“Contemporary Classic with vibe”

Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
San Diego, California
“Contemporary Classic with vibe”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is a wonderful suprise in a great location. Built in 1949 yet seems so modern. It is very well maintained and smartly decorated. The swiming pool surrounded by a tropical outdoor patio is located in the center of the hotel, palm trees and seating areas surround the pool creating a social center. This inviting patio is utilized for drinking and dining, with staggered tables on one side, cabana areas on the other and sofas with fire tables scattered about. Daytime it is beautifully sunlit and in the evening, sultry. The music fills the air with a hip clubby beat, and diners are well dressed. The dining here is Italian modern and compares with all the greats in L.A. The menu has several plates to share, the cauliflower souffle was exceptional. All the seafood was local, fresh and amazingly prepared. The chef's love of cooking certainly shows in the preparation of the dishes. Excellent service, good prices and delicious food make this a go-to spot for any ocassion.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tijs K, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear LyfLuxplorer,

We couldn’t have described the experience and vibe of the hotel and our restaurant, Oliverio, any better…

The team and I were so excited to read your comments as it allowed us to escape for a moment into the experience of a guest. Our very own Chef Mirko Paderno continuously reinvents himself with dishes that combine classic Italian dining with local flavors, into a truly innovative culinary experience.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and post this review. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please be sure to reach out to us directly, before planning your next trip, so we can ensure another fantastic experience.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Arabic first
Los Angeles
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is the hotel I would recommend to anyone who wants to come to LA to have a peaceful experience. LA is often called Hell A, for many good reasons, but as soon as you walk in the Avalon, you feel transported to another world, this is heaven. First of all, you are amazed by the scenery that looks exactly like the online pictures, which is rare.Then you arrive at the front desk and you're welcomed by the most friendly staff I have ever seen in my travels around the world. The room was bigger than what I expected and I loved the design. My only regret was to not have more time to enjoy the beautiful pool and stay longer. It's also a fantastic place for lunch and business meetings. It's very quiet and I like the privacy of their cabanas.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear carolannt,

Thank you for sharing such kind words about your recent stay with us, here at the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills.

The team and I were so proud when reading your comments as it is truly our number one goal to provide our guests with a place to escape and feel comfortable and well looked after. Indeed, Kelly Wearstler did an outstanding job transforming these beautiful buildings into n mid-century modern getaway.

We would like to thank you for choosing the Avalon and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly prior to your next visit, so I may personally ensure that your future stay will be another outstanding experience.

PA & FLA
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The Avalon, first built in 1949, is a fantastic fusion with respect for the outstanding design of a small Beverly Hills hotel of 1949 design and the total hipness of the current times...

what does that mean? it's hard to define, but if you go to the Avalon, you will understand and probably agree! In a nutshell, this hotel is as original on the outside, and it is a great example of the architecture of the time, it was cool! Now..it's cooler! Modern furnishings which pay respect to the retro style of the hotel are what you will find. And it is just great! the amoeba shaped swimming pool is the centerpiece of the courtyard and all the rooms open to it and it is a lovely sight! Cabana like separations line the ground floor, and you can have cocktails there or a meal, you get a bit of privacy without leaving the scene... and it is an interesting scene!

The rooms carry that same current yet retro theme. They are well kept, beds are cozy and comfortable, the modern mechanicals ensure your comfort. The bathrooms are updated and quite roomy!

BUT!!! let me not leave out the very courteous and capable personnel that make this stay all that much more enjoyable!!! They're very helpful, and all very friendly...A really nice group.

The cuisine served at the hotel's "Oliverio" rivals almost any place in LA, surpassing many, it's really good with creative dishes.

Anywhere decent in this geographic area is "gonna cost ya".. but this place is a bargain for what you get, in my humble opinion.

It should also be noted that there is a very well equipped gym on the premises, with current equipment, all in very good condition. Great to work off some of the food and drink that you will no doubt indulge in during your vacation or business trip!

We have been several times and always look forward to our return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank _RichieT_Pa_Fla
Dear Richie,

WOW!!! What an amazing review and such kind words about our hotel and the team. Reviews such as these really drive us to get even better and ensure that the hotel stays in perfect shape.

On behalf of all of us at the Avalon, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please be sure to reach out to us before you arrival so we can ensure another great experience.

