“Didn't go the extra mile for their guests after their own mess up.”

Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
los angeles
“Didn't go the extra mile for their guests after their own mess up.”
Reviewed September 4, 2006

I have never had a bad experience at a hotel before until I stayed at the Avalon. We arrived at our check-in time of 3 p.m. And they took about 10 minutes to finally let me know that the room wasn't ready, and it would be about another half hour. This was okay and they offered to buy us 1 drink each at the bar. After an hour (and only 1 drink while we sat there waiting) I finally got up to see what the deal was.

The kid (he looked younger than me and I'm 21) finally called to check on the room and it was finally ready. He didn't bother to keep us updated during that hour on the condition of the room, or how much longer it would be. We finally made our way up to the room and waited for our belongings to arrive from the bell boy. 15 minutes later we decided to call the front desk to make sure they didn't forget about our stuff - they did. They promised it right away, and 10 minutes later it showed up to our room on the 2nd level.

We called for ice a couple of times and the guy who brought it was CREEPY. The room was very small, the bathroom was too close to the bed. We had to keep calling the front desk because the cable connection to our computer wouldn't work, and they kept saying they would call us back with the instructions - they never did. All in all, the hotel was nice looking, but the staff made it ugly. I hated the Avalon and will never stay there again.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not stay here.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank chloekennedy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Arabic first
San Diego, Ca
Reviewed July 19, 2006

I was a little unsure when I booked this hotel because it's such a hit of miss with the little hotels that look "trendy" & since we just got a puppy we did not have much choice in mid-range priced hotels.

I was really happy with the Avalon Hotel - the room was nice and since I had a pet they put me in a one building that they had that would let you have pets. For the extra charge $50 it is by far one of the cheapest I have come across. This is for your whole stay - not daily either.

The room was a little small and the bathroom was really small...but the staff did make up for the little short comings.

I would stay there again.

• Liked — That they take pets
  • Disliked — On the small side & the bathroom
  • Stayed July 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Amiee L
Long Island, NY
Reviewed July 6, 2006

Awesome Hotel. My husband and I got an amazing rate on a travel website. After checking in to our room, I couldn't believe the steal we got. The Avalon had the same feel as the Mondrian in West Hollywood, but I thought the staff was more friendly at the Avalon.

I would highly reccomend and will stay again next time I'm in LA. I think this hotel would be great for a "girls getaway weekend" because the have an awesome restaurant/bar/pool scene in the evening. It's a very trendy Beverly Hills hot spot.

The rooms are on the smaller side, but they are so clean and the bed is so comfy, so who cares!

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank kd11605
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 14, 2006

After a long flight and navigating through the difficult LA traffic I pulled up to the Avalon Hotel and took a breath of fresh air! The staff is delightful - they always remembered my name - and not in that stiff-service, overly-serious way. My room was clean, comfortable, and chic - with some great pieces of furniture and an even better bed. Though I was in LA on business, I always felt like I was on holiday during the after-work lounging I did by the pool. (I made a habit of that!!)

I can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 30, 2006

Where else in Beverly Hills can you sit in a more chic environment and be treated like a queen? The Avalon Hotel's staff is there for your every need, and what's more, they seem to genuinely care about making you have the best possible stay. There is nothing better than coming back from a long day of work and sitting poolside sipping a martinin and eating from their eclectic bar menu...the atmosphere is so very LA, but without the pretense that we all see at other hotels. I have been coming to this hotel for years, and I will continue to come back. After a recent discussion with their staff I have come to learn that they are going to be renovating in the next year...after seeing what Kelly Wearstler has done at the Avalon and the rest of the Kor Hotels, I am beyond excited to see what she will do with this already stylish hotel. Hat's off to the Kor Hotel Group and the Avalon Hotel....If you haven't stayed here yet, you are missing out.

Stayed May 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed May 27, 2006

I could not agree more with the reviews below. The rooms are small, which is ok, but the furniture is cheapo (Ikea like), TV is at least 7 years old with crummy picture, no flat screens here...you would think based on the sheik lobby it would have room finishies of similar respects, but it does not. The linens seemed like a cotton-poly blend, comforter was nice though. $11/day internet, no bath-tub, standing shower only, cheap counter-top in bathroom made of formaica...not even marble. The faucet looks like an industrial faucet used to clean paint brush's. Lacking art work on the walls as well.

The positives of the Hotel are the staff, they were very friendly and well dressed. Additionally, I did order room service which was excellent, so not all is lot. I would think for the $200+ rates they are charging they would spend the $15,000/room and clean the place up, I'm sure it would pay huge dividends...I would have a hard time ever staying at another Kor Hotel, or at least one that they remodeled, I would probably stay at The Tides b/c they didn't do the renovation, they just took over the mgmt.

• Stayed May 2006
11 Thank bigtimetravelguy
Houston
Reviewed May 11, 2006

I am not sure where all those great reviews are coming from. The last one is accurate. This old gal has seen its days. Do NOT expect what you see in the on line photos. DO expect something tattered from the 60's.
If you expect to see Dean Martin and the rest of the Rat Pack emerge from the mists in the Avalon lobby then this may be the place for you. It is the 4th Kor hotel I have been booked into and hopefully it will be the last. Their style seems to be quirky at best. The people could not be nicer BUT it is NOT a 21st century property. And none of their hotels are close to being good value.
don.brown@brownchild.com