“The coolest and best hotel in 90210!”

Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I'm sure there are amazing hotels in Beverly Hills. But we prefer the Avalon and will only stay at the Avalon when we visit BH each year. My husband has to go for business every year and this is where we stay. It is very retro but has been updated. It has a long history of the very famous who have lived here or stayed here- including Marilyn Monroe. The pool area takes you back to a retro age of glamorous Hollywood - although small it is really nice and secluded. The have an amazing restaurant where we seem to eat almost everyday while we are there (best happy hour food and prices - try the ceviche- it's to die for). We just really love this place and it seems like a hidden gem - although I spot the Avalon in many TV shows filmed in the pool area. It has very distinctive colors and architecture. It is a great location to walk to Beverly Dr. And Rodeo drive. We usually don't have a car so I end up walking every where I want to go from the hotel. Grab a cup a coffee and enjoy a morning walk down Wilshire. The hotel has been renovated so tho it is retro the rooms have been updated still maintaining a retro feel. This is the best value for the area and the best hotel (we feel) for the value. Keep your eyes peeled - you never know who you might see at the bar or enjoying a bite to eat- it's a great place to hear movie business talk going on next to you or to see a Hollywood star enjoying dinner around the pool.

• Stayed: November 2013
Matthew B, Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Dear BigH73,

Thank you for sharing your Avalon journey with us and for your fond recanting of our fresh blend of iconic style and appeal in both world class dining in Oliverio and in your guest room experience.

We most certainly look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Matt Bernard

Reviewed December 25, 2013

This hotel exceeds on service. My partner and I had such a good experience from the beginning as we were given a room upgrade, we stayed in room 320 overlooking the pool. As soon as you enter Avalon you feel as though you have been transported back in time, the room was just as it is in the hotels pictures - amazing! Really comfy bed, lots of space, super clean and great shower. Nothing was too much trouble with the guys on reception, we really appreciated how much effort they went to in helping making our stay perfect.
The hotel is located minutes walk to Rodeo Drive and great places to eat. If you after something quirky but with lots of comfort and style you will love this place.

Room Tip: Room 320 was great, overlooking the pool.
Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew B, Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear Alice M,

Thank you for sharing your Avalon experience. We are extremely pleased with our team of professionals who were able to provide you with impeccable service.

We are also very pleased that you noted being, "transported back in time". We are very proud of our property and we take special pride in ensuring that we not are not only preserving a Beverly Hills Icon but that we are always keeping it fresh for our guests through blending our mid-century design with modern and trendy appeal.

The team and I wish to thank you for choosing the Avalon Hotel for your most recent visit to Beverly Hills; and for taking the time to share your experience, and we most certainly look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Matt Bernard

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Avalon Hotel was the best customer service experience I have ever encountered - and that's not limited to just hotels. The doormen were prompt and literally ran to our service. This one time I was walking in front of the doorman and held the door open for him and he felt so awkward, as if he felt bad that he wasn't holding the door open for me and then apologised to me!

Upon our arrival, we got the upgrade to a bigger room in the main building and I would highly recommend it for only an extra $30 a night. Our room was clean, the colours were soothing and quite big actually. The bathroom - which is usually the downfall of most hotels - was SO clean and made me comfortable being away from home.

The hotel has a restaurant which was also impeccable, one of the best meals I had on my entire holiday. If you're uninterested, the hotel is only a 20 minute walk to Rodeo Drive or a 10 minute walk to other local cafes and franchises like Urth Caffe, Starbucks, Coffee Bean. The hotel also has a heated pool which we did not use but looked amazing.

The front desk was incredibly helpful - in particular, a staff member named Alessandro. I believe he alone enhanced our entire stay. From his friendly personality, great smile and incredibly helpful tips without even us asking - he told us the hot spots, local cafes and his personal favourite places to shop. Customer service never used to be something that I bothered to look at in a hotel, but Alessandro and the staff at Avalon Hotel have set an incredibly high bar for my expectations in the future.

Room Tip: Get the upgrade! It's in the main building and the room is so spacious and soothing.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Director of R, Director of Rooms at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Rebecca L,

Thank you for sharing such lovely comments about our customer service, comfortable guest rooms and our central Beverly Hills location. Your feedback means everything to us as it lets us know what we are doing well and what we can do better to ensure an amazing Avalon experience. I will be sure to pass on your warm comments to Alessandro as well!

On behalf of all of us, thank you for choosing the Avalon on this occasion and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Matthew Bernard

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Updated and kitchy. Nice room - super cute and I slept like a rock in my clean + quiet room. Super nice staff who was ready to help me with everything. The pool was lovely during the day with nice wait staff - as it was in the evening and at night. Great drink and food choices -- nice people watching. Would stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the property across the street - I had a small terrace to hang out in the evenings...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Tijs K, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Stacey O,

Thank you for taking the time to share these amazing comments about your most recent stay with us. It was a pleasure for us to have you with us and we most certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon. We’ll be sure to have a cocktail waiting for you… poolside.

Best,

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Love the ambiance of this hotel. It has been refurbished but still feels as though you are back in the 50`s era when all the up and coming Hollywood stars were around. It is very relaxed and feels like home instead of a hotel.
The history of the hotel is one which also brought me here. Marilyn Monroe lived here for 3 years as they were once apartments. So if the past Hollywood is what you are searching for-you found it here. The rooms are very comfortable, with decor that suits the building perfectly.
The main feature of the Avalon is the lozenge pool which is in the middle of the courtyard.
Staff are very helpful and the Bell boys are friendly and efficient too...
Having a drink at night around the courtyard pool is lovely. And the location is fantastic. Walking distance to everything in Beverly Hills..

If you want to lounge around the pool, be sure to note that the sun is not around for long here. Being inside the courtyard, gives you a very small window of opportunity to catch some rays-so you have to time it right..

Room Tip: If you are seeking to stay in Marilyn`s old apartment, it was located on the 2nd floor..
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank minibikini
Tijs K, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear minibikini,

Thank you for sharing such lovely comments. It was a delight to have you with us at the Avalon and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our rich history, which continues to shine thru in our mid-century modern design by Kelly Wearstler.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I really liked Avalon's location. A 15 minute walk to several restaurants/cafes at Beverly Blvd. and a 20 minute walk to Rodeo Drive. Don't bother about it, I felt very safe walking late at night in Beverly Hills. The service was impeccable and attentive at every interaction, from the valet parking to the housekeeping. I only expected more from the accomodations. Since it's a historic building transformed into a classy hotel, some limitations of the original building remains such as very small valet parking entrance, separated buildings (luckly I stayed at the main one), restaurant around the pool hurts guests privacy or uneven cement floor. I believe I've got a great deal using Priceline, so I was definitely worth the visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Tijs K, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Dear Henrique S,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your most recent stay with us, here at the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed our location and that you took the opportunity to explore our immediate surroundings by visiting South Beverly and Rodeo Drive. I was also delighted to learn that you found the service you received to be impeccable at every interaction throughout your experience.

Indeed, our building holds a tremendous amount of history which reflects on the design and overall vibe of the property. We continuously explore opportunities to improve our product to ensure an outstanding experience for all of our guests.

On behalf of the entire team, thank you for staying with us and for posting this review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Not as nice as it looks. The lobby and reception area is nice, staff is friendly and helpful. That's about as far as positives go for me. I had to go outside through an alley to get to my building and was afraid at night while alone (key card never worked until 3x either). Lighting in the elevator and hallway was dark and dingy. The drain in my sink and tub both drained slow, (gross!) so I was standing in inches of water during my shower.

The decor was almost 80's, cold, not homey or inviting at all. Drapes were on some old rusty bar- hard to pull them closed. Also didn't realize parking was $30 a day and you have to valet (which means you have to have cash for a tip every time you come and go.) Bed was pretty comfortable and the pool area seemed nice, but I was expecting much more from this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to not be in the weird, dark building detached from the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mary S

Dear Mary S,

Thank you for taking the time to share comments of your most recent experience with us.

I was delighted to note that you appreciated our lobby space and its mid-century modern design by Kelly Wearstler and that you found our beds to be comfortable and the pool area to provide a great vibe. I was however dismayed to learn about your disappointment with your room. Indeed, we offer three unique buildings that each have their advantages that we regrettably did not match with your needs on this occasion. The team and I certainly wish to extend our sincerest apology in this regard.

We hope that you will allow us another chance and that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon. On behalf of all of us at the Avalon, thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing the Avalon on this occasion.