Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel
Rose Garden Inn(Berkeley)
$186
$179
  • Restaurant
Berkeley Rodeway Inn(Berkeley)(Great Value!)
$140
$125
$188
  • Breakfast included
$129
Downtown Berkeley Inn(Berkeley)(Great Value!)
1,604 results
All reviewstennis courtssteam roommeritage restaurantgrand old hotelbay viewbeautiful hotelsan franciscohotel guestsold schoolold worldberkeley hillsthe east baygolden gatefitness centervalet parkingold styleparagon
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed there last week for our anniversary. Had a wonderful time. The staff could not have been more accommodating. Joy at the front desk was very welcoming and was able to give us an upgrade to a room with a view. Our bellman, Jay, was very personable and willing to help us with anything we needed. To our surprise, a complimentary bottle of champagne was delivered to our room in honor of our anniversary. Very kind of them. The hotel was extremely clean. No problems at all with our room. Had lunch and breakfast at the hotel. Both with were very good and the service in both restaurants was great. This was our second stay there and we will definitely go again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

We couldn't be more pleased that you had such a great experience celebrating your special occasion at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, thank you for sharing your story. Providing our guests with exceptional service is of utmost importance to us and we are so glad your stay was a memorable one. Sometimes it is the small touches that make an experience that much more special. We look forward to seeing you again soon! On behalf of everyone here, Happy Anniversary.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

The location of the Claremont is ok provided you are happy with the $5 toll info San Francisco. This didn't bother us and the surrounding area is nice.

Check-in was fine, quick and very friendly. We were offered an 'upgrade' although I would have hated to see the room we were staying in.

Everything seemed a bit old and dusty. The view on this 'upgraded' room was rediculous. We could literally see the car park and a bit of a tennis court.

The hotel is very old but it shows. The staff do seem to try but the hotel just needs money spending on it. It needs a new lease of life.

Another thing to be aware of- Parking is $28 per day which is awful considering there is free Peking outside. Having said that we were aware before we went and booked anyway.

We didn't eat or use any of the services. Everything seemed a little lacking. Meritage did look nice though.

Spa and pool very dated and tired too.

Oh the wifi- forget it. Like being on dual up.

On the whole very disappointed. We have stayed in old hotels before and they generally just add an air of grandeur. The Claremont is just old!!!

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions. Our hotel is indeed a historic property but we do apologize if you were not fully impressed with all that we have to offer. While we are glad you enjoyed a quick and efficient check-in, your ultimate comfort is of utmost importance and we always urge guests to let us know what we can do to make their stay even better. It is truly regrettable that we were unable to do so for you while you were here. Thank you for your feedback. We hope that we can fully impress you with all that we have to offer for your next visit.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We have stayed at the Claremont at least six times in the last 5 years and we enjoy the hotel. It is an older hotel, so, sure, the property will have some frayed carpet and furniture scuffs. So does the Fairmount in S.F. and we paid almost 3 times the price there for a similar room without the other amenities offered by the Claremont. And because of the architecture some of the rooms are going to have a funky formation, and not all will have great views. But we never had the problems people have written about with musty smells or odd odors or dirty bathrooms or noisy hallways. Never!

The Hotel is historic. Pictures of past fesitivities adorn the walls. The bar area by the Meritage restaurant is a wonderful spot to enjoy a cocktail, appetizer or dinner, people watch and listen to the piano player. It is also a great spot to have the On the Go breakfast that is available at 06:00am and has great coffee drinks, yogurt, pastries, fruit, hardboiled eggs, etc. everything to get you going if you are an early riser. (Additionally the Meritage opens for breakfast at 0630am and we had a wonderful breakfast there as well, complete with your choice of several newspapers. I appreciate being able to get an early breakfast, and good coffee early in the morning before a workout or our departure.) We played checkers on the comfy couches by the check in desk and there are several balcony areas , complete with heating poles nearby if needed, to sit and enjoy the day or evening. .