Ottawa
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Everyone was SO nice. Crazy friendly front door staff, I can't believe how nice everyone is. Plus the hotel looks AMAZING. Seriously, it's the first time I go somewhere that looks exactly like the online pictures. The front desk even called us after we got in to make sure everything was ok. We went in feb so we couldn't swim (water is 75°F) but the pool area was SO nice. They get little fire pits out at night and it's just so cozy down there. The room was really modern looking and the bathroom is huge! Also there was a safe for passports and money. Location is either really good or really bad. For us it was bad because we had to cab everywhere (Hollywood, airport etc). No shuttle from the airport, expensive cab ride. Make sure you get a blue Beverly Hills cab. They have a $38 flat airport rate. Otherwise you're paying $50 or more. Also from Avalon to Hollywood blvd shouldn't cost more than $25. Cabs are screwy around here. Other than that, it's walking distance from Rodeo drive and all the good Beverly Hills places to visit! If I ever come back to LA, I'm staying at this hotel FOR SURE. But I'll be renting a car next time.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Scott,

Thank you for your amazing review. We all very much appreciate your kind words.

The team and I were in particular excited to read your comments about the service you received from our team here at the Avalon. Also your note about our signature hour-glass pool and the vibe surrounding it was received with much appreciation.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again on you next trip to LA/Beverly Hills. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us in advance so we can make your stay just that little extra special.

Warm regards,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in June 2012, upgraded to the larger room which was great.

Beautiful pool to start the morning off well.

We had a hire car during this stay and it is needed as the Hotel isn't really in walking distance to anywhere.

However it is a great base to explore all of LA and its beaches. We also found traffic to be great when you base yourself in this area, but then again we are used to bad traffic living in Sydney.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Simon,

Thank you kindly for sharing your recent experience of the Avalon Hotel. Our signature hour-glass pool does indeed create the perfect ambiance for breakfast in the morning, or a swim, and perhaps a cocktail later during the day.

I was disappointed to learn that we did not take the time to familiarize you with the immediate surroundings of the hotel, as Beverly Drive and the Golden Triangle are within a minutes walk of the hotel.

We hope to see you back soon. For now, thank you from all of us for staying at the Avalon and for sharing your experience.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am re submitting this review because of an incident that happened and was not rectified by the hotel on my behalf. First off, the hotel has charm but feels very dingy. Lots of paint slapped on rotting wood and rusting metal. The bed did have crisp clean sheets but the carpet had lots of stains and the bathroom didnt feel clean because of bad craftsmanship in paint and tile. The other thing to be aware of, if you are a light sleeper, some rooms face the alley and the apartment building next door's parking is right below so lots of noise late at night and early morning. On a positive note, the front desk is very friendly and the restaurant is very good.

The incident I am referring to is the valet over night. When I checked in for the overnight stay, the valet checked the car and marked previous damage noting on a card and lifting his hand to signal to the security camera. I had no damage to the passenger front fender and did not notice any when I left because I got in on the driver's side. When I noticed it the following day, I called and was immediately given the valet company's phone number. I was quite pleased that they asked that I send photos and they would submit for a claim. A few days later, I received an email that they had to deny the claim. I contacted the hotel and they followed up for me but they were unable to sway the valet company who is not part of the hotel. So for the great bargain that this hotel is, I incurred $500 for my deductible and the hotel manager apologized and offered me a free stay which doesnt help the fact that I am out of pocket $500. Very disappointed when a hotel will wash its hands of damaged incurred on their property. Check your cars especially those of you with low fenders.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Tijs K, Executive Assistant Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Elena,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills.

We very much appreciate your kind comments about the service you received throughout your stay and about the experience you enjoyed at our restaurant, Oliverio. I was certainly concerned to read your notes about the overall maintenance of the hotel. Our three buildings date back to the 50s and we are proud to be in such a unique space. Our maintenance team prides itself on keeping the property look at it’s very best and I was therefore disappointed that we did not meet your expectations in this regard.

I am most thankful for the fact that you reached out to me directly once you witnessed the damage to your vehicle. It allowed us the opportunity to ensure that all required follow up processes were promptly and accurately attended to by our valet parking service provider. As the damage was reported 48 hours after your departure from the hotel, it unfortunately opens up many other opportunities for the vehicle to get damaged and the insurance carrier of our valet parking provider was therefore unable to approve your claim.

In an effort to make amends, and as a gesture of good will, we offered you a gift certificate to stay with us again in the future. This offer was not extended in lieu of any repair reimbursements, but in recognition of the inconvenience we understand you encountered throughout this process and in appreciation of your patronage.

We are disappointed that we were unable to address your concerns to your satisfaction on this occasion. It is always our number one priority to ensure that all of our guests enjoy a comfortable stay and that any questions, requests, or concerns are attended to in a timely and satisfactory fashion.

Thank you again for choosing the Avalon Hotel for your recent stay. We hope that you will allow us another chance and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Executive Assistant Manager
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Superb value in Beverly Hills! A fun smaller hotel with a retro feel. Excellent, friendly staff who went out of their way to be helpful. Amber was fantastic.Only minor complaint is the hotel is about a 15 minute walk to the heart of Beverly Hills-but the staff more than made up for it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mark,

Thank you kindly for posting this review of your recent experience at the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills. We very much appreciate your kind comments about the service you received from our team while staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.