and drab. The spa, however, was the most beautiful spa that I have ever visited. It was just stunning and serene. How could I not like a spa that has very thing chocolate imbedded with raisins? The treatment was good but could have been better. The spa is VERY expensive. The Amex platinum credit of $100 barely covered any service. I had a 30 minute foot massage and still had to pay $15 which is ridiculous. But it was beautiful.

The pool is old world Hollywood and elegant. The staff could not be more gracious. When I realized that I had forgotten a scrunchie for my hair in the jacuzzi, the staff member immediately, found one for me. Above and beyond service is clearly their motto.

Breakfast is at the Blvd. and it is clearly, a powerhouse room and expensive. The Amex platinum credit is for $80 and we needed it for two without ordering anything outrageous. It was delicious. The Blvd. also has an adorable candy bar with homemade treats which are for sale by the bag. Sampling is free. I highly, recommend it.

Again, the Amex amenity was not in the room and was only delivered to the room after I called and after we left for dinner. It defeated the purpose of having a bite when we arrived.

It is also ridiculous that The Four Seasons charges for internet for more than one device. Even cheap motels realize there is usually, more than one person in a room.

The service

Overall, I really liked the property but I think it needs a bit of tweaking. In my opinion, the Four Seasons has over expanded and there is just not consistent service or amenities from one property to another.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room. Be insistent.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Where do I start? We honeymooned between here and the Bellagio. On arrival here an army of staff descended upon us to help with luggage. We were taken to reception and greeted by Brandon. Brandon promptly announced we had been upgraded to a suite for our Honeymoon which of course was welcomed. We were taken up to our top floor suite which overlooked the Boulevard, it was stunning. The bathroom was huge, well equipped with massive walk in shower, separate bath, huge huge his and hers wash basins and loo of course! We had a dining area, sofas, 50 inch TV, the comfiest bed We have ever slept in, dressing area, the list is endless. We had been in the room when our doorbell(yes, doorbell!) rang, zebra don had sent Champagne and the biggest choc dipped strawberries we have ever seen, along with a beautiful card, all courtesy of the Hotel.we spent beautiful evenings in the bar or sat outside with a drink watching the world go by, it was awesome. The staff here are wonderful and exceptionally professional , standards of housekeeping were just what you would expect for a Hotel of this calibre, fabulous.The 2 courtesy luxury cars are an added bonus, again with very professional chauffeurs, be sure to book them. If you are thinking of visiting this Hotel, don't think about it, just do it, we have stayed in many beautiful a hotel in the world, but this one will never be beaten, truly 5 star with 5 star staff, Well Done. The best holiday ever.

Room Tip: If you're lucky enough to get a suite, ask for one overlooking the Boulevard
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed at the BW at least five times in the past year. Most times there is an issue. On one occasion, the valet managed to dent my door and flatten a new tire. They apologized and credited me $500.00 but it was a hassle.

About ten days ago, I arrive in B.H. after a late night drive from Las Vegas and an early client meeting in Orange County. I check in to the BW about 4:00. I Had two beers from the mini-bar and passed out in my clothes at the head of the bed, partially covered by the blanket and the pillows. The maid entered the room around 8:00 for a turn-down without knocking or ringing the bell. The maid was either on the phone or listening to music. I awoke suddenly after the maid pulled the blanket off of my head. I awoke to this very frightened woman. I, too, was scared and had a coronary event. No kidding. The maid exits the room screaming. Mr Trodd, the manager, basically, blames me and invites me not to return to the hotel. True story. I do not expect this kind of rubbish from a five-star hotel charging $600.00 per night.

The good: The food, the bar, the staff at the front desk and the location really is great.

The bad: The rooms smell funny and are old. Other posts attest to this. The valet and housekeeping staff mostly will create opportunities for you to be angry. And, if you have an issue, like a flat tire, you will be interrogated by security. L.A, I guess.

Now, I stay at the Peninsula and for the same money, you get the "Real Deal". FS has made a mess of the BW; frankly I have spent many nights at BW and heard many excuses and apologizes. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
#5 of 15 in Beverly Hills
The Beverly Hilton
The Beverly Hilton
#8 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)? Share your experiences!