My favorite part of the Claremont is The Club, the area with the tennis courts, pools, workout studio, exercise classes etc. It is always in great shape. No dysfunctioning cardio machines; a great choice of weight machines and a separate room for free weights that is ordered and clean. This is a facility that is available for the public too, so the pool area can be more crowded in the summer months during the day, but we were here in early August and never had a problem. There are 3 pools: (1) a longer pool that is warmer (probably over 80 degrees) for lap swimming, recreational swim. (In the early morning it is all lap lanes, later in the day it is divided for recreational swimming as well); (2) a lap pool that is slightly shorter and cooler, for more serious lap swimmers; and (3) a kids pool, complete with a fountain area--delightful on a warm summer day. The Club also offers classes from spinnning (requires early sign up), to salsa dancing to multiple types of yoga. You may have a great meal poolside, drinks as well, play ping pong , or just savor your surroundings, at the foot the a lush hillside and turn west to see views of the Golden Gate. The locker room is huge, no worries of crowding, with a large vanity area and inside steam, sauna and spa--all functioning each time we have visited. (In my experience that is rare--there is always some place where either the spa or the sauna or the steam room didn't work well.) They obviously take care of the facility.

I thought the staff was helpful, from the reservations desk, to the valet , to the woman in the gift shop and the housekeeper who did a great job each day. I sense they are serious about service and it shows. We did have a quesiton with the bill when we returned home and after a call to a recorded message went unanswered we called back, spoke w/ Ernesto who fixed it immediately, apologized for the error (which was minor) and offered to make it up to us on our next visit. I love the Claremont and we will be back.

Room Tip: If a view is important you probably want to ask for a west facing room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

What a lovely review, thank you! It is always our pleasure to comfortably accommodate our guests and providing the ultimate in service is what we hope to achieve. Our associates will love to know they continue to leave you with such a positive impression for each of your monthly visits and your kind words will be shared with all. We look forward to seeing you again and again.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed four nights on the LBNL lab rate of $115/night. Unfortunately you get what you pay for. I had three different rooms during the four nights of my stay and all of them had problems. Room number one was 121 on the first floor. The problems started when it took housekeeping 5 hours and several phone calls to get the bedding changed out from feather to non-feather. I finally had to follow a guy around the hotel pestering him until he got the stuff I needed for my room. The hotel ended up comping that night because of this. The room looked out over the back loading dock. So at 5am the trucks started arriving and backing up with that beeping sound and unloading stuff - this went on continuously until 10am when I asked to be moved to another room. I was moved to room 339 on the other side. This room was nice and quiet but it had a faint bug spray smell. After spending the night in the room the smell was more pronounced and even worse I had a few bug bites on my legs. So I asked to be moved again. I was told I could get a free "upgrade" to room 203 which was a PURE room and had a view of the bay. The view was not so important to me but the PURE room was a nice upgrade. Indeed the pillows on the bed were relatively new compared to the dumpy old "foam" pillows I was given instead of feather pillows. Also there was an air filter machine. However the HVAC was not working right in the room - it would not shut off - I think the thermostat may have been broken because the room would get very cold and I would have to turn it off manually. Fortunately the weather was mild the two nights I was there so it was not as much of a problem as it could have been. However this room was pretty noisy being relatively close to the elevator. The first night I was there I had drunk guests next door making noise in the hallway until late at night. This was a weekday and I was there on business travel. When I asked them to quiet down a big loud guy swore at me. I reported him and his colleagues to the front desk. Fortunately they left the next day and the place was a bit quieter. Overall this was a very poor stay compared to the properties I have stayed at elsewhere. I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and have never had this level of trouble. Even in the past when I had a cheap rate either lab or the petite queen rate it was not this bad. I had originally planned to spend three consecutive weeks at the Claremont but now I am going to go to the doubletree for the second week and see how that works for me. I will post another review comparing them once it is completed.

I can not give this hotel the worst rating of terrible because in fact the gym is excellent and this was one of the main reasons I booked the hotel. However I slept poorly and was too tired to make full use of the fitness facilities while at the Claremont.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the loading dock. Watch out for bugs and noisy rooms near the elevators.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

We couldn't be more disappointed by your comments. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the issues you experienced during your recent visit to our hotel. The incidents as described do not reflect our high standard of service and we appreciate that you have brought this to our attention. We would like to assure you that the hotel has very strict standards and protocols in place, including pest control. Please know that our management team is always available should any issues arise and despite your room change, we regret that your encounter was not all you had hoped it would be. We would love for you to give us another chance to earn your trust back in the future.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Enjoyed our stay. Frank at the front desk was extremely accommodating and Jennifer (I think that was her name)at concierge was very helpful in in recommending some day outtings and making arrangements for us.

• Stayed: August 2013

What could be better than a relaxing weekend escape? Thank you so much for sharing your review and appreciation for The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. We are delighted you had a positive experience and that our associates provided such hospitable and helpful service. We hope to see you again for another great getaway soon.