“Even Better the second time”

Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed February 10, 2012

BACKGROUND

My last review seems to have been lost. As summary last time in was a tale of two hotels (The Beverly Wing and the Wilshire Wing.) Last time on arrival we were given a suite in the Beverly Wing which on paper met our expectations. Two bathrooms and living room with a fold out sofa bed for our son and a separate bedroom. However even without renovations going I found the room very noisy and cramped. The hole back building IMO has a tacked on feel and I did not get the experience I wanted. When I complained we were moved to a suite in the front building - the Wiltshire Wing - and even though it had only one bathroom it was perfect for us and we loved every minute.

THIS TIME

So when it came time to choose our hotel this year I checked the prices of the suite we stayed in and it was over $1300 per night. We loved this so much I was concerned about anything else not living up to expectation and was not prepared to accept a room in the Beverly wing I decided to go back to our old favourite The Beverly Hills Hotel but this time take a bungalow. Well this turned out to be a disaster - upon arrival we were shown to our room and although it was large it looked quite dated, was right on the road (no security) and was not representative of the photos on their website. Also it had two single beds. They claimed they only had one other room (another bungalow) available for that night which they showed us. It had a king bed but was small cramped and really daggy. We had absolutely loved our room in the main hotel on our last visit and the service was second to none - every thing about it was great and perhaps the best breakfast ever. Although they were very pleasant and tried to be helpful I just got the feeling they did not really care about us - being 3 bedraggled Australians not famous or rich.
So we left there and headed to The Beverly Wiltshire.
Upon arrival the greeting could not have been more different. The staff were genuinely nice and kind and respectful. The girl at reception kindly offered to put us in a Beverly suite - I nearly cried. I explained our situation and our dislike of that building on our last visit. Off she went and finally came back with the only room available in the Wiltshire wing was a suite on the 8th floor with 2 bathrooms that was normally over $1600 per night. She them went out to speak to her manager and gave us a really good rate on the room (Oh well its only money).
It was now about 10.30 at night an we were physically and emotionally tired but could not have been happier with the outcome when we walked into our room with its fantastic view of Rodeo Drive.
We ordered room service for my son and they brought up the wrong curry - I said to the person who delivered it "Don't worry it is late and he is really hungry he can just eat that". He would not hear of it and was back within about 10 minutes with the correct order and cookies and a drink FOC for my son.
It just went on like this. Everyone was professional and charming. At breakfast the service was excellent - so much so that even though they put 15% service on the bill we gave them extra - that really says something coming from an Australian!!
On the breakfast I would say the food was not as good as last time - still good but not great.
We ate at Cut which I will review separately.
Sorry this review is so long but I thought it may be helpful to others when trying to decide on an hotel in Beverly Hills when there are so many choices.
Don't forget the location is also fantastic.
Will we go back - my family would kill me if I booked anywhere else.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AussieAnge
There are newer reviews for Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Reviewed February 9, 2012

A short visit to this iconic Beverly Hills property - right at the base of Rodeo Drive!

Great location and incredible value (I was using a corporate rate).

Very comfortable, friendly and helpful staff and a great base for visitors to LA.

Room Tip: I liked the rooms at the back that have a small balcony.
1  Thank Softlanding
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Really enjoyed my stay. Extremely friendly staff, wonderfully comfortable bed. Nice and quiet.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

We stayed in early January 2012 and renovation of the balconies on the Beverly wing was in progress (we were told these would go on until August 2012). The renovations are dusty and noisy (cutting out concrete with drills and angle-grinders). The noise affected the whole hotel and the dust and noise affected the pool area in particular.

We would recommend avoiding this hotel until all renovations have been completed. The hotel does not provide any advance warning of renovations at time of booking; we feel that a luxury hotel of this type should warn guests about renovation work that could impact their stay.

In general, we found the quality of the hotel and service (they lost out luggage for a few hours) below the standard we would expect. Two areas stood out above the rest – the room service breakfast was fantastic (freshly prepared and well presented) and the Concierge (who found us a table at Spago’s at short notice).

Given our experience this time we are very unlikely to stay here again (we had a look at the Beverly Hills Hotel and would probably stay there)

Room Tip: Avoid during current renovations
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SWKA
BevWilHotel, Manager at Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies for your recent stay.

Fortunately, the renovations are complete as of now and it is my hope that you will give us another opportunity to be your host when your travels next bring you to Beverly Hills.

Should you wish to discuss your experience in greater detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Again, I am truly sorry for your disappointment.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

Stayed here for one night for business travel and my corporate rate is thankfully a lot more reasonable than the rack rate. My room was nice but nothing nicer than a Westin or Intercontinental. For this price, i dont think I should hear the person in the room next to me, but unfortunately I could. The walls are really thin. I should note I was in the annex building, not the main building. The fitness center was nice though 3 of the 8 treadmills were not functioning. It also had 6 ellipticals and a couple of bikes. The fitness center has free coffee and some little muffins which is a nice treat. Paid $40 to park my rental car overnight because I couldn't find a municipal garage nearby. Location is fabulous and it is fun to walk on Wilshire Blvd and Rodeo Drive.

2  Thank LAS021
BevWilHotel, General Manager at Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

We truly appreciated the feedback and please know that I am truly sorry that the experience did not met your expectations.

Please know that I would absolutely welcome an opportunity to discuss your stay in greater details.

With apologies,

Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 27, 2012

Very deceiving, photos on site show you Hollywood sign that's been magnified x 20... You have to squint to see it from your window in which they charge you extra for if you want the view!
Reception were short and un helpful best service was from the valet!
Was a hassle booking in first place took 2 weeks for someone to reply to my emails in which by then prices had gone up and when I finally calls was told the price would be granted, only to have them change their mind in email! Management rude.
Rooms were small and basic, house Keeping was slack.
Definitely needs a update.
Wouldn't reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank bella2130
BevWilHotel, General Manager at Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies that your recent stay at the Beverly Wilshire, A Four Seasons Hotel was not up to your expectations. I am also very sorry that you did not find our team helpful. Service is at the heart of everything we do and to have failed to provide you with the experience you expect from us is very disappointing.

I would be delighted to speak with you personally regarding your stay in an effort to restore your faith in the Beverly Wilshire.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 24, 2012

The Hotel is a fabulous representation of old Beverly Hills with the newness and the comforts we appreciate from The Four Seasons. The Hotel is beautiful - - - the lobby and front desk was decorated with stunning red tulips! it is truly a fabulous get-away!
The 5-star service started with IGOR at the front desk. He checked us in. In addition to being polite and poised, he was beyond hospitable and personable! His very kind demeanor was the perfect kick-off to our 1-night much-needed vacation! The rooms are very nice, clean, and totally lovely! Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: we booked with Amex card for upgrade. Nice perk!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
#7 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Montage Beverly Hills
Montage Beverly Hills
#9 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)? Share your experiences!