“very comfortable and welcoming”

Montage Beverly Hills
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed there over a weekend when there was a fancy wedding at the hotel (ceremony on the grounds with band, drinks afterwards, etc). I never saw such beautiful expensive cars - then again, they're not scarce in LA.
Despite this distraction, all services were running smoothly: check-in was fast, dining options were explained unhurriedly ('d arrived too late for the main restaurant, but bar food and room service were available).
I ordered a drink in my room, then a fish dish (halibut? perfectly cooked, whatever it was) from the in-room dining menu: both were brought promptly and prettily presented, with fresh flowers on the tray.
The room itself was large and so was the bathroom, both luxuriously appointed and spotlessly clean. No view, and quite a trek from reception, but quiet.
The rooftop swimming pool is tiny, but luckily no one else was using it both mornings I went there, and you can see all the way to the Hollywood sign once the morning fog dissipates.
I had a cheeseburger in the rooftop bar: it took ages to come and cost a fortune, but at least it tasted great.
I found all the staff with whom I had any contact helpful and friendly, and I'll definitely go back for another relaxing break whenever I can.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Montage Beverly Hills

Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Montage was good, lovely room and great service and staff. Room service charge was steep, cappuccino was $12 plus a $6 delivery fee so be careful of that. My $24 burger ended up being charged at $55 incl a garden salad. But beautiful hotel in a great location.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JeanMostyn
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in what I think was the least expensive room (a standard king room) as I was on a very reasonable (for Beverly Hills) corporate rate. The room was a bit on the small side but still plenty of room to relax with an amply sized bathroom with separate shower stall and toilet area, small walk-in closet, and desk with the flat-screen TV hidden inside it. My view was only of the roof area and next building so nothing special there. I especially appreciated the classic looking but modernly equipped desk because it included a plethora of places to plug in my gear including powered USB ports.

Both the front desk staff and bellman were very warm and welcoming both at check-in and check-out. I also had breakfast one morning at the Conservatory restaurant on the roof next to the pool. The view over the city was nice and the food and service very good though a bit pricey (but then again this is Beverly Hills).

The location, just a very short walk from Rodeo drive, was excellent. There were also plenty of other shopping and dining options on Canon and Beverly drives.

If I need to stay in the Beverly Hills area again and want a location in the Rodeo Dr. area I would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Agree with the other recent reviews about the valet staff. Definitely could use a little training on treating guests equally. We pulled up to the valet area, and got out of the car to check-in. A valet staff walked right by us and went to a lady that pulled up behind us. Not sure what his method was in approaching guests, but this was not a good start. Luckily, the front desk and concierge staff were completely opposite of the valet. Friendly, accommodating, humorous and welcoming during check-in and check-out. The rooms were spacious with high ceilings and comfortable décor. We walked into the room with some lovely dessert and treats laid out. The bathroom was clean and a decent size with a rain shower, separate tub and double sinks. We went to The Conservatory Grill for breakfast. Loved the open roof and a great view of Hollywood hills… it’s a very convenient location for shopping and restaurants in Beverly Hills period.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank choubella
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Montage Beverly Hills is without doubt a Beverly Hills celebrity! And that's not easy in a town full of celebrity hotels! The Montage Beverly Hills however manages to provide all the trappings of a 5 star hotel, seriously comfortable and luxurious rooms (I stayed for 2 nights in August 2012 and had a deluxe room overlooking the small green park next to the hotel) , great food and service but none of the formailty and pretence that often comes as part of the deal! It's sophisticated whilst relaxing and seamlessly caters to a mix of movie moguls, smart vacationers and "ladies who lunch/spa/have a spot of cosmetic surgery"! And this only works because of an amazing group of staff who seem to get the balance of 5 star service with a relaxed approach, just right. Locatrion is everything and the hotel is at the epi-centre of Beverly Hills shopping and dining action- no complaints there. Service was great with the exception of one little "concierge moment" but that quickly passed! My only very slight negative was the swimming pool - whilst you can't do much about your fellow guests ( a truly vile family had taken up residence when I visited the pool), the pool itself needed some tiles replacing which was a little suprising given that everything else in the hotel was in pristine condition. I'm sometimes a difficult traveller to please and all Beverly Hills hotels have there pluses and minuses but The Montage does a great job of keeping all of it's guests happy!

