“Alone in LA”

Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I decided to take a trip to LA after a a year of working solid with no breaks. After reserving 5 hotels I settled on the Avalon. As I was travelling alone it was essential I was in walking distance of everything I wanted to see and I felt safe. I arrived in LA on Thursday evening feeling some trepidation, but this was short lived. As soon as I arrived at the Avalon I was treated like a VIP.

The hotel and room was beautiful. It was within 5-10 walking of all the main sights of Beverly Hills in one direction and I also walked easilly to the Westfield shopping centre (I did take a cab back. After walking around shopping, my feet were shot to pieces!) one word of caution: there are these sales people who will offer you various free hand/face cream samples. Take the freebies if you like and run like hell! If you go in, you won't get out without spending hundreds of pounds on crappy products (because of course this is the last time they will be providing these amazing deals). Or you will feel as if you have been emotionally abused as when you don't buy they turn from being your best friend to your worst enemy.

One member of the Avalon team (Maria - I think) helped me to book a tour of LA and a trip to Universal Studios. These tours are brilliant and they will collect you from the hotel and bring you back so it couldn't be easier.

There were other members of the team that were really helpful especially when I had a problem with one of my credit cards. She helped me to get to the bottom of the issue and even called the offending party and demanded a refund!

The hotel also have a wonderful restaurant attached called The Oliverio. The food was amazing and good value for money. They were also happy to make minor amendments to a dish if required and knocked me up a hamburger in the evening when it wasn't on the menu. The staff in the restaurant were attentive without being overbearing.

I will stay at this hotel again as quite frankly, I cannot fault it one little bit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Gael N
Tijs K, Executive Assistant Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting this truly amazing review. The team and I were so proud to read your comments and learn about your experience with us.

Indeed we were pleased to have been your final choice of hotel to stay at for your well deserved break from working. I was pleased to read that you took full advantage of the hotel being in close proximity of several sights and shopping areas.

Your recognition of the services provided by Mariya is very much appreciated and we’ll be sure to pass your kind message along. I was however dismayed to learn about the problem with your credit cards, but pleased to note that the team swiftly addressed your concern.

Finally, the Oliverio team was filled with excitement when reading your feedback. They do take great pride in the service as does the Culinary staff with the food. We are all so proud that we were able to share this with you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Perfect stay for our honeymoon. The staff is kind and great, the room was big, the bed comfortble e the bathroom really spacious and clean. The pool is amazing and the Oliverio`s food delicious. I`m very happy with our choise and when I come back to LA will be staying there again for sure!

Room Tip: room 319 is really good and spacious.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words. We were truly pleased to learn that you had enjoyed your stay so much; from the comfort of your bed to the amazing food at Oliverio.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We chose Avalon to stay our first night in Los Angeles on a short three night trip to celebrate my wife's birthday - we have stayed here several times and always enjoy it. This time everything was still perfect. This hotel is in a quiet residential location technically in Beverly HIlls - one can walk to nearby shops and restaurants or drive anywhere. The hotel is a great conversion of an apartment building into a very stylized mid century modern hotel with interior by designer Kelly Wearstler with very comfortable rooms / beds etc - though no bath tub in this room. It is a quiet relaxed environment, though in the past the pool side could be quite crowded with diners / bar patrons - on our most recent visit it was very quiet and peaceful.

In the past we have had dinner by the pool and found it very good - this time we only enjoyed breakfast by the pool which was very good. We found the service great - from the restaurant to the bellmen / valets and especially the the very nice soft spoken front desk staff person Mariya to be excellent, professional, and always helpful.

The central outdoor space surrounded by hotel rooms has a pool with deck chairs and cabana's around it as well as tables from the restaurant - it is a quiet place to chill out, enjoy a drink or a good meal.

Be aware that the hotel has three buildings with similar styled rooms - we prefer the original central building that surrounds the pool, but have stayed in the other buildings as well - A benefit in staying in the other buildings could be the quiet of the residential neighborhood if it turns out to be a lively night at the bar / restaurant.

Room Tip: We asked for a deluxe king with Balcony overlooking the pool - there are only four of these rooms an...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience of the Avalon Hotel.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us again and the team and I very much appreciate your kind comments about the hotel itself, as well as the service you enjoyed.

On behalf of all of us here at the Avalon, thank you for staying with us again and thank you for taking the time to post this review and share your experience.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Unlike som of the other destinations in our itinery, with L.A. we were spoilt for choice with cool and stylish places to stay. We had narrowed our choice down to Palihotel, The Farmers Daughter or Avalon. On looks alone we wanted the classic motelesque experience that the Avalon offered but were concerned by some of the reviews it had got for noise and smells of smoke.

