“great breakfast/brunch, don't miss!”
Review of 900 Grayson

900 Grayson
Ranked #48 of 726 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed May 11, 2013

"Toasting makes me uncomfortable. But toast I love. Never start the day without a good piece of toast. In fact, let's toast to toast."

Will be adding these guys to our "rotation" - solid fare for breakfast & lunch with a menu that has a few twist's & turns - good ones, which makes for FUN.

Host, wait staff, and back counter have their thing DOWN for the most part - greeted & seated with a fresh squeezed OJ, coffee, and latte (good coffee & espresso, took another set to go) in under 5 min @ 11am on a Saturday - me LIKES that.

2 eggs over easy, bacon, hash browns, toast for the 3 year old - she SCARFFED it as usual - nice crispy hash browns, with a heart of tenderness.

Corned-Beef Hash (potatoes & parsnips), 2 soft poached eggs, toast for the wife. Solid & plentyful, otherwise ordinary breakfast standard, except for the parsnips, which gave a nice sweetness. NOTE: I'm a stickler when it comes to poached eggs - I asked the server to make sure they were SOFT poached, when cut in to, they did not "oooze". I was going to send it back - but Carla waved me off, even though she spent most of her time reaching over in to my Demon Lover (chick-a-chick, chick-a-bong bong).

The Chicken & Waffles (Demon Lover) were a nice surprise, I was going to pass on the gravy, but was glad I went with it - I could still taste the waffle too. Nicely breaded, all white chicken drizzled with enough of the creamy white gravy to make things interesting.

Hint: Don't miss the homemade preserves served with your toast... YUM!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Friendly busy place, serving good home style food. Get there early or be prepared to wait. No brunch reservations taken. We were a party of two on a Saturday morning. We got there a bit before half past eleven and had a twenty minute, wait. When we left a bit before one p.m. there was quite a crowd out front waiting to get in. Recommended are the house salad and chicken and waffles aka the "Demon Lover". No liquor license, the cocktails made with a South Korean rice wine are quite tasty, but tame. Kid and family friendly.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Great, unassuming little place with delicious food and friendly, efficient staff. Especially on a nice day when you can snag a table in the back garden, it's perfect to sit back and enjoy. It's always hard for me to order anything but the Demon Lover, delicious fried chicken on a delicious waffle, with maple syrup AND cream gravy! But the pulled pork is also awesome, and their burgers are the best! Also serving wine and beer, with Berkeley's great Trumer Pils on tap. Check it out!

Reviewed February 1, 2013

You gotta get to Oakland and 900 Grayson. You will probably have to stand in line for a bit, but they move you in and out pretty fast. But, the food is worth the wait. The "MUST HAVE" on the menu is the fried chicken and waffles with the white gravey.Didn't think you could eat waffles without butter and maple syrup (I'm from the South), but their white gravey is unbelievable !!
Fantastic service too.........

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I wanted to check out 900 Grayson because it's extremely close to both my work and my house so I was excited to see if I'd have a new favorite eatery. Unfortunately, the place just didn't live up to the reviews.

The restaurant is small, cozy and has a lovely outside patio area to dine on. It reminded me of walking to a cafe I went to in Santiago - rustic, plain and clean. The atmosphere was very welcoming and fun - everyone seemed to be in a good mood. We went for brunch and there were quite a few choices. My partner ordered the fried chicken, waffle and gravy plate - The Demon Lover. (The names of some of the dishes are cute and quirky, something that definitely sets them apart from other restaurants in the area. I must give them thumbs up for that.) But back to the bad... the chicken was completely raw. Not only was it raw it took the waiters at least 15 minutes to notice that the plate was pushed aside and we were waiting to be helped. They did get a new plate of food somewhat quickly but by that time my food was cold and our appetites were somewhat lost. What I did eat, Potter Creek a plate of herb scrambled eggs and hash browns was so-so. I was surprised by how much grease/oil was all over the hash browns and even the eggs so I couldn't eat much without feeling my tongue get coated with oil. All in all it was disappointing and unappetizing.

I plan on going back one more time; everyone needs a second chance!

1  Thank Rosy E