Room Tip: Go for a room over looking the little park next to the hotel- you forget you are in the city!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I save up so I can treat myself and my man to a day or 2 at the Montage Beverly Hills a couple times a year, to come up from San Diego for a romantic getaway. Normally upon my arrival, I am greeted warmly and attentively. Imagine my disappointment when I drove up to the valet, and the gentleman in the brown suit (not with the hat) approached my car and first assumed I was coming for lunch. I was beaming with a smile, so happy to have arrived after the 3 hour drive up, and he was kind of snotty in his tone. I politely said, "no, I am a guest checking in." He rolled his eyes and asked about my luggage, which I said was on the back seat, and yes, I could use some help with it. Instead of the normal bell person coming with the cart to assist, this rather terse gentleman had my car driven down to the parking. I asked about my bags, and he snapped that they would be brought up, don't worry. Then he promptly left to go take a picture with his cellphone camera of the Ferrari parked in the valet area. I have never been treated so rudely at the Montage. The front desk check-in was courteous and delightful, as usual, so I felt a little better. Ismael, the bellman, came up to my room a few minutes later, but he had the wrong bags. I explained to Ismael that the terse man at the valet had them drive my bags with my car down to the parking lot. Ismael promptly went back downstairs and found them. He was very sweet.

I had booked a special spa package and was really looking forward to a relaxing spa treatment, but when I called to book just a manicure to start, I was told there were no nail services available at all that day. They should warn you when you book that certain services may not be available. I went down to the front desk to ask what else might be available, and Jennifer there quickly offered a food and beverage credit, which I happily accepted. It would give me a great opportunity to introduce some of my colleagues in my Century City office to The Montage, as a great place to come relax and also to entertain important clients. Unfortunately, that did not turn out so well.

Normally, I love the Parq Bar, and Matt Landes there does an exceptional job in treating the guests there like royalty. However, he was not there that night (it was a Wednesday) and the music in the Parq Bar was deafening and service poor. I had my colleagues meet me there so I could show them how great the Parq Bar and Scarpetta is, but there were only 5 guests in the Parq Bar that night and the loud music made it very uncomfortable. As we waited for our drinks, my guest noticed the bartender or barback picking the back of his teeth with a pencil or stick of some sort. I was mortified!!! We couldn't stand the loud music (mind you, we are all in the age 30-40 range) and that toothpick incident grossed us out, so we moved to the Library. Even in the Library, the music was still so loud, we had to shout to hear each other. We decided to close out our check and move over to Bar Scarpetta, where Paige provided top-notch service to us.

The rooms are not as loaded with amenities as they once were (they have cut back on the Agraria bath products, and do not give you the lavish amenities that the Laguna Beach Montage does), and my room was very noisy! I am not sure what has happened since the last 3 or 4 times I have stayed in the beautiful Superior Room, but there was this dinging noise everytime the air conditioning would come on, all hours of the night. It kept waking me up :( Also disappointing was finding out the Conservatory Grill balcony overlooking the Beverly Canon Gardens is no longer open for dining...I always look forward to enjoying breakfast overlooking the gardens and up into the Hollywood Hills. Not too terrible to have to settle with dining in the enclosed area by the pool, but it just isn't as special.

I most likely will stay at The Peninsula next time and give them a shot, as things at The Montage are not at the 5-star impeccable level of service I had been accustomed to by them.

4  Thank Marianna E
MontageBH1, Manager at Montage Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

We regret that you left Montage Beverly Hills feeling dissatisfied and hope you will accept our sincere apologies. We will be reaching out to you directly to further discuss the issues you experienced so that we may address them with our team immediately. We hope to rectify your experience.

David Hoffman

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Great location.
Room (corner suite) was very spacious.
Nice touch of a monogrammed pillow with our initial.
Great bed linens.
Great TV's.
Shower is in the tub/jacuzzi (really, you couldn't make stand alone shower work in that large space?)
No make-up mirror (only complicated by barely adequate bathroom lighting)
I get this is supposed to be a first class hotel environment...but can you please put an iron/iron board in the closet? We don't always have time to wait for things to be pressed.
First impression was blown (had to wait 5 minutes for someone to appear when we drove up)
Very courteous and attentive front desk staff
Service and food selection at upper level cafe (by the pool) was just OK (not worthy of a hotel of this class). It took a long time for our bottle of wine to arrive...then it was warm.
Lobby bar staff was exceptional one night and weak the second night.
Room service was up to standards.
Concierge staff was fantastic.
Valet had a second failing when we had to wait 15 minutes for our car (after calling ahead of time). Partial redemption by providing great advice on an alternate route to the airport, with cold waters waiting in our car.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Westside
Hotel Bel-Air
Hotel Bel-Air
#1 of 352 in Los Angeles

Been to Montage Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!