After speaking to the reception desks of all the above hotels we opted for The Avalon as they were extremely helpful, friendly and welcoming.

On check-in we realised that we had chosen well. Its location was within walking distance of Rodeo Drive shops, the floor staff are amazingly welcoming and helpful and the interior decor, from the lady behind all of The Viceroy Group chain of hotels, is to die for.

The stylish deco room continued along the same vein, whilst still retaining all those cool period features that drew us their in the first place.

Our nights sleep was slightly disturbed by a neighbouring air-con unit being turned on a 4.30am but nothing too much to worry about.

The food was great especially choosing from a selection of the smaller bites and we would definately recommend it.

If you don't want the possibilty of background noise from air-con units take ear plugs as everything else about this place out weighs this, our only minor critisim.

Loved it and if we venture back to L.A. again this is where we'll be staying. If it's good enough for Maralyn Monroe back in the day then it's sure good enough for us.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tijs K, Executive Assistant Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

WOW! Your comments about your recent experience with us have truly touched all the different areas of the hotel, and even more so the pillars on which we build upon on a daily basis; intuitive service, inspiring design, and innovative culinary experiences.

The comments you generously shared in your posting are an amazing, candid, description of the things we talk about every day.

The team and I couldn’t be more proud and look forward to welcoming you back to the Avalon Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I rellay enjoyed the Hotel, I am from Germany and Ive been at the Avalon for three nights. Large rooms, a nice pool, and excellent service. A woman at the front desk called Mariya helped me in every situation like giving me advices for good restaurantes, and there was also a German woman called Francis i think. She was very friendly aswell. The restaurante is good, but expensive. If you are looking for a hotel in LA, you should definitly take the Avalon.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank jonassebastian

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such kind words about, in particular, the service you receive from our Guest Service Team. Rest assured that we have shared your comments with Mariya, Francis, and the team overall.

When your travels bring you back to the Beverly Hills area, please be sure to reach out to me directly so we can ensure another outstanding and memorable experience at the Avalon.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here four nights, very nice small boutique hotel. Although we were told we had a king size bed, it certainly wasn't. The room was lovely the staff very helpful. Was a very expensive area, but we knew that beforehand, so no surprises.

Dear Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and share your recent experience of the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills.

We very much enjoyed reading your great feedback and sincerely appreciate your wonderful comments about the design of our rooms, by Kelly Wearstler. I was however disappointed to learn that we misinformed you about the size of the mattress in your room, and wish to extend a sincere apology.

Thank you for choosing the Avalon Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

If Im being honest, I have to admit, I like this hotel, a lot. Unfortunately, I dont believe I will stay here ever again.

So, I I have stayed here twice. I really like the boutique thing they have going on, I think the staff is friendly and the property is clean and well taken care of. I had a regular room the first time and it was nice, but perhaps a little on the small side. The second time I opted for a suite or whatever they call it and it was much room-ier...The beds are comfortable.

So my first stay, we got back at 11:45 and I believe their bar closes at 12....The (I presume) security guard was actually pretty rude to us. In a not friendly tone he said the bar was closed...I said I thought it closed at midnight and we just wanted to get a drink to take to our room and he was very rude saying the bar was closed....ok, whatever...a sorry and a shrug would have gone a lot further with me than the condescending tone we received...but again, that wasnt a really big deal...

The bigger issue (and feel free to laugh as it is kind of funny, I mean, if you cant laugh at yourself...) was the lack of discretion. I had stayed at this hotel a while back (maybe a year ago?)....I had come with someone I was dating...so now Im dating someone else and I thought Id make a good impression with this hotel as it is trendy, etc...well, I think the girl checking us in was new...so as I give her my card and ID, she says, "welcome back, Mr. XYZ,"...grrrr...I just stared at her with blank expression not making eye contact with my new interst....so if that wasnt enough, she looks at us and says, so youve been here before so I dont need to explain the facilities to you, right? Game set match...I look over and my new girl just looks away. Thankfully she took it in stride and only made life hell for a couple hours, but I believe that was terrible by the hotel. I understand wanting to make me/us feel welcome...but since I plan on being with this one for a while, budha willing, I will never be able to stay here again.

So, I would recommend this place if you arent stupid like me and/or arent worried about discretion...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills.

We were pleased to note that enjoyed your stay with us, however I was dismayed to learn about the inconvenience you encountered at Oliverio when ordering a late night drink. We pride ourselves in providing all of our guests with the highest level of intuitive customer service and I was therefore truly disappointed that you encountered such inconvenience during your most recent stay.

Thank you again for posting this review and sharing your feedback. We hope to see you back soon.