“We expected more...”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Tim289
“We expected more...”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Photos on homepage are really promising as is the appearance in the stylish "wallpaper" guide. For the price we expected more of the rooms and the hotel. Lobby area is nice, but hallways etc really don't look great! We had to cross some sort of alley to get to our rooms... We were also told that valet parking was free which it wasn't. Got a discounted rate though after we complained. Pool area feels somehow cramped though it does look nice!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Diego H, General Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Tim289,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Avalon. I apologize that the aesthetics of the hotel did not meet your expectations and appreciate your feedback. I do hope that the service that my team provided made up for this and that we were able to provide you with a memorable experience, On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Diego Heredia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Arabic first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

They have done a good job of turning an old motel into a cool hotel but there are limitations such as the air con, lifts and showers. Having said that the rooms are tastefully decorated, the pool area is very pleasant and the hotel staff were really helpful.
Considering its location (10 minute walk to Rodeo Drive) it offers great value for money and is close to some excellent and surprisingly inexpensive restaurants and cafe's, try Cafe Istanbul for Dinner and Urth Cafe for Breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Diego H, General Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Foleytrip,

Thank you for your taking the time to provide us with your comments regarding your recent stay. I am glad that we provided you with great value for your money and that you were pleased with our amenities, décor and location. On behalf of everyone at Avalon, we look forward to your return from the UK.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights with my family. Rooms are a great size. We had 4 adults in each room and had enough space for humans and luggage.

The hotel is made up of two buildings. I would request being in the building the reception is in. We had a room on each side and the toilet on the other side broke down.

Hotel is in a good location and within walking distance to Rodeo Drive and restaurants. We had a car so it did help. Reception staff were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ainslee P,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip from Sydney. I am thrilled to learn that you and your family had a great experience and hope that we were able to create lasting memories for all of you. The layout of our hotel does provide us and our guest a variety of room layouts and locations depending on taste, likes and dislikes. I am glad that we found the room that was perfect for you. On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you and your family back from the Sydney in the near future.

Devon, UK
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I love the fact that The Avalon takes customer service so seriously.
As soon as I arrived they me that there was a function that evening, therefore it wouldn't be possible to use the pool area - so I was upgraded to a 1 bedroom apartment for the duration of my stay.
The room itself was wonderful, retro chic and the bed.....comfortable isn't even the word !

Fitness suite was small but perfect, all the latest cardio equipment and free weights.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes 1950's decor with a modern twist.

Room Tip: Try and stay away from the front as I imagine it could be quite noisy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear BeccaDia,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. We do take customer service very seriously and my team is very passionate about creating memorable experiences. I am glad that we were able to upgrade you to a one bedroom suite during your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back from the UK in the near future.

Carrboro, North Carolina
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Excellent location -- Yes and just a 5 minute walk to a grocery store, restaurants, etc;
Superb customer service -- Yes it was exceptional;
Clean rooms -- Yes, albeit, very small and teeny tiny bathroom...my room 208 overlooked West Olympic Blvd.
Safe location -- Yes, it seemed safe and it's located in what appeared to be a safe residential area;
Walkable -- Yes, a score of 10 out of 10;
Comfortable beds -- Oh, yeah;
Noise Level: -- Pretty quiet, although ear plugs would be good for the noise of early morning traffic;
Food -- OMG, the absolute best I've had in a long time at a hotel;
Check in/Check out: A breeze;
Relaxing: Yes, the pool area is very relaxing and has individual cabanas;
General Ambiance: Absolutely...can I have a permanent residence there please?
Price: Too high for the size room I had. Should have been no more than $190/night tops.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Slowee08,

Thank you very much for your candid review. I think that your point by point description of the Avalon is right on target. We pride ourselves on providing and amazing experience for all of our guests and it appears that accomplished this during your stay. On behalf of my team, we appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Myself and my partner have just returned after spending 4 nights at The Avalon. The staff were welcoming and friendly, with a particular mention for Amber, the Concierge, whose understanding of guests needs and requirements along with her knowledge of LA was first class. The location is excellent, in a very pleasant area, within minutes walk of some great restaurants, and a pleasant stroll to Rodeo Drive if high-end shopping is your bag!

Our room was huge and situated in the tower building adjacent to the main hotel building, which was fantastic as there was no noise from the pool area.

Overall, it was an excellent stay, and I would highly recommend the Avalon!

1 Thank ILoveToTravel1969
Diego H, General Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much to take the time after your vacation to write such a wonderful review. I am so pleased that you and your partner had an amazing experience. I appreciate your great comments regarding your room, our location and most importantly about the service you received. I will be sharing your comments with everyone and in particular with Amber.
On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming both of you back to the Avalon in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Avalon has the kind of scary good service that makes Los Angeles the delightfully weird place it is. NOTHING is too much trouble, every request is met with an earnest sincerity and pleasant helpfulness that you don't find anywhere else in the world. The property itself is nice, though a little tawdry here and there. The rooms, pleasant but unexceptional. The restaurant was excellent and the sommelier (something I didn't expect) incredibly well informed. A very enjoyable stay.

1 Thank tamaramaqueen
Diego H, General Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to learn that my team provided you with a memorable experience. I will be certain to share your wonderful comments with the team as they truly take pride in the service they provide to each guest